Essentials: do you rate them?

theo

pollymarchs 4 eva
I never rated essentials based upon hearing 'Jenny', but I just heard LAST NIGHT and that tune is heavy.
What our other essential tracks to check? What do you think of them?

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Jenny was an unfortunate choice of single really- a decent track, but not a patch on their self-aggrandising anthemns Can't Bring It To Essentials and Shut Down Shop. Those tunes simply rule. Pity they've never been properly released.

boy better know

I'm Serious
Fiddy said:
they are massive

apart from jendor

(sorry)

i'm not a fan of essentials. they don't seem to have any personality. can't really fault davinche's production, but the mcs do nothing for me whatsoever.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
For me, the fact that in some ways their MCs acknowledge their limitations makes them that much stronger as a unit- is it New Era who says "I might not be the best, but I'll merk any MC who wanna come test"?. This forming-as-a-unit, doing it for the team ethos makes them all the more stronger, indeed this doing it for my crew ethos is a very present theme in the lyrics- Jendor's lyrics on the Bossman special of Shut Down Shop are basically those of a hype man- "it's all about my DJ".

bun-u

Trumpet Police
Agree with Derek and Fiddy...and without Davinchie they'd have Bossman, who's also an topboy producer

bun-u said:
Agree with Derek and Fiddy...and without Davinchie they'd have Bossman, who's also an topboy producer

Ok - I wasnt aware Bossman also did tunes. Can you tell me some of the tunes he's done please?

C

captain easychord

isn't the fact that essentials hooked up with davinche itself indicative of 'talent'? recognizing talent and collaborating?

they work better as a unit than almost any other crew IMO. they all know each others lyrics and back each other up, and bossman is BIG DJ.

J

jimbackhouse

Tactics said:
Ok - I wasnt aware Bossman also did tunes. Can you tell me some of the tunes he's done please?

Bongo Eyes I & II for starters

Bongo Eyes II (reverse) is sick! every 16 bars it switches to this really absurd lurching reverse section which sounds as if the record's grinding to a halt. it's like a lumbering metallic monster. yet to hear any mcs over it.

From hearing those 2 tracks alone i'd totally rate bossman as a producer.

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
Jim, I'm sure I've got Bongo Eyes II on some radio sets I have on mp3. I could chop it out if you want to hear it?

I like Essentials, from the bit of them performing in Rhythm Division that's on both Risky Roadz and Aim High 2 they come across as a really tight crew who work well together and get things hype. Plus I'm into the fat/thin short/tall combination they have going on.

theo

pollymarchs 4 eva
Yeah when I saw them on Aim High they def seemed a little over the top, whats the name of the really short one who is well hyped?

Also does anyone know the name of the Essentials tune that is all made out of samples from Sonic The Hedgehog? It starts with the sound thats made when Sonic is drowning. I could yousendit if people want.

Last edited:

luka

they're not bad. i love davinche, even though he's not strictly in essentials he might was well be. i loke the little and large combination of bossman and jendor too. they look good together.

jimbackhouse said:
Bongo Eyes I & II for starters

Bongo Eyes II (reverse) is sick! every 16 bars it switches to this really absurd lurching reverse section which sounds as if the record's grinding to a halt. it's like a lumbering metallic monster. yet to hear any mcs over it.

From hearing those 2 tracks alone i'd totally rate bossman as a producer.

Ok. For me I still don't rate them lyrically or musically. Apart from what I was saying about Da'Vinche holding them up those two tunes you stated, for me, jus sound like wave editor mash ups or them bootleg tunes. In fact when I first heard both 'Bongo Eyes', I actually did think they were mashups lol. But good luck to them, they'll probably go far. It seems at Paperchase they have a stong work and business ethic.