Adult Fairytale type films

zhao

there are no accidents
I thought Pan's labyrinth was really good zhao. What did you not like about it?

i didn't not like it... i HATED the fact that fake tacky shit like this pretends to be "magical".

there is real film magic, which transports you to another world, another time, which unshackles you from the contraints of this mundane reality with ingenious use of the camera, of story telling.

and then there is atrocious pieces of shit like this and the new star wars films.

Hellboy is a fucking disgrace as well, to anyone who has ever read half of a comic. a character born of the Nazi interest in Tibetan occultism, and genuinely chilling and inventive stories of the supernatural, becames a stupid sitcom!! filled with stupid cliche banter like Friends or any number of banal cliche cutesy rubbish. people wake the fuck up. if you like these movies you need to get your head examined. pronto.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Night of the Hunter, seriously. Chat around it tends to focus on the expressionist cinematography or depression-era setting, but it's pure, gloves-off fairy tale.

That scene where the little girl is singing while her and her brother float downstream is total fairy tale action. It's got a whole bunch of woodland animals appearing, as if attracted by her song, ffs. It's awesome.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I enjoyed Pan's Labyrinth but it is very much within the tradition of commerical, effects heavy narrative cinema, so I think you won't be *that* into it Rich. It's a bit like Speilberg does Angela Carter I suppose rather than what a more interesting director would make of it.

I second the Night of the Hunter recommendation and also the Miike. Have you seen Gozu by him, Rich? That's basically a strange story that doesn't make sense with a shocking denouement. I don't know if it's like a fairy tale but it's very odd and worth watching.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I thought Pan's Labyrinth was better in those segments that weren't fantastical. The 'magical' segements weren't particualrly convincing or interesting.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Comparing *anything* to the Star Wars prequels is like the film-crit version of Godwin's Law or something...

I thought PL was quite a 'nice' film (albeit one with fascism, war, murder etc.) but the girl couldn't die fast enough for me after eating those grapes even though she'd been SPECIFICALLY warned not to. I like films where characters get punished for being stupid.

Her stepdad was an enjoyable villain, if totally over-the-top.

Trying to think of other films I've seen that might fit the bill...I remember seeing The Adventures of Baron Munchausen while drunk a very long time ago, but I seem to recall it being a lot of fun. I'd like to see it again, Terry Gilliam's always worth watching.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Time Bandits is good - in fact I'm always surprised by how good it is every time I re-watch it.
Yeah Night of the Hunter has some real fairytale bits - the song the girl sings kinda reminds me of Love Without Sound from White Noise which has that same disembodied feel.

Not seen Gozu.

Benny Bunter

i didn't not like it... i HATED the fact that fake tacky shit like this pretends to be "magical".

there is real film magic, which transports you to another world, another time, which unshackles you from the contraints of this mundane reality with ingenious use of the camera, of story telling.

and then there is atrocious pieces of shit like this and the new star wars films.

Hellboy is a fucking disgrace as well, to anyone who has ever read half of a comic. a character born of the Nazi interest in Tibetan occultism, and genuinely chilling and inventive stories of the supernatural, becames a stupid sitcom!! filled with stupid cliche banter like Friends or any number of banal cliche cutesy rubbish. people wake the fuck up. if you like these movies you need to get your head examined. pronto.

So full of hatred! (I still remember your froth-mouthed fervour on the Haters thread a while back). I'm not making a case for it as a cinematic masterpiece or anything but it was a quite pleasant way to spend a couple of hours, I don't think I need my head examining thanks. Its essentially a kid's film with added violence, not really worth hating on so strongly.

That said I agree with you about Hellboy being crap, though more because it didn't make any sense and was actually quite boring.

Benny Bunter

I thought PL was quite a 'nice' film (albeit one with fascism, war, murder etc.) but the girl couldn't die fast enough for me after eating those grapes even though she'd been SPECIFICALLY warned not to. I like films where characters get punished for being stupid.

Ha ha yes, that was annoying. Also the bit where Mercedes knifed the Captain but didn't bother to finish him off and just ran away. That was dumb.