Dancehall

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
This is dragging me thru winter at the moment. Love this riddim and a pretty all-star line up singing over it as well!

carmen

 
so we're what, 3 years into a couple new vybz kartel tracks a week? at what point do the mathematics work out such that he has to be voicemailing in tracks from prison having burned through tracks that could have been stockpiled "up to the crime". and isnt that a weird catchphrase? temporal origins - are they up to the time, or merely up to the crime?

is dancehall suffering due to everyone having to vocal B-grade stuff that was passed on in 2007 for fresher tunes? or, are new riddims being invented around vocals he originally recorded over different riddims? are both the riddims and vocals new? i know it doestn matter if theyre good but most of them dont really seem to be top notch so im going with gut-instincts that there's not a lot of mp3/voicemailing from prison going on?

edit.. whatever. let's just recycle disco

carmen

 
7.6.2 a niche within a niche

Nicki and Riri, a Trini and a Bajan are at the top of Global Pop, do they retain a trace of West-Indian'ness?

what do the analytics say about the grimey, foreboding dark grabba + grade folk-music of Jamaica? nobody is listening. all units plays-per-day

global hybrid w/ mega-commercial western/suburban/white edm-rave pop
210000 busy signal
200000 damian marley

quantity is there if you're not bored to tears

jamaica pop (zoukizomba luv)
40000 spice+kartel
8000 alkaline
7000 tommy lee
3100 busy signal
3000 busy signal
3000 busy
2500 busy signal

clearly, Busy Signal despite his impeccable world-leading skill is doomed to a 3000 plays-per-hit-day when not collaborating w EDM superstars

jamaica pop (leftfield & weird)
2600 alkaline
2400 busy signal
600 tommy lee

tommy lee shows a huge differential between his mainstream pop and weird-shit. it's quite hard for Busy to stray far from the land of
high-quality expensive-style

wildcard (UK)
400 gappy ranks
not bad, but why are 3rd-party remixes better?

"real" dancehall mixtapes
24 SHOKYRME
?? Deablo
28 Nicko Blast
5 KOREXX even endorsed by Delly Ranx. clearly a big ting

met with the same crickets as 2002 "practice hours" evening/late-night deja?

Last edited:

sadmanbarty

Here's the dancehall I've bought from the last 10 months:

Gaza Slim- Tun Up Di Ting

J Capri- Luv It

Vybz Kartel- Dancehall

HoodCelebrityy- Wine Pon It

Lady Saw- Boom Pon Buddy

Sizzla- Mad & Mean

Agent Sasco- Gossip

Spice- Needle Eye

Ishawna- Ooh La La

Top Secret Riddim is good.

In terms of of long players the only thing that comes to mind is Deablo- D’Next Day

Last edited:

sadmanbarty

Never heard capleton do this kind of track before. To be honest, i don't think its his strong suit.

This one has grown on me in a big way over the past couple of months: