Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Day Trips from London

Hmm, Southwold does look nice, how long does it take from London? What's to do there?

Also Dungeness, anyone been there?

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    Hmm, Southwold does look nice, how long does it take from London? What's to do there?
    Southwold is a couple of hours drive from Cambridge so not sure how do-able that is as a daytrip. Fuckit, lemme check.

Yeah, Liverpool St->Ipswich->Brampton->bus. Bit much perhaps but the rail travel is about 3hrs.

Just got a really pretty seafront/not that busy/these great places where they cook the fish straight off the boat/fantastic beer. Very olde worlde seaside vibe.

First time I went there I went into the pub and ordered a pint of Broadside, and when I tasted it I remarked at how shockingly good it was. Next day I realized the Adnams brewery was about 200 meters down the road.

Actually before I went to Southwold I went to Warbleswick, which is just down the road. The 70p a night campsite was full but they said we could camp just next to it for nothing. Think that place is no more though.

Hm, I lived on Walberswick Road in London. Never looked it up before now. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    What a huge crab! Nearly as big as your mum's, etc. etc.

Ahem.

Yeah, you don't have to go south from London to enjoy the seaside - there are meant to be lots of 'hidden gem' type spots in Essex and Sussex, although I don't know that part of the world myself, and during the summer they're probably going to less busy than the more obvious holiday places on the south coast - Cornwall, Devon, Sussex (IoW too, I guess).

Worth checking out if you're into marshes, dunes and bird life - I know Rich likes the birds (hur hur).
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

That's fundamentally what Dungeness looks like.

Bexhill looks great, having researched it.

"That's fundamentally what Dungeness looks like."
    I'm interested in these things though

http://www.davesnowdon.com/blog/soun...-pit-dungeness

"Bexhill looks great, having researched it."
    The pavilion is amazing - the rest of it is awful. Well, I guess you can walk along the front and see some fairly interesting buildings that haven't decided if they want to be houses or boats but apart from that it's literally just old folks' homes and charity shops that recycle the possessions of their denizens back into society when they die.

Those sound mirrors look bizarre - like some kind of concrete stone henge and probably equally inexplicable to any future civilisation.

Seems insane that anyone could think that they were gonna work but apparently they - almost - did.

Margate is wicked, go to Sundowners. Whitstable is twee but posh food nice. Canvey Island is a shithole. I saw an old person die at a bus stop in Bexhill once.

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    Margate is pretty awful, but then I grew up in Kent, and it might well have some art deco stuff. Whitstable is a bit chi-chi these days, I hear, all oyster bars and the like. Herne Bay I associate with driving tests, but it looked pretty grim even aside from that. Folkestone's probably my favourite place on the Kent coast - cliffs, faded glamour, definitely a cut above.
    Yeah, Margate is pretty grim, Ramsgate and Broadstairs are marginally nicer IIRC. Deal is quite good - a little english seaside town with a stony beach, a pier with a cafe at the end and north easterlies that could cut diamond. The ideal time of year to go there is about Christmas.

Herne Bay is a non-starter apart from having a second hand record shop called B-Side the Sea Side. It never had any glamour to fade as far as I can tell. Whitstable is beyond chi-chi, but it is quite pretty and there's a pub right on the shingle called the Neptune that does really good sheps beers and excellent crab sandwiches.

The only time I've been to Folkstone was for a chess tournament there when I was about 15. That was in an old hotel, though, and pretty much chimes with your description.

Where in Kent are you from?

Other - would love to go to Romney Marsh and / or Dungeness, haven't been since I was a kid (apart from a quick trip to Rye) and I think I'd appreciate it more now.

Would also like to see more of North Essex and Suffolk - real MR James Country. Maldon is good with the statue of Brithnoth, Walton on the Naze will be familiar to Swallows and Amazons fans as the setting of Secret Water. I still need to get to Snape and Aldeburgh. There was a great K-Punk post from ages back about weird WWII era stuff on the suffolk coastline. North Norfolk is also good, but a bit of a hike for a day trip.

All this East Anglia chat is making me feel ashamed, as a confirmed ale nerd and admirer of Cool Old Shit, that I haven't been to the St. Peter's brewery in Suffolk yet. According to their blurb it's in a mediaeval hall which presumably stands on the site of a Saxon hall as it still has a mote dug to keep out Vikings. Sweet.

Also, the nearest town is called Bungay. This has nothing at all do with my wanting to visit the place.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

"Margate is pretty awful"
    "Margate is wicked"
    "Yeah, Margate is pretty grim"
    Who/what to believe...

"Would also like to see more of North Essex and Suffolk - real MR James Country. Maldon is good with the statue of Brithnoth, Walton on the Naze will be familiar to Swallows and Amazons fans as the setting of Secret Water. I still need to get to Snape and Aldeburgh. There was a great K-Punk post from ages back about weird WWII era stuff on the suffolk coastline"
    I guess MR James was always lurking at the back of my mind with this thread - certainly when thinking about the countryside. And the sound mirrors have piqued my interest in weird WWII era stuff - do you have any links with pictures of this kind of thing?
    I read all the Swallows and Amazons books when I was very young, remind what happens in Secret Water? Which characters is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    All this East Anglia chat is making me feel ashamed, as a confirmed ale nerd and admirer of Cool Old Shit, that I haven't been to the St. Peter's brewery in Suffolk yet. According to their blurb it's in a mediaeval hall which presumably stands on the site of a Saxon hall as it still has a mote dug to keep out Vikings. Sweet.

Also, the nearest town is called Bungay. This has nothing at all do with my wanting to visit the place.
    I've been there around a dozen times, it was a couple of miles from my ex's parents' ranch. Food is good, beer is obviously excellent. There's an ancient-looking tapestry in the main hall. All the furniture is crooked. Lots of knick knacks and heirlooms scattered about. There's a moat too and toilets just that little bit too far from the main building to be entirely non-spooky late on a Winter's night.