Votes: 9 64.3%
  • First Past the Post

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Other (please specify...)

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

STN

sou'wester
I am quite baffled by this and really don't know what to think. That said, I'm not allowed to vote in this country, so perhaps I should stop worrying. Thought it might be nice to have a thread though.

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'
This AV stuff sounds like a good idea.
There's interesting data from down here in the colonies where we've had MMP (separate party and regional/electorate votes) going for a while now after switching from FPTP... Some of it is a function of the particular system used, but it sounds as though the most recent election in the ewe kay would have turned out somewhat differently (better?) had another system been used - I recall some BBC infographics on the subject?

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I think a big part of what I like about AV is that, by making the "I really want for this but I'd settle for that" process explicit, by making it easier for smaller and more specialized parties to break into the system and by increasing the likelihood of coalition government, it brings the ideological compromises that are currently decided by focus groups and spin doctors behind the scenes at Party HQ out into the open and makes them into something that everyone is aware of and participating in.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I think I'm gonna vote for AV - it just seems like a slight step towards a fairer system although obviously there are pros and cons of both sides. The negativity of the "no" campaign - ok it's a campaign saying no, it's gonna be negative but they are not making the case for any advantages of FPTP as far as I can see - which has incorporated downright lies has made me even more certain. Not that the "yes" campaign has been that much more positive.
Also, I'm surprised how explicit a number of people (eg Prescott I think) have been in saying "I'm voting for/against because it will increase/decrease the number of votes that I expect my party to get" - what the fuck has that got to do with electoral reform and the good of the country?
Presumably, though, that's why the BNP are voting against which gives the lie to most people's fear that AV will improve their chances. Actually, it doesn't really, they've probably just done their sums wrong because they haven't got any actual statisticians.
One thing I'm confused about is how many times I've read things saying "if we'd had AV then we would have had the same result in x% of elections" or suchlike - that's assuming that people would have voted the same if we'd had AV at the time, maybe they wouldn't have done.

IdleRich

IdleRich
David Cameron is voting "no" so that's good enough for me.
Please ignore my blatant hypocrisy as regards negative campaigning.

john eden

male pale and stale
I think everyone agrees A/V is cobblers. I can't see it making any significant difference to the outcome of elections any time soon.

I think I'm going to abstain because I don't want to be seen to endorse FPTP.

Also A/V not being adopted will make Clegg look like even more of a dick than he does already, which is all for the good.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Also A/V not being adopted will make Clegg look like even more of a dick than he does already, which is all for the good."
But it being adopted will make Cameron look like even more of a dick than he does already (and make him seriously unpopular with his party) which is also all to the good - in fact I think it might be better. In a sense though it is a win-win which you don't get very often in politics.

crackerjack

But it being adopted will make Cameron look like even more of a dick than he does already (and make him seriously unpopular with his party) which is also all to the good - in fact I think it might be better.

Yes, there's no question about it - an AV win would do far more damage to Cameron than a loss would do to Clegg.