Interesting Smells

slowtrain

The Demeter Fragrance Library in Beijing :

http://www.demeterfragrance.com/

Great name. Weirdest fragrance I think isn't lobster, but New Zealand. I've never imagined smelling like a country before, it's quite good, very a rebours.

I always thought Demeter was kind of naff, and apparently they use quite cheap ingredients, but I'm no expert with them. Be interested to try a few out though, I think there is a store in town that has them, they're cheap....

You should check out CB I Hate Perfumes (he was in the doco, the guy sniffing the dolls head) he actually sells his individual accords:

http://www.cbihateperfume.com/about-accords.html

Has lots of good ones: cello-tape, burnt wood, mushrooms (a variety), lots of dirts and lots of herbs.....

I've been getting really into fabric smells lately, loving wool (i actually quite like it when it gets a bit damp) and the smell that you get from when i heat my pyjama shirt on the heater - i suppose its individual fibres burning? Smells nice anyway.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I always thought Demeter was kind of naff, and apparently they use quite cheap ingredients, but I'm no expert with them. Be interested to try a few out though, I think there is a store in town that has them, they're cheap....

You should check out CB I Hate Perfumes (he was in the doco, the guy sniffing the dolls head) he actually sells his individual accords:

http://www.cbihateperfume.com/about-accords.html

Has lots of good ones: cello-tape, burnt wood, mushrooms (a variety), lots of dirts and lots of herbs.....

I've been getting really into fabric smells lately, loving wool (i actually quite like it when it gets a bit damp) and the smell that you get from when i heat my pyjama shirt on the heater - i suppose its individual fibres burning? Smells nice anyway.

Ah cool will check them out. If you wore the New Zealand one you might become INVISIBLE!

slowtrain

Ah cool will check them out. If you wore the New Zealand one you might become INVISIBLE!

Yes, or do a Grenouille thing and become the epitome of New Zealand-ness, finally culminating in my election as Prime Minister....

Maybe I should pick one up.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
One thing I CANNOT stand is the smell of anything that's been badly washed-up. I think I mean washed up plates, cutlery etc. that haven't been rinsed and have had that soapy-greasy washing-up water allowed to dry on them. It actually makes me nauseous. I think I must be much more sensitive to it than other people because a lot of people clearly don't mind it.

The smell of hot dishwasher water is similarly gross, but these days I only get exposed to that at my parents' house.

Last edited:

blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes
One thing I CANNOT stand is the smell of anything that's been badly washed-up. I think I mean washed up plates, cutlery etc. that hasn't been rinsed and has had that soapy-greasy washing-up water allowed to dry on it. It actually makes me nauseous. I think I must be much more sensitive to it than other people because a lot of people clearly don't mind it.

The smell of hot dishwasher water is similarly gross, but these days I only get exposed to that at my parents' house.

Isn't it the case that most people in the UK never rinse their dishes?

One thing I CANNOT stand is the smell of anything that's been badly washed-up. I think I mean washed up plates, cutlery etc. that haven't been rinsed and have had that soapy-greasy washing-up water allowed to dry on them. It actually makes me nauseous. I think I must be much more sensitive to it than other people because a lot of people clearly don't mind it.

Yes, it's mortifying. Why is there no detergent that tastes good? Too often the soapy odour is accompanied by a grimy scum or smear, which you know would reveal itself as a faecal bioscape of seething grime that will give your guts gas gangrene.

The divorce courts are full of such grievances.

The smell of torn-open air that oozes out of electric motors. Is that the smell of cells in your nose dying from ozone exposure?

The seaside is often said to smell of ozone. This is unlikely to be correct, that smell is surely airborne salt and the marine equivalent of geosmin?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yes, it's mortifying. Why is there no detergent that tastes
good?

I don't really care what the detergent tastes like because the idea is that when you've washed up, your things are clean, not covered in detergent. And I'm not madly germ-phobic so it's not a deep terror of death from cholera that puts me off unrinsed plates and glasses, it's just the nauseating smell. And most modern kitchens have that double-sink thing going on, so there's really no excuse for not just running stuff under the cold tap for a second before you stack it up.

David Mitchell made a good point about hygiene obsession on TV once, talking about how stupid all these adverts that try to scare you into buying some super-duper kitchen product with lurid descriptions of all the VILE BACTERIA lurking on your chopping board - which is obviously fine as it is, because who knows anyone who's died from using an unhygienic chopping board? Just wipe it with a bit of detergent-y water and you're good to go, unless you cook offal on a regular basis and who the fuck eats offal these days?

The divorce courts are full of such grievances.

Ha, I don't doubt it.

Re. ozone, I think there are two different meanings. Literally, ozone is an allotrope of oxygen (0_3) that's good at absorbing UV light but bad for you if inhaled. Figuratively, "ozone" is just a fancy way of saying "fresh sea air". I don't know if salt can get airborne but it's not implausible, I guess.

Last edited:

luka

i like how you walk through various olfactory envelopes as you move through the city
chicken grease from favourite, humid air and hot linen from laundrette or dry cleaners, stale beer and urine from the pub etc

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
that pub/club rankness that emerged from the smoking ban was a nasty new odour for us all to savour...

Yeah, that's a real drawback from the ban.

Maybe I should invent a smoke machine that makes a tobacco-scented smoke to mask the stale piss smell, only without the ambient canceriness and that somehow doesn't leave your clothes and hair smelling like an ashtray.