Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Adam Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Good post, rdr.

Well yeah, I'm sure no-one here needs to be told that (Westerners') anti-imperialist/anti-colonialist politics can be just as West-centric as the imperialism they criticize.
    ill be upfront and say ive only watched a few of his films, but i find them most interesting as archive aesthetic assemblies and for his use of music, on the whole, though of course, there are many things he does say that i think are interesting, and agree with, but he takes so many cheap shots, often that arent followed through, or arent really investigated thoroughly beyond their immediate worth as provocative 'ooooh!' sensations, that make me worry a bit about all the people who put him on a pedestal.

the funniest part of the whole night (for me anyway, most people were howling each time gaddaffi appeared behind one of curtis' voiceovers) was when someone asked him about his use of music, and he, not without appearing a little pleased with himself, while at the same time trying to contain his enthusiasm, said 'i think burial is a genius!', sort of as if he was admitting some uncommon view that no one else has considered, and people (well, okay, not the whole audience, but a significant handful) started clapping in agreement.

I note that all these comments are endorsing my historic dismissal of Curtis dating back to the ludicrous 'Power of Nighmares' which I eviscerated on an bad-tempered thread back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by craner View Post
    I note that all these comments are endorsing my historic dismissal of Curtis dating back to the ludicrous 'Power of Nighmares' which I eviscerated on an bad-tempered thread back in the day.
    First Fry and now Curtis - any other middlebrow sacred cows you wanna go full "I HATED HIM FIRST!" on?

You're not keen on Will Self either, if memory serves.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

I do feel that Curtis' much sniggered at Hypernormalisation seems more relevant and less fanciful now post-Trump... his whole Surkov/Chaos shtick doesn't feel like quite the narrative liberty it was taken to be back in 2016. There, I said it.
    Last edited by you; 30-03-2017 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    First Fry and now Curtis - any other middlebrow sacred cows you wanna go full "I HATED HIM FIRST!" on?

You're not keen on Will Self either, if memory serves.
    Let's hope not - Will Self is a different class from those two, as much as his novels are bizarrely unreadable. Excellent speaker - clear and usually right, shows contempt towards the right people etc.
    Last edited by baboon2004; 30-03-2017 at 10:21 PM.

Ben Wheatley on Curtis:

Or Adam Curtis. Now that’s scary stuff. The only problem is when he veers into a subject I actually know something about and I think, ‘Hang on, woah woah woah, that’s not right…’

http://lwlies.com/interviews/ben-wheatley-free-fire/