Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Vinyl dying (for DJ's)

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post

They're just worshipping the sound of the universe singing itself thats coming from the speakers.

Ok i'll give you EZ, and you're quite right about the rest, I don't really have a problem with people facing forwards, I do it too of course. It was more the idea of a trend of 'performance' being born from DJs not needing to manually mix anymore. I've seen youtube videos of people playing APC's/MPD's angled forward so the crowd can see them. Frankly it was wank, kind of on a level with someone playing a Keytar solo in the eighties.
    Live sets in a club are fine as long as they function like a DJ set (Shackleton being a great example) I don't want to see people 'performing' (except for MCs)

Last weekend I was at some cheesy club and apparently I went totally mental when 'This is how we do it' by Montell Jordan came on, spilling beer over all and sundry and grinning like a buffoon. Show me love never fails to set me off as well.

Basically I've become the sort of philistine that I used to sneer at a few years ago when I used to go to serious techno nights. And I'm much happier for it I've managed to totally compartmentalise my music geek persona (at home in front of a laptop) and my cheesy fun-lovin' persona (when I go out drinking and dancing with mates).

This is starting to get seriously OT though

oh yeah dance 'performances' (shudder)... it's that old insecurity complex DJs/producers have about dance music not being 'real' music...

live instruments used to recreate previously PC-produced music is also a bad idea generally speaking.

My top moments last night were definitely the massive US house tunes (Deep Inside, etc) Loefah finished his set with one, I can't remember the name of it but it's one of those HUGE classics, made me grin like a loony. The production on those tunes is amazing, they're so perfectly put together, unfortunately it made all the Swamp81 stuff sound even more turgid and dull.
    After that I just wanted someone to play a House anthems set and blow the roof off didn't happen of course....

Quote Originally Posted by Benny B View Post
    Show me love never fails to set me off as well.

Basically I've become the sort of philistine that I used to sneer at a few years ago when I used to go to serious techno nights. And I'm much happier for it
    A

Quote Originally Posted by wise View Post
    After that I just wanted someone to play a House anthems set and blow the roof off didn't happen of course....
    Men

when i first got into electronic music i thought 4/4 was boring as fuck. now i listen to/make house more than anything.

I think the most damaging thing I've noticed from people trying to bring out a performance aspect in sets is that it means that they start focussing all their attention (in some cases not all) on making everything "live" and visually interesting, and not on making or searching out for good/interesting tunes. The ones that can achieve this generally seem to be the ones that probably make their tunes almost completely live anyway, otherwise it seems all the energy ends up going into the "live" sets and not releases.

thats refering to artists doing it specifically though messing about with their own tunes etc. When DJ's are just playing tunes with loads of MIDI gear it just seems a bit showy and like they are compensating for something, when people are too worried about looking like they are doing nothing so add on aload of interativity for sake of it. Generally just makes the sets boring without any flow.

I don't think it's so much to do with 4/4 as it is to do with incredibly well constructed and produced tunes where all the elements work together to uplift you and make you dance like a goon.

The older I get the more I enjoy big, full vocal tunes for some reason.

Anyway this is all getting quite off thread.

I don't really think vinyl dying out is that big a deal, it is inevitable, and much as I love the feel of controlling a proper record deck (whether with real vinyl or control vinyl) it's days are numbered.
    However there's a lot more to playing a good set than being able to hold a beatmix. Programming is vital, how and when you play certain tunes and and at what point you blend them etc are incredibly important to building up energy and making a set greater than the sum of it's parts.
    These things are independent of the carrier format of the music
    Last edited by wise; 24-04-2011 at 10:19 PM.

just to add then that yeah the actual 4/4 part is irrelevant but just what house music does in general which happens to be predominantly 4/4 based is really where its at for me too. which would have been hard for my 17yo dnb head mind to imagine. when i said 4/4 i really just meant house.

anyway back on topic

yeah, it's the feel of the vinyl for me over the sound quality. this is why control vinyls are great. but this is really only for the dj to get anything out of. if a dj plays better with vinyls because of the way it feels and responds then go for it.

it's a bit like the analog vs. virtual synth debate. personally, i think it boils down to the feeling of the instrument over the sound (especially when the parts actually get put into a mix). a synth that feels chunky and responds in the way analog does will most likely inspire you to play and explore it more, which may or may not bring out a better performance. imo this justifies having one (if any justification is needed). but if you can find yourself a nice virtual control surface and manage to make yourself some dope patches with a vsti then we're in no brainers-ville.

Yeah just to clear up i don't think me or anyone else consistently watches a DJ mix for their whole set. That would be weird lol. Corpsey summed up what i meant.

I play vinyl, just because I love buying and playing it really - don't put too much thought into it, but I wouldn't have it any other way!

Had a gig the other day where i was playing Afrobeat and Reggae mainly, so not much beat matching going on so i just danced around while the songs played (on a stage as it was after bands, but I got the engineer to take the lights low as possible) - this actually improved my set because instead of concentrating on mixing i was concentrating on how long I wanted to dance to the current song and this helped me better judge when to bring a new one.

It was by far the best set i've played out for me personally and crowd reaction - and I only beat matched about 5 songs!

Oh and I have no problem with taking my decks to a club if I can get a lift to the gig!

When it comes to being a punter I have just as much love for someone playing ace tunes not beatmatched from a variety of different genres and styles, to Dettman and Youngsta style genre purism and tight mixing (as well as anything in between) as long as it's done well!
    Last edited by PadaEtc; 24-04-2011 at 11:43 PM.

"I suppose its just easier carrying a laptop around than a bag of records isn't it (though I suppose more risky in case of loss/destruction)?"
    Do you reckon? I think I'd rather lose a laptop than a bag of tunes, it would certainly be easier to replace and probably cheaper as well.
    Anyway, I see nothing wrong with a dj getting into his tunes to the extent that it becomes a performance as long as it feels real rather than forced.

Haha no one here is actually trying to suggest DJ's shouldn't look like they are enjoying themselves when they perform are they? Sometimes this forum reaches near self-parody.

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    Do you reckon?
    Have you ever tried carrying a big record bag? They're really really heavy

"Have you ever tried carrying a big record bag? They're really really heavy"
    I agree with that bit, it's just the bit about carrying a laptop being riskier that I don't subscribe to.