where should i play in England and Ireland?

zhao

there are no accidents
finally, finally going to make my way to your beautiful country with teh bestest breakfasts.

as well as Dublin and maybe other cities in Ireland.

in May.

any suggestions which promoters / clubs might be interested in the classic, modern, and mutant Afro-Asian-Tropical sounds of NGOMA? i'm planning the trip and sending stuff out now...

big thanks in advance! and i hope to see some of you that i've met before, and meet some new Dissensus heads!

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
i should think in London you'd find lots of places. Not sure of the details myself, but places like CAMP on City Road seem to have varied and open music policies from what I can see from the e-mailouts I get. Somewhere like Corsica Stuidos in Elephant and Castle seems simialrly freeform, with lots of artists on the bill

IdleRich

IdleRich
There are a million places in London but they tend to offer different deals depending on what kind of thing you're gonna put on and how popular they think you will be plus what you will charge on the door etc I would say that the best thing to do is think about how many people you would expect to come (are you doing your own promotion?) and how late you want it to go on and then at least that narrows down the number of venues you need to consider. Once you've done that it's a matter of contacting them all and seeing what they would offer and ask of you for the night you're doing. That's for clubs anyway, I guess it would be better for you to find a promoter who wants to put you on and can do the legwork for you, on this though I'm afraid I can't help 'cause I don't really know much about afro-promoters in London.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I think another thing to consider is that 'white' and 'black' clubs tend to be pretty separate in London. Lots of African clubs which I'm sure would be interested in your kind of stuff, but they tend not to be promoted much in 'mainstream' media in my experience.

zhao

there are no accidents
strange can't find a single contact for Wifey... not on their website or anywhere.

lots of other suggestions from friends include

XOYO, The Empowering Church, Secousse, Passing Clouds, Afro-Futures...

john eden

male pale and stale
I think I've got a contact for Wifey, will check.

Passing Clouds is a venue but I think they have nights of that nature there...

zhao

there are no accidents
on the XOYO site:

If you decide to walk home, stick to well-lit streets and avoid using alleyways or short cuts. Keep your mind on your surroundings. In an emergency always call 999

more looking forward to going london town than ever! :D

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah Passing Clouds is a good suggestion - maybe 200 capacity and they do have nights of the right sort plus a fairly mixed crowd I'd say (or did a few years back) ie it kind of crosses that divide Baboon was speaking about earlier.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Fair point. I mean, I don´t know how mixed the crowd is at Passing Clouds but it´s one of the places that plays music that is still perceived as black (ie not funk or soul or any other ¨mobo¨ but actual modern day African stuff such as hi-life or whatever) to a white/hipster crowd.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
This is just based on a strange(ish) night in Dalston with my best friend and another friend (both black) when I went to two pubs where I was the only white person there, and then to Wifey at Visions Video Store (sorry guys, it's a great night!), where the only black people in the entire place apart from my friend were behind the bar or taking coats. I'm still not sure what my friend (as I dont' see her any longer) thought about the experience of that night, but the monoracial aspects of the whole evening resulted in some unspoken tension between us, unless I was being exceptionally paranoid. She had actually recommended going to Passing Clouds, I think :slanted:

PS The second pub we went to is really nice - think it's called the Victoria - a Cameroonian place near Balls Pond Road, where they were playing stuff that sounded like highlife.

zhao

there are no accidents
^^ well i'll more than likely be the only chinese dude at either type of place LOL :D

IdleRich

IdleRich
The guy who owns Visions is black but I guess (like most people in the area) he sees more potential in the hipster pound (seemed like a nice guy until he completely stiffed us the fucker). Got a feeling that The Victoria might be moving to get the same kind of crowd as well from the emails I get from them.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Know next to nothing about going out in London but I'll be in the audience :).

If all else fails, try The Others in Stoke Newington.