Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Smells

Quote Originally Posted by blacktulip View Post
    These are a staple for making the flat smell nice.

http://www.taliaessenze.com/asp/prod...?categoria=06b

Had a shitload of chilli and cooked chicken today, busting out some serious rear-guard action at the moment. Definitely interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by blacktulip View Post

These are a staple for making the flat smell nice.
    Fingers? You've got a candle that smells of fingers? Whose fingers?

maybe it's having the combination of a sweet nostril and a sense of smell that rarely picks up subleties, but I can't really get past the smell of good weed, no matter if just in passing on the street. i think if it smelled like shit, I wouldn't even want to smoke it.

Quote Originally Posted by mistersloane View Post
    Fingers? You've got a candle that smells of fingers? Whose fingers?
    Figs. To that.

Quote Originally Posted by pattycakes View Post
    after it rains, paving stones being dried by the sun
    Quote Originally Posted by slowtrain View Post
    Yes, to the above i would also like to add - water on hot concrete (its kinda similar)
    petrichor & geosmin

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    maybe it's having the combination of a sweet nostril and a sense of smell that rarely picks up subleties, but I can't really get past the smell of good weed, no matter if just in passing on the street. i think if it smelled like shit, I wouldn't even want to smoke it.
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm & hot countries which smell like weed

and also asafoetida, powerfully evil-smelling, except in curry

Quote Originally Posted by sufi View Post
    petrichor & geosmin

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm & hot countries which smell like weed

and also asafoetida, powerfully evil-smelling, except in curry
    Always knew about petrichor, didn't know about geosmin. It would seem that geosmin is the actual chemical in petrichor though...? (petrichor being the name for the smell itself, geosmin being the chemical?)

Its odd that we don't have more words for actual smells themselves. Are other languages more fluent in this?

And yeah good bud smells great. Goes well with hot and dry summer weather.

That documentary had us sniffing around the Shalimars at the local department store yesterday. =)

The Demeter Fragrance Library in Beijing :

http://www.demeterfragrance.com/

Great name. Weirdest fragrance I think isn't lobster, but New Zealand. I've never imagined smelling like a country before, it's quite good, very a rebours.

The Demeter Fragrance Library in Beijing :

http://www.demeterfragrance.com/

Great name. Weirdest fragrance I think isn't lobster, but New Zealand. I've never imagined smelling like a country before, it's quite good, very a rebours.
    I always thought Demeter was kind of naff, and apparently they use quite cheap ingredients, but I'm no expert with them. Be interested to try a few out though, I think there is a store in town that has them, they're cheap....

You should check out CB I Hate Perfumes (he was in the doco, the guy sniffing the dolls head) he actually sells his individual accords:

http://www.cbihateperfume.com/about-accords.html

Has lots of good ones: cello-tape, burnt wood, mushrooms (a variety), lots of dirts and lots of herbs.....

I've been getting really into fabric smells lately, loving wool (i actually quite like it when it gets a bit damp) and the smell that you get from when i heat my pyjama shirt on the heater - i suppose its individual fibres burning? Smells nice anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by slowtrain View Post
    I always thought Demeter was kind of naff, and apparently they use quite cheap ingredients, but I'm no expert with them. Be interested to try a few out though, I think there is a store in town that has them, they're cheap....

You should check out CB I Hate Perfumes (he was in the doco, the guy sniffing the dolls head) he actually sells his individual accords:

http://www.cbihateperfume.com/about-accords.html

Has lots of good ones: cello-tape, burnt wood, mushrooms (a variety), lots of dirts and lots of herbs.....

I've been getting really into fabric smells lately, loving wool (i actually quite like it when it gets a bit damp) and the smell that you get from when i heat my pyjama shirt on the heater - i suppose its individual fibres burning? Smells nice anyway.
    Ah cool will check them out. If you wore the New Zealand one you might become INVISIBLE!

Ah cool will check them out. If you wore the New Zealand one you might become INVISIBLE!
    Yes, or do a Grenouille thing and become the epitome of New Zealand-ness, finally culminating in my election as Prime Minister....

Maybe I should pick one up.

One thing I CANNOT stand is the smell of anything that's been badly washed-up. I think I mean washed up plates, cutlery etc. that haven't been rinsed and have had that soapy-greasy washing-up water allowed to dry on them. It actually makes me nauseous. I think I must be much more sensitive to it than other people because a lot of people clearly don't mind it.

The smell of hot dishwasher water is similarly gross, but these days I only get exposed to that at my parents' house.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 07-09-2011 at 07:54 PM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    One thing I CANNOT stand is the smell of anything that's been badly washed-up. I think I mean washed up plates, cutlery etc. that hasn't been rinsed and has had that soapy-greasy washing-up water allowed to dry on it. It actually makes me nauseous. I think I must be much more sensitive to it than other people because a lot of people clearly don't mind it.

The smell of hot dishwasher water is similarly gross, but these days I only get exposed to that at my parents' house.
    Isn't it the case that most people in the UK never rinse their dishes?