Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Day Trips from London

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    Who/what to believe...

I guess MR James was always lurking at the back of my mind with this thread - certainly when thinking about the countryside. And the sound mirrors have piqued my interest in weird WWII era stuff - do you have any links with pictures of this kind of thing?
    Ah, this is what I was talking about:
    http://k-punk.abstractdynamics.org/archives/009453.html
    http://k-punk.abstractdynamics.org/archives/009474.html

I read all the Swallows and Amazons books when I was very young, remind what happens in Secret Water? Which characters is it?
    It's the one where they go south from Felixstowe to a big sort of tidal estuary thing with lots of islands and mudflats. And, needless to say, spend a week or so camping and sailing and exploring it.

Ah, I've read those K-Punk things before I think. Forgot about Dunwich - not much to see there though I guess these days or am I wrong?

Rich, if you are into those sound mirrors definately go to Dungeness; no where is better suited to be their home. The whole ares is beautifully bleak, with discarded fishermen's huts dotted about, whilst the nuclear power station looms over you.

Derek Jarman's house/garden is there too.

Take a camera. 'Tis a great place.

Ah, I've read those K-Punk things before I think. Forgot about Dunwich - not much to see there though I guess these days or am I wrong?
    Ha, awesome! With a name like that I ought to make a trip there myself: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dunwich_Horror

Those sound mirrors look amazing, truly otherworldly like they should be on the cover of a 60s sci-fi novel or an old Dr Who episode.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

my mum goes to bradwell chapel every year for new years eve. hangs about there in the dark. a friend of mine is from nearby, tollesbury or something it called. typical esturine essex. very atmospheric. flat. almost featureless. i think i've banged on about th wealth of day trrips from london on here before. whitstable is chichi but ive been going there since i was a baby and i will always have a soft soft for it. th old neptune on a windy day.... and if you have a car all the surrounding places are good too. so much of kent and essex is just wonderful for day trips. dungenoness, frinton, leigh on sea, all the places people have already mentioned really...
    dunwich , yeah not much to see. only went there once, cos of benjy b from on here. he said he was going to do the dunwich dynamo so i said i would then he chickened out but i done it with some mates and my little brother. its really fun.

"Derek Jarman's house/garden is there too."
    Yeah, was looking through a book of photos taken from there at Dan's house yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Slothrop View Post
    The only time I've been to Folkstone was for a chess tournament there when I was about 15. That was in an old hotel, though, and pretty much chimes with your description.

Where in Kent are you from?
    No way! I think I was at a chess tournament in Folkestone when I was 15....ah, sweet teenage rebellion...went back there later to teach for a bit, and it is a nice place.

I'm from Sittingbourne, thought by one 'celebrity' bouncer to be the scariest town he'd ever worked in. I can see why...although, being a complete wuss, I avoided the scarier pubs...

Edit: of course, Sheerness on a Saturday night is probably scarier....
    Last edited by baboon2004; 10-02-2011 at 02:04 PM.

when you all say chi chi, do you mean a pina colada?

BROADSTAIRS ALL DAY

Alex - oyster bars in Whitstable's case...

My views on Broadstairs are coloured by the fact that I vomited all the way there in the car when I was a kid. It wasn't very enjoyable after that.

Any more ideas on this topic? I was having an internet search for day trips from London cos I have a few days off this week, but nothing I've seen grabs me so far.

Recently I went on the Dedham Vale walk (go to Manningtree Station from Liverpool St, about an hour), English flatlands, Constable paintings, that kind of thing. That was pretty nice, unspectacular perhaps but quintessentially English countryside and pleasingly eerie in places.

But now my ideas vault is dry. And I don't want to go to Margate.

Kew Gardens is pretty cool if you like that sort of thing.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Thanks for the suggestion - will go there sometime soon.

I went to Dungeness in the end, via Folkestone. Strange place, although I didn't get to see the sound mirrors in the end, cos of insufficient time to walk there, and the fact that the coastal 'road' that passes by the mirrors is a pothole-riven alley.

That's what everyone says when I say that I had a good holiday there. And true enough I think that an immigrant was beaten to death there soon after our holiday came to an end. On the other hand, it has got a funicular.

Hven't been to Hastings in 20 years or more and it definitely was horrible back then. Otoh, I know a few people who've moved to nearby St Leonard's and like it, though I can't say if being a good place to live also makes it a good place to visit. But it does seem to have a bit of the same vibe as Leigh-on-Sea in Essex - one of those places people move to when they've got kids/had enough of London but can't afford to live in Brighton.