Demo on Saturday

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'
What sort of follow up were you expecting? In terms of politics or news coverage?

Plenty of the latter now I think... all wrong though. ;)

Well I expected neutral coverage, I found basically no coverage at all.
It was almost as though nobody told them anything was going to happen and they had flat feet or something.

I get the distinct impression you lot don't find the BBC to be as neutral as the rest of the world views it?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Yes. Some of it is justified - Fortnum & Mason seems to have been a misjudged target (though I'm certainly no tax lawyer) and having a spokeswoman justify with reference to the super-rich and Royal Family is superdumb. I'm also not convinced of the wisdom of staging a protest on that day so near the park.

Yeah I was disappointed at that, I thought we'd gone beyond eat the rich. Not that that's NOT a good idea, but...

TimWorstall and comments are quite interesting re the tax thing :

http://timworstall.com/2011/03/26/ukuncut-occupying-fortum-and-mason/

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I get the distinct impression you lot don't find the BBC to be as neutral as the rest of the world views it?

No, it's not unbiased anymore; it often reads like pravda, though not necessarily for the government, more like the upholders of a mythical status quo. I increasingly find their news reporting unbearably simplistic, compared with Al-Jazeera, though the B has some great talk pieces. There was a great Trisha-style show on homosexuality and Africa on a while back.

john eden

male pale and stale
Well I expected neutral coverage, I found basically no coverage at all.
It was almost as though nobody told them anything was going to happen and they had flat feet or something.

I don't think many people have seen the BBC's news coverage as neutral for a good while. Certainly they've been on the back foot since the gulf war. There are a few reasons for this, but one significant one is that they are fearful for their their funding - lots of Murdoch media sponsored people claiming the TV Licence is a monopoly and unfair competition.

Coverage of protest is generally quite rubbish and it is very rare indeed for someone from a trade union to get a fair hearing on the BBC when strike action is being considered.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Popped along to the demo outside Atos International/Atos healthcare this lunchtime. They're the french company who have the contract for doing the medical tests for moving people from Incapacity Benefit to the newspeak Employment and Support Allowance. Generally they're fascist cunts making money off the back of vulnerable people's misery, and the fact they're french-owned further gives the lie to the idea that privatisation even has anything to do with benefitting Britain (obv it's a bad thign anyways, but the hypocrisy is staggering).

69 per cent of people tested have been refused ESA and have to claim JSA instead (£25 a week less, if I'm right). In 40 per cent of those cases where this has been appealed, the original verdict has been thrown out by the courts, showing full well that everyone knows this process is biased and fucked, and that the whole set-up, though not a 'conspiracy' as such, is clearly providing a gravy train for private companies and lawyers.

Facebook page said 500ish would be there; sadly more like 80 people....Guardian journalist was meant to be there, so hoepfully he was and this will get coverage tomorrow.

Obviously police there in abundance, in case people started rolling menacingly towards the building.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.

I think BBC World is much better than the res tof the BBC, or at least I strongly get that impression. As soon as it becomes domestic politics covered by the regular BBC, it becomes shit.