Dissensus Raw Productions

other_life

bioconfused
from the thread i tried starting, what i've been workin on for the 2020's:
"and this vocal record that's yet to be released https://hostb.org/FV5 (first time i've had vocals on a record in ~7 years!)

then this is what i'm working on rn for next year https://hostb.org/EF8 [this is really the Link]
(includes a folder of imagery guiding the record) (would recommend listening in ascending order of length)
if you could take half the songs off this record which ones would they be, and (if u feel like saying) why?"

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Hey other_life, I downloaded your two albums the other day and listened to We Lost The Plot a couple of times at work today.

General impressions: great atmospherics! I'd say my two favourite pieces are the two dubby/d'n'b-ish ones, Crisis Is Here and Swarmmachine. They both pleasantly remind me of older Aphex without sounding derivative of him. The droney guitars on Xenolith are lovely too. The two long, entirely ambient tracks didn't hold my attention so well, but I think they'd be great to listen to while drifting off to sleep.

Respect for keeping them as .wav files! I confess that I converted them to mp3s to put on my music player (but with the sample rate and bit depth turned up to max, don't worry :cool:). BTW it's a good idea to put track numbers in the filenames, because without them my player just puts them in alphabetical order and any effect you were going for in terms of album flow is lost.

I'll listen to the other one next week. Good work!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
<iframe width="100%" height="300" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" allow="autoplay" src=""></iframe>

More cold-electronics-with-a-dose-of-funk, this time with more of an EBM sound than techno.

Last edited:

other_life

bioconfused
i have no idea what i want in terms of album flow tbh
feeling the drone pieces (other than xenolith) might belong on a separate record
i keep stuff as wav out of habit bc it's what bandcamp asks for 🤷

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
yo this footage is sampled from the red spectacles, yeah? or something different i'm not familiar with?
commenting on the actual music i like these tunes fine, instrumental grime/dubstep but like... i like the synth sounds way better than the drums? the drums feel loose, stumbling, clunky. slow attack on the individual hits, sound like they come from all different sample packs. maybe not treated enough w effects and too 'out of the box' sounding?
if that's an intentional aesthetic choice (i can see that and the appeal of it) then ignore me 🤷 but
listen to how much is filtered out and boosted up w eq on these drum hits, and it's a pretty limited set of individual hits as well? really works for this track imo

the clip is from straydog: kerberos panzer cops, one of oshii's live action movies. and i agree completely on what your write about the drums. it's not on purpose, it's just because i don't know anything about mixing down, mastering, equalizing, etc. sometimes i'm lucky and it somehow plays out good in the end, in this case it didn't.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
<iframe width="100%" height="200" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" allow="autoplay" src=""></iframe>

Finished another tune from a couple of years ago. Think it sounds quite good now. Pleased with how the synth sounds came out.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
<iframe width="100%" height="150" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" allow="autoplay" src=""></iframe>

made this last night. getting my groove back after a few years of wishy washyness. feels good to have an all nighter and make a whole track.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
More stoner rock type stuff:

<iframe width="100%" height="300" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" allow="autoplay" src=""></iframe>

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
<iframe width="100%" height="150" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" allow="autoplay" src=""></iframe>

made this last night. getting my groove back after a few years of wishy washyness. feels good to have an all nighter and make a whole track.

Really enjoying this! Ironically it is actually pretty 'washy' but in a good way, with those big lush... pads, do you call them? Very nice.

luka

I've commissioned other life to make me an hour long movement. One integrated whole an hour long. You lot can do one too if you want.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
My first foray into the world of drone:

<iframe width="100%" height="166" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" allow="autoplay" src=""></iframe>

other_life

bioconfused
jam i did recently people here may be interested in
i guess if im being dared to do this hour long movement i want to do something self-consciously different than i've been doing lately, more through composed, exploring different facets of this sort of music rather than just zoning on one idea. using early grime + juke tracks as skeletons for synthesizer flessshhh

luka

Sounds good. Has to be a unit not small things cobbled together. Movements that work dialectically. A whole territory. Can't wait.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
OK, this has got to be the most acid thing I've ever made, or perhaps that anyone has ever made:

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Really enjoying this! Ironically it is actually pretty 'washy' but in a good way, with those big lush... pads, do you call them? Very nice.

Missed this until now. Cheers man! Haha yeah washy is definitely the word for pads. I'm a pad whore. Sometimes all I need is a pad, a bass line and some drums to get moving