Earthquakes!

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
6.3! :eek:

chch.jpg

Not looking good down under. Looks alot bigger then before.
Think NZ dissenians are in North Island but hope you and yours are safe.

Last edited:

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'
Pretty mental day, I was off work sick so didn't find out till about 4pm.
Everyone I know is okay, sounds as though lots of houses are destroyed though.

65 confirmed dead at the mo. :(

Actually smaller than the last one on the Richter scale but alot closer to the city and only 5km deep.
Live news feeds have been pretty disturbing this arvo.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Yeah, the only bod I knew of on here who was down South was the guy who kept getting banned - Hell Science or whatever.

I was DJing last night - bloody hard to know what to play when everyone's so fucking low low low. Mind you, fretting over selections certainly seemed pretty inconsequential in the face of shit like this.

Few light moments have come out of it, photos-wise. One this morning of a guy doing a mean jump on his BMX off a curled up chunk of road. Another of a collapsed ceiling exposing a massive load of weed that someone had obviously been growing. But sheeeeeeiiiiit.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
The thing I still can't quite get my head around is how full-on all this shit feels vs. how much stuff like the quake in Haiti, let alone the floods in Pakistan are in pretty much any terms you like to think of...

I don't mean this to downplay the Christchurch quake - quite the opposite really. It's more that it's intriguing how much more important it feels when something's on your doorstep / involves people you know. And the corrolary is more than a bit depressing, is all...

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Looks like end of days on the news.

Balls of fire one channel, huge tankers, hundreds of cars just swirling around on an other.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Current word is still that the reactor itself is intact. Wonder how long it'll take to find out for sure.

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
As many have pointed out, the fantastic engineering helped subdue the effect here in downtown tokyo, but the after shocks have been quite worrying. Felt sick for about a day, unsure as to when the ground was shaking or not.. many people have said the same thing

alec.tron

Creature of Meat and Hair
insane few weeks...
curious enough, I seem to know more kiwis who got into the Japan earthquakes than I know down in chch who experienced that one down there. In any case, fingers crossed that the faults calm down now...
"The powerful earthquake that unleashed a devastating tsunami on Friday appears to have moved the main island of Japan by eight feet (2.4 meters) and shifted the Earth on its axis."
http://ibnlive.in.com/news/quake-moves-japan-coast-shifts-earths-axis/145678-2.html
Got posted at work, but haven't seen it reported much elsewhere, so might have to be taken with a grain of salt... same as the woman who made warning videos on youtube 2 weeks before about imminent quakes in faultzones due to a meteor passing by...
Tinfoil hat here I come.
c.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
^ Yeah, I saw that and trotted over to Your Open Book (a website that lets you search everyone's statuses regardless of their security setting) and was suitably depressed:

http://youropenbook.org/?q="pearl+harbour"&gender=any

Tides have changed a bit, plenty of "WTF" responses to other people's comments, rather than just spitting evil.

A friend said something I thought was fairly spot on about it:
I'd wager every single one of those people has no passport and doesn't want one, and sees the Japanese (like most other foreigners) as pretty much equivalent to a mythical species. It's like gloating over payback on the frost spirits that messed up your crop last year.