Dissensus' Ethical Question of the Day

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
#1 - If a friend has their wedding (for no discernible reason) in an apparently random and faraway city in the middle of the week, do I have to go? Or have they just succumbed to wedding madness?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
It's a fair question - she probably would, and I probably will end up going. But I would never make it so difficult for people to come to mine...

But i figure the communciation is mad. If you want people to come to your wedding (she lives in Oxford, btw), then make it relatively easy for them (transport and hotels don't cost nothing, after all). If you want to have a very small wedding with only a handful of people, only invite a few people. Inviting people but making it difficult for them is a sign of not knowing what you want, and doesn't make people feel as though you want them to be there, frankly. There's a small possibility there's a hidden reason I'm missing, but this is the kind of behaviour that makes me detest the whole idea of weddings....

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
oh i thought it was going to be one of those

"you're on a train and if it goes ahead it will kill 5 workers but if you pull a lever and make the train go down a separate track..." or

"if you could go back in time and kill Margaret Thatcher..."

i quite like those.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
You still single, baboon? Is there much chance of some drunken bridesmaid action?

Obviously this is indeed the main consideration. Sadly her really fit friend is married. Maybe there are others of whom I do not yet know?

Road trip is a good idea. Making it my annual drugs week is also a good idea.

IdleRich

IdleRich
But you live in London don't you Baboon? I'd hardly call Oxford a "random and far away city" - well it may be random but you can be there in less than an hour on the train. It's closer than Cockfosters.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Just tell her you'll turn up for her signing the divorce papers in about five years instead. ;)

This is the kind of honest, old-fashioned cynicism that I find so heartwarming. :)

Edit: Rich, baboon said his friend lives in Oxford but has chosen a 'random' city to get married in, which presumably excludes Oxford. Babs, how far are we talking? Are you going to have to catch a plane?

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
But you live in London don't you Baboon? I'd hardly call Oxford a "random and far away city" - well it may be random but you can be there in less than an hour on the train. It's closer than Cockfosters.

Ah yes, the point I didn't explain - it's in Glasgow, for presently obscure reasons. On a Thursday. This is my main point.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Ah yes, the point I didn't explain - it's in Glasgow, for presently obscure reasons. On a Thursday. This is my main point."
Ah, sorry, I get you. Well fuck her then - tell her you can't get the time off work.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I think I'm still bitter about spending loads of money on a stag do in Estonia only for the couple in question to divorce a year or so later. I want my money back. When my friend got married again (an arranged marriage this time) I flat out refused to go on another stag do - I think everyone else did too.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Haha - don't blame you in that instance. The problem is that I've never had any problems with the friend in question before, and it's disspiriting to think weddings can change someone's way of dealing with other people. Plus I don't like (any more) holding grudges against people that I can't really talk about (and in this situation it's difficult to talk about it)

Edit: If I ever get married, I'm having a do in London, will tell everyone specifically not to bother with wedding presents, but that they'll have to pay for their own drinks as on a normal night out, and then organise something really good with a modicum of free drugs per person.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Oh no. I'd like to go to Glasgow, don't get me wrong, but it's the combination of too far to travel there and back in a day, and in midweek. Hotel costs, flight costs blah, residual resentment blah.