Jackin' / Electroline

SecondLine

I remember checking out this thread and thinking it was the most godawful arsehole of a genre but a lot of the stuff on this post actually has something to it -

Reminds me so much of being fifteen/sixteen up north and just starting to go raving, and not in a good way. It's really weird to me that people are trying to push it as some "next step in the continuum" because it's basically just what scouse house/donk/bounce sounds like in 2012.

I know people on the internet love to jump on the concept of something being new and fresh but contextually this has nothing to do with the "continuum" just because Marcus is playing it a bit.

But whatever, who cares.

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

It's really weird to me that people are trying to push it as some "next step in the continuum" because it's basically just what scouse house/donk/bounce sounds like in 2012.

so its the newest phase in the northern branch of the continuum then. Don't see the conflict here. Most of the stuff I've heard is pretty poor it must be said.

Ah if people want to talk about it as that then yeah why not.

I always thought when people talked about a continuum it referred to London music because there's been an actual progression to it and dynamic influences etc

This bounce/donk thing has basically been the same for about ten years really, with very little change. I guess it's a testament to it's longevity that it still exists considering how marginalised it is but it's odd to see it framed in that article in some kind of internet context, knowing what the raves were and presumably still are like.

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

Is Marcus still playing this stuff regularly, or was that Jackin' show just a one off? I haven't listened to him in ages.

Benny Bunter

does this stuff really sound that much like Donk/Scouse though? No doubt the DJs are speeding these tracks up, but its generally a fair bit slower than usual isn't it? If anything
Zinc's 'Wile out' could (maybe?) be seen as a key track, that was big everywhere and had that electro bassline thing going on.

I quite like this one and the lyrics pretty neatly sum up the sound: "bassline with an electro twist".

PadaEtc

Emperor Penguin
That beat is big - being from yorkshire Tom Zanetti was almost omni-present on flyers and coming out of mobiles for the past 6 years, he's a bit of a joke.

datwun

I remember checking out this thread and thinking it was the most godawful arsehole of a genre but a lot of the stuff on this post actually has something to it

Author of the post. Big up, thanks for reading!

Is Marcus still playing this stuff regularly, or was that Jackin' show just a one off? I haven't listened to him in ages.

He was already running this stuff back when I saw him last summer at Secret Garden Party, and the last two times I saw him at the Butterz night in Cable and with DJ Q and the Unknown to the Unknown lot down in Peckham he was running pretty much 90% Jackin. DJ Pantha's on it too!

Fully agree that most of it's total shite, but seems like it has the possibility to do interesting things to electro house in the way UK Funky fucked/funked up international funky house.

And though it's definately a northern thing, it does feel like it feeds into the the broader tradition starting with 'ardcore. Check out the breaks/ragga chat in this one!

does this stuff really sound that much like Donk/Scouse though? No doubt the DJs are speeding these tracks up, but its generally a fair bit slower than usual isn't it?

You can hear the influence. I know what you're saying but it's the same old tired drum patterns, same synth ideas, terrible MCs.

This stuff is interchangable with the music I've been hearing in bars and walking away from up North for years and years.

datwun

I was at this, he cleared the dancefloor

The dancefloor was near empty anyway, and I remember barely clocking Marcus' set because it was way too fucking quiet, rather than anything else. It went off at Butterz. Check his soundcloud mix with good headphones or something, it's heavy.

EDIT: And anyway, the point was that this isn't just something he's dabbling in, but something he's pushing in a big way.

And though it's definately a northern thing, it does feel like it feeds into the the broader tradition starting with 'ardcore. Check out the breaks/ragga chat in this one!

Yeah but that's just the Dee Patten tune sampled in the breakdown isn't it.

PadaEtc

Emperor Penguin
?

it sounds nothing like Jersey club.

I missed out my whole prior thought process in that post, sorry haha. The last line of the SR piece got me thinking that it shares a similar relationship with Electro(House) as Jersey does to Bmore. It's striped down and a bit rawer, but the jersey stuff takes the template and makes it a bit odder; where as most of the jacking stuff I've listened to is pretty pedestrian - especially rhythmically.

Last edited: