Nostalgia

zhao

there are no accidents
original post was not really about "nostalgia" was it... more like sudden deep memory flashes.

which i do very much get from time to time, and yes it is pretty amazing when it happens... i always wish, just wish i could remember more clearly, and just more of that feeling of being 5 or whatever, but of course it's gone in seconds flat. would be well interesting to do regression/hypno therapy, or certain meditation methods which can bring back deep memories... i wonder if and when i get to 75, and living somewhere else, i would have memory flashes of the feeling of living in Berlin in 2011...

zhao

there are no accidents
I know just what you mean. Like a valve as been opened in your mind releasing a past feeling.

which is not the same as deja vu. or maybe related? is it possible that this, like some have claimed for deja vu, can also be attributed to some kind of neurological mishap, and not at all a glimpse of one's actual memories? i would say no, because the feeling seems too real and the fragments seem like they are really from my childhood...

RWY

“Nostalgia goes beyond individual psychology. At first glance, nostalgia is a longing for a place, but actually it is a yearning for a different time - the time of our childhood, the slower rhythms of our dreams. In a broader sense, nostalgia is a rebellion against the modern idea of time, the time of history and progress. The nostalgic desires to obliterate history and turn it into a private or collective mythology, to revisit time like space, refusing to surrender to the irreversibility of time that plagues the human condition.”

“As for time, it is forever shrinking. Oppressed by multitasking and managerial efficiency, we live under a perpetual time pressure. The disease of this millennium will be called chronophobia or speedomania, and its treatment will be embarrassingly old-fashioned. Contemporary nostalgia is not so much about the past as about vanishing the present.”

“This kind of nostalgia characterizes national and nationalist revivals all over the world, which engage in the antimodern myth-making of history by means of a return to national symbols and myths and, occasionally, through swapping conspiracy theories. Restorative nostalgia manifests itself in total reconstructions of monuments of the past, while reflective nostalgia lingers on ruins, the patina of time and history, in the dreams of another place and another time.”

“From the seventeenth to the nineteenth century, the representation of time itself changed; it moved away from allegorical human figures— an old man, a blind youth holding an hourglass, a woman with bared breasts representing Fate— to the impersonal language of numbers: railroad schedules, the bottom line of industrial progress. Time was no longer shifting sand; time was money. Yet the modern era also allowed for multiple conceptions of time and made the experience of time more individual and creative.”

“What is crucial is that nostalgia was not merely an expression of local longing, but a result of a new understanding of time and space that made the division into “local” and “universal” possible. The nostalgic creature has internalized this division, but instead of aspiring for the universal and the progressive he looks backward and yearns for the particular.”

“Nostalgia was diagnosed at a time when art and science had not yet entirely severed their umbilical ties and when the mind and body—internal and external well-being—were treated together. This was a diagnosis of a poetic science—and we should not smile condescendingly on the diligent Swiss doctors. Our progeny well might poeticize depression and see it as a metaphor for a global atmospheric condition, immune to treatment with Prozac.”

The Future of Nostalgia -
Svetlana Boym

catalog

I prefer ‘dick softener’ to delibidinizing, why the fuck couldnt lacan or whoever just say that instead the bell end

RWY

Who coined this? It wasn't Mark was it? Or maybe it was. It's become a major part of the Internet that idea. Loads of YouTube comments etc

Surely that idea has to predate his writing on the subject?

Dissensus is anti-nostalgia when it comes to art. not radical enough, a waste of energy. delibidinising

Are you nostalgic for anything shiels?

luka

Delibidininising always made the lads laugh when K-Punk used it. We all took it up amongst ourselves we still use it all the time

catalog

Can you explain please
David keenan wrote a famous article in the wire all about something he called hypnagogic pop = ferraro, hype williams et al, that it was nostalgia for the 80s but some of them werent old enough, so it was imagined, which made it better. I got a scan somewhere but thats the gist.

luka

Surely that idea has to predate his writing on the subject?
Are you nostalgic for anything shiels?

That's what I thought it's one of those ideas that connect as soon as you hear it, or make you think you always had it even if you hadn't articulated it to yourself

luka

I like Stan's definition of neoliberalism as the stage of capitalism where it's reached into your pants and into your soul and covered everything in goo. I liked it better when the goo hadn't gotten everywhere.