tempman
that angry kid out of pdc
bully from dsn
big ted
fem fel
the other blade not the one i said before

Last edited:

luka

i stopped listeing to that music in 1995 so nah, i never evn heard of those guys. no offence. im 31 tho.

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'
No mentions of 2Shy or SP:MC luka?

Easily my favourite DNB heads the last five years or so...

SP has moved beyond both dnb and mc'ing really. He's in his own little space in terms of quality I'd say; but he's ultimately tied to MC'ing over music that isn't designed to have an MC flow over it.

*edit; and by designed, I mean it's not MC focused or in any way necessary to have an MC*

Last edited:

gumdrops

grime -
trim
dee
dizzee (2002-03 era)
more fire (not fire camp)
riko
gods gift (around 2003)
kano (up to around 2005)
stush
doogz - still an amazing mc technically but i dont warm to him much anymore - but he was amazing back in the mid 00s.
ghetto
griminal
jookie mundo (just for that verse he did on wileys playtime is over album)

i dunno, too many to name. could argue they were all at their peak back then and now dont demand your attention quite as much as they did but i still like most of the guys i mentioned. p money has that sort of thing where you can tell hes always trying quite hard but i wouldnt say he was 'try hard' if that makes sense and he has made a lot of the best grime vocals of recent times so i would say he def deserves a place here.

uk hip hop
rodney p
bionic
mc d
cant think who else just now
do like roots manuva but think hes a bit soft at times
(all my ukhh names will be old tbh)

dont know enough about road rap to name anyone - i wouldnt put giggs in any list like this. id add warrior queen too - she wrecks pretty much every track she does doesnt she? a very underrated uk mc i would say.

gumdrops

ukhh wise, id say demon boyz too just for glimity glamity (proper uk dancehall lineage there - google it if youve never heard it before). dont like much else of what they did though. good beats though. fallacy is often overlooked also.

i forgot to mention uk apache for jungle mcing.
cant believe i forgot ms dynamite.

gumdrops

that one is quite good, yeah.

this guy amazingly was actually from london, battersea i think, but he spent some time in new york and came back sounding like big l lol. really convincing though. and he was good, if someone with a severe identity crisis.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
A lot of UK MCs have pretty shit voices, they sound whiny or anonymous, or anonymously whiny. This is the case with a lot of Road Rap that I've heard - the beats are good, the lyrics are alright, there might be some nice punchlines in there etc. but the MCs voice is just a bit boring.

I almost get the sense that, whereas in grime MCs accentuated aggression/idiosyncrasy of tone/delivery, in Road Rap there seems to be a conscious effort to drain delivery of emotion - maybe to project the image of cold hearted badman or something? Or maybe just because it fits in with the production. Actually I think this contributes to the overall sound and atmosphere of the music (I.E. Roots - Cruddy Freestyle is entirely generic but I love it), but it also makes it seem a bit dreary to me. Giggs has that imposing deep voice that makes him stick out within the scene (although I listened to his latest mixtape the other day and his voice bored me after a few tracks too).

American hip-hop seems to have a lot more range in vocal/production styles, but then it would, since it comes from such a huge range of places within a gigantic country, while Road Rap I suppose mostly comes from London (and probably from a few small areas within London). Grime MCs seemed to have that range of delivery/voice/style, though - Wiley, D Double, Goodz, Trim etc. are all instantly recognisable as well as being technically brilliant. To me Grime is/was the real UK Hip-Hop; it wasn't a knock-off of an American original. I can't dismiss road rap as being that (although it seems clearly more in thrall to American hip-hop than grime was) cos I haven't heard enough.

I love UK MCs in jungle, garage, funky and grime, though. And some UK Hip-Hop MCs are good too - Roots Manuva, Kalashnikov... But yeah, I can't really get past this notion that UK Hip-Hop is essentially a lesser version of American hip-hop.

outraygeous

Its to hard to say who is the best, they all have their own qualities. Even someone like Dan from Meridian had skills

Shyloc goes down as one of my faves tho.

gumdrops

theres got to be some ukhh guys im forgetting. thing is though i was youtubing old stuff like scientists of sound and even some mc mello i used to like and it just sounded a bit imitative. there was a post on the wires blog the other week about how this stuff is ripe for revival and while i agree just so ppl can see where tinie and dizzee or whoever's predecessors were, ukhh has not always been that great. still, some of those beats on old gunshot records are pretty exciting even if the rapping is a bit flat.

anyway, this is pretty classic -
everyone on this is good. though having a sung chorus on a track like this is a bit lame.
youve yet to see the best of p....'
rodney p was great.

and as far as garage, ms dynamite makes most male mcs look crap here:

Last edited: