Jackin' / Electroline

datwun

That Cause and Affect mix is sounding good from the tiny bit I checked out! Can't wait to run it properly!

Wasn't feeling that new C&A track though on first listen? Is it actually really good?
Love that Pete Graham track though, maybe my favorite of all his dark colabs with Lorenzo (Dorothy's Forest/Armpit and Chu Ba Ka) Those are all obviously halloween bangers!

Edit: ah THAT C&A track!! Kane posted a freebie a couple of days ago I really wasn't feeling. Obviously that Riddim Comission tracks absolutely huge. Gutted they've out it out, I had it exclusive for a while >__<

I'd also put Chris Greswell's Silent Hill in there, although really everything he does, the dirty bastard!

There was a REALLY good (or really bad? It was definitely really borderline) track out last year called Halloween Party by like a Polish producers called Bart Jack, but it's been taken off bigtunes. It was basically just really slow, dark donk. I loved it! I'll send it your way if you want?

PS It's funny that Leftwing & Kody's playing at 2:31 as he slagged off my jackin article on twitter lol
PPS fucking gutted I can't make that one, it looks sick! If you're within a three hour train ride to Brum you'd be mad to miss it! Especially as it does seem that jackin's slowing down a bit and there's no telling how it will all survive before just becoming standard fucking house like everything else.

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

volume three of my Lorenzo mixes

Click here to see it on Mixcloud

1. Super Shady - Tom Garnett & Chris Lorenzo
2. Sick Sunshine - Hannah Wants & Lorenzo
3. Who remembers cassettes - Pete Graham & Chris Lorenzo
4. Trouble - Tom Garnett & Chris Lorenzo
5. None A Them - Hannah Wants & Lorenzo
6. Angels - Pete Graham & Lorenzo
7. Hypnotizing - Rewbs & Lorenzo
8. Prove2U - Alex Parkin & Lorenzo
9. Battle (Cause & Affect remix) - Riddim Commission ft. Mr Hudson & Newham Generals
10. What I want - Hannah Wants & Lorenzo
11. The Twilight Zone - Pete Graham & Chris Lorenzo
12. Dirty Cash (2013 remix) - Ill Phil & Lorenzo
13. Changin' - Donkie Punch & Chris Lorenzo
14. Rhythm is gonna get you - Jonarr-Dotz & Lorenzo
15. Money can't bye it - Bdot & Lorenzo
16. I'm in chains - Brett Bdot Walters & Lorenzo
17. This & That - Drapes & Lorenzo
18. Kamikaze - Cause & Affect
19. Cut Me up (Cause & Affect remix) - Stanton Warriors
20. King of my castle - Pete Graham & Chris Lorenzo
21. Jump Around (2013 VIP) - Ill Phil & Lorenzo
22. Fake Double - Cause & Affect
23. Love for me - Cause & Affect
24. Lost - Donkie Punch & Chris Lorenzo - Lost

download

datwun

Big mix! Big up!

This is more just slow bassline than anything else but either way it's obviously completely massive!!

This is one of the best things going on bigtunes at the moment on a bouncy Hannah Wants sort of vibe:
Lol, think it's "engineered"/produced by Thomas Graham though, going by the tag.

A nice druggy warper:

Bouncy Nick-Hannam bass roller with twinkly indie vocals vibe

Man like Tom Garnett getting "deep"

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

cheers datwun. volume three and no discernible drop in quality of tuneage i reckon, not many producers that would warrant a similar series of mixes about now (would have said funkystepz a year or two ago maybe).

it does seem that jackin's slowing down a bit and there's no telling how it will all survive before just becoming standard fucking house like everything else.

'jackin' as a genre name that producers are willing to rally around has pretty much died off already though hasn't it? You rarely see it mentioned anywhere. Better to go with the flow iyam, I don't think the quality of output from the best producers has suffered from being subsumed into the wider house n bass/deep vibes that dominate now. It mixes so well with house n bass, garage, even grime anyway (though the vibe is still generally quite distinct from the shapecutting london electro house sound). Someone like Lorenzo is flexible enough to move on from the Jackin tag, and the 2:31 show on rinse has been fantastic and shows how well they fit into the greater house universe.

