Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Day Trips from London

theyre fairly interchangeable and on a daytrip the surrounding countryside is not really relevant. both have good museums though, good gardens and good buildings that are really old. oxford is marred by all those mean little houses around it. both are marred by young succesful people with rosy cheeks and a future of huge economic reward ahead of them. oxford has better pubs i think, from what i can remember. but cambridge is certainly prettier and i prefer the atmosphere.

more importantly cambridge=jh prynne
    oxford=craig raine

a big divide in the tiny and privelged world of modern english poetry

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Rye in East Sussex is very picturesque, though it's right on the coast so I dunno how close it is to the Weald. Then again, we're talking about England here, so how far can it be?
    Rye's on the edge of the Weald, seem to remember going there as a kid.

I may end up going to Ashdown Forest (not actually a forest, more heathland), is the highest part of the Weald and it was the inspiration for Winnie the Pooh. Largest area of open public access land in SE England too, apparently.

I need a walk too. It needs to be accessible without a car and a needs to be out the city so I can take big lungfulls of good prana. 10 miles or so. Any ideas? South downs? Chilterns? Something coastal?

Actually I'll just follow hywell on this occasion I think. Looks great. I'll stalk him. Answer the question anyway though.

I like being stalked. Makes me feel wanted.

I'll let you know when I'm going...

I'm going Saturday. Day out for a recovering alcoholic.

Let me know how it is

So how'd it go down in Ashdown?

couldnt be fucked working out the transport arrangements. went tring instead. i will defeintly 100% but i was very scatty that week and couldnt concentrate on following instructions

I don't blame you - there's loads of different trails and I got confused reading up on it.

I'm probably gonna go to Scotney Castle sometime this week - looks prettty nice https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/scotney-castle ; more atmospheric than Leeds Castle at any rate
    Last edited by baboon2004; 21-04-2017 at 06:15 PM.

so i've (dis)regarded many of the suggestions here and settled on: three days in the midlands (a village outside northampton) with the wife's family, two days in brighton visiting friends, one day in margate, two days in a fisherman's hut in whitstable, and finishing up with 3.5 days in london. not that extended forecasts count for much, but the margate/whitstable/london days are looking mild and only 10% chance of rain.

bonus: leaving tonight, which means we're there to watch election day unfold.

thanks for all the suggestions. if you spot a panicked yank driving on the wrong side of the road, please wave hello.

You'll have a grand time. When you're in Whitstable, Canterbury and Chilham (the quintessential picturesque English village) are both worth a visit if you have a few spare hours.

Don't engage anyone in Kent in political conversation, though. Especially not now.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to baboon2004 For This Useful Post:

Leo

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    You'll have a grand time. When you're in Whitstable, Canterbury and Chilham (the quintessential picturesque English village) are both worth a visit if you have a few spare hours.

Don't engage anyone in Kent in political conversation, though. Especially not now.
    thanks, baboon...we planned on spending a half-day in Canterbury (it's where we're dropping the car rental and taking the train to london), will try to check out chilham as well.

12 days and only one with rain, and hot as hell for half of it. was i actually in england?

had good time, thanks for all the suggestions. brighton and margate were fun, whitstable was a relaxing two days of nothing to do but eat oysters and enjoy seaside sunsets out back of the old neptune pub (highly recommended). best laff: friends in herne hill took us to a converted former car park in peckham that now includes a movie theater and rooftop beer garden with sculptures. it was a blazing 30/90-degree day on sunday afternoon and the car park roof, without a spec of shade, is packed with hipsters drinking and presumably getting sunstroke. you guys are fucking weird. luv ya!