Rolling cheap holiday apartment/hotel thread

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Does anyone have any recs on where to look to get cheap apartments for 7-8 people in Barcelona for five days? I usually use booking.com, which has amazing cheap offers, but this seems less useful when looking for places for more than 4 people...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I dunno how helpful this is, but some mates of a mine went to Barce a few years back for the Sonar festival and had booked an apartment from a website that described it as 'well placed' - when they got there they found it was on the absolute edge of the city and they pretty much had to commute to get into the centre. By the sound of it, it was a bit like coming to London to see the Houses of Parliament, Shoreditch nightlife etc. while based in West Ruislip. No idea what the website was called but you may well end up on the same one if you just google 'holiday apartments Barcelona' or similar...

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Thanks. I never want to see West Ruislip again. Thankfully have a rough knowledge of Barcelona, so shouldn't get caught out on that particular front, but maybe others.... :eek:

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Obligatory Barcelona tourist tips (it's a subject I could bore for britain on):
* go to the food market on the Ramblas, go to Pinoxos Bar (it's a random market stall tapas place) and have the salt cod and lentil salad, it's actually fantastic
* if you only go to one modernista thing apart from the Sagrada Familia, make it the palau de musica and do the guided tour
* if you get the arse with modernistas go and see the Mies Van Der Rohe pavillion for some actual modernism
* get dinner at Can Mano in Barcelonetta, they do brilliant homestyle pan-fried fish with herbs type food for next no money in a backstreet formica clad canteen where you get hassled by old women selling lottery tickets as you eat. My sister used to live across the road and I haven't forgiven her for moving away yet...

Benny Bunter

Its looking quite likely that I'll be moving to Barcelona in September. if I do I'll probably be looking for apartments to rent in the Gracia district as I stayed there a few years ago for a week and loved it, and it seemed reasonably cheap for Barcelona. try there?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Obligatory Barcelona tourist tips (it's a subject I could bore for britain on):
* go to the food market on the Ramblas, go to Pinoxos Bar (it's a random market stall tapas place) and have the salt cod and lentil salad, it's actually fantastic
* if you only go to one modernista thing apart from the Sagrada Familia, make it the palau de musica and do the guided tour
* if you get the arse with modernistas go and see the Mies Van Der Rohe pavillion for some actual modernism
* get dinner at Can Mano in Barcelonetta, they do brilliant homestyle pan-fried fish with herbs type food for next no money in a backstreet formica clad canteen where you get hassled by old women selling lottery tickets as you eat. My sister used to live across the road and I haven't forgiven her for moving away yet...

Hey, great tips, thanks! Will def do both the foodie things....

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
There's a Museum of Erotica which is a whole lot less tacky than it could be and actually kinda fun...

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Anyone know anything about Bruges? Esp where to stay?

Just two of us, staying for a few days. Somewhere with a basic self catering option would be ideal but not essential so we don't spazz loads of money on eating out every night...