Unless you were just talking about the raves slowing down, in which case i have no idea. i'd imagine they're still poppin off though

datwun

cheers datwun. volume three and no discernible drop in quality of tuneage i reckon, not many producers that would warrant a similar series of mixes about now (would have said funkystepz a year or two ago maybe).

'jackin' as a genre name that producers are willing to rally around has pretty much died off already though hasn't it? You rarely see it mentioned anywhere. Better to go with the flow iyam, I don't think the quality of output from the best producers has suffered from being subsumed into the wider house n bass/deep vibes that dominate now. It mixes so well with house n bass, garage, even grime anyway (though the vibe is still generally quite distinct from the shapecutting london electro house sound). Someone like Lorenzo is flexible enough to move on from the Jackin tag, and the 2:31 show on rinse has been fantastic and shows how well they fit into the greater house universe.

Unless you were just talking about the raves slowing down, in which case i have no idea. i'd imagine they're still poppin off though

Yeah, Lorenzo`s just in a leauge of his own, he basically single handedly created a new genre, and he`s got an insane work rate with an insane amount of total anthems and bangers within that.

Thing is, I do reckon that the change from jackin to house & bass has bought with it a change in sound, a turn away from cheesiness and vybziness and towards something a more more 'sophisticated' or less differentiated from just straight forward house. On the one hand you're seeing less of the stupid pop vocals/refixes (though the rise of the harder MC driven stuff does compensate for this), less pianos, organs, rave noises, but the thing which really gets me is the change in the basslines away from the bouncy wobbly jackin bass to like, this very heavy, but quite monolythic, non-melodic subbass. Like with the best of the jackin basslines you could always hum them, but now in a lot of the mixes, on the 02:31 show, in Hannah Want's sets etc. a track will drop and it'll just be this block of subbass I find super meh. Same with HW's tracks actually, which apart from the Signs Roller mix (which is absolutely massive) I've really not been feeling any of her output since Dappy/None A Them.

The other thing is a drop in /quantity/. As the scene gets a bit more professional, producers are getting much more precious with there releases. It used to be like, you'd hear a track on soundcloud, and it'd be up on bigtunes within a couple of weeks. Now everything's getting signed and it can be 6 months between first hearing a track and being able to buy it. I reckon they're somewhat shooting themselves in the foot with that one though because it takes away a lot of the energy and buzz, makes the scene feel much slower etc.

I went to 02:31 a couple of times over the summer and it was still brilliant, great crowd, great vibez, great music (though that's because I love all the tracks, honestly the basic standard of DJing on the scene is pretty low).

All the producers deserve the increased attention they're getting, like it's great to see them doing well. But it would just be a shame if they got big by getting rid of everything that made the scene exciting in the first place. If not just because I want my constant stream of nasty silly big bassline bangerz lol

EDIT for what it's worth, the housey sound the jackin producers seem to be turning towards is much less the London shuffle/deep tech thing (which, though I find can get repetetive and definitely don't want to crowd out other, sillier sounds, I've come round to in a bit way, and would actually love to hear Loz etc. give it a go along side jackin), but more the London/Briston 'bass house' thing (My Nu Leng, Foamo, Lucent etc.) Which is that house which kind of uses all sorts of nuum signifyers (syncopated/garagey beats), big sub bass, a certain hardness/ruffness, but to me mostly has a serious vibe deficit, something weirdly unfun about it...

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

you don't like 'Kneadin'?! 'Girls'? The new disclosure/jessie ware remix!?

i dunno, i see what you're saying about the basslines becoming more subby in some of the deeper hw tracks, but I'm more pleased her, lorenzo and shorterz etc aren't going down the nasty mid-range route.

Benny Bunter

EDIT for what it's worth, the housey sound the jackin producers seem to be turning towards is much less the London shuffle/deep tech thing (which, though I find can get repetetive and definitely don't want to crowd out other, sillier sounds, I've come round to in a bit way, and would actually love to hear Loz etc. give it a go along side jackin), but more the London/Briston 'bass house' thing (My Nu Leng, Foamo, Lucent etc.) Which is that house which kind of uses all sorts of nuum signifyers (syncopated/garagey beats), big sub bass, a certain hardness