Day Trips from London

jenks

thread death
Not sure if this has been mentioned but I took the path out across Rainham marshes and rode along the Thames path all the way back home to Leigh. Most of it is easily rideable and the only bits that were a bit difficult would be fine most of the year round - and it's certainly walkable.
bike thames 1.jpg

bike thames 2.jpg

luka

I used to cycle to dartford all the time. Good trip. I like the landscape and the scenery round purfleet and rainham

IdleRich

IdleRich
Not sure if this has been mentioned but I took the path out across Rainham marshes and rode along the Thames path all the way back home to Leigh. Most of it is easily rideable and the only bits that were a bit difficult would be fine most of the year round - and it's certainly walkable.
Leigh on Sea? We used to like going there - oysters Fresh out of the sea on the beach and cockles and so on in all the pubs. Weird posh houses along the front, all different from each other.
My girlfriend took a picture of a sunny day on the beach and all of her friends in Russia asked where it was, she said a half-hour train ride from London and they just didn't believe her, they totally think it's a fogbound Victorian metropolis hundreds of miles from the sea and that the sun never shines in the UK (when actually it does peek through once or twice a year).

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Changing the title today cos in a minute we're going on a day trip from Lisbon to Setubal with one of the natives. Apparently there is another castle and I've been promised grottoes, the prospect of which has made me very excited. I will report back.
Setubal is amazing anyway, there is this weird bit where the road actually goes through this factory/mine type place that is really dystopian - and yet a few 100m along you're driving along these incredibly picturesque cliffs.
I found a stock pic of that factory, the coast road goes right through it

Terminal_Secil.JPG

Last edited:
i was in Plumstead yesterday. weird vibe. ominous. feels very Kentish too.

Plumstead/Abbey Wood/Thamesmead are all mostly shit, hate that end of the borough with a passion. Deeply depressed area, don't mean economically, just the claustrophobic vibe of the whole place. Couple of good chinese chippys though, and i guess plumstead common is a nice expanse but nothing going on there

Woolwich is a bit weird as they've forced the gentrification on it before it was meant to happen. So you have the berlin wall inbetween the real/old part of the place and then the arsenal re-development has basically made a false upmarket area butting up against the area/people it's trying to supplant. but- the dial arch is a good drinking space & taproom is an okay bar/brewery. it looks nice. just false.

But, Charlton has its charms- Maryon Wilson Park, the white Swan is a good pub- nice garden- if you dont go on match days, the weird industrial area down by the Thames barrier.

Erith Pier is lovely if you go further out although you are technically in kent then

the minutae of greenwich

Last edited:

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Avebury is doable, ish, if you set off early, just gun it down the M4. You could call into Waylands Smithy chambered tomb (simply majestic), Silbury and a few other sites too. South, south Oxfordshire into Wilts, unless you’re looking for bus routes only. Midweek is better.

If I ever do psychedelics again, not to get contrived and hippy but a walkabout around this complex will be the setting. I’d rather have these old gods and time lords to converse with than the patterns on our couch, if that makes sense.

jenks

thread death
Leigh on Sea? We used to like going there - oysters Fresh out of the sea on the beach and cockles and so on in all the pubs. Weird posh houses along the front, all different from each other.
My girlfriend took a picture of a sunny day on the beach and all of her friends in Russia asked where it was, she said a half-hour train ride from London and they just didn't believe her, they totally think it's a fogbound Victorian metropolis hundreds of miles from the sea and that the sun never shines in the UK (when actually it does peek through once or twice a year).
Leigh has much that would appeal. Possibly becoming a little too much ‘Shoreditch-by-the-Sea’ in places.
I wouldn’t go anywhere near an oyster straight out of the estuary though - recent dredging for the superport DP World has stirred up all kinds of nasty stuff which has been affecting sea life. Round the corner on the coast in the Roach and Crouch oysters have been farmed right back to Roman times and seem to be safer.

luka

slackk, yes it's moody as fuck. claustrophobic as you say, with all those cul-de-sacs and closed spaces, the underpasses and dead ends. things get sinister in south london in a way which is unique to it. it's not the people, it's the place itself.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Leigh has much that would appeal. Possibly becoming a little too much ‘Shoreditch-by-the-Sea’ in places.
I wouldn’t go anywhere near an oyster straight out of the estuary though - recent dredging for the superport DP World has stirred up all kinds of nasty stuff which has been affecting sea life. Round the corner on the coast in the Roach and Crouch oysters have been farmed right back to Roman times and seem to be safer.
Ah. Well I haven't been there for a few years now so hopefully the ones I ate were ok.... never harmed me anyhow.

it's a low energy malevolence. something sullen and fat in the landscape.

The "ice age" mythology is nonsense but to be fair this place is quite interesting, in Plumstead's defence-

But yes, there is a great unease about those postcodes. Worked in them far too long glad I'm out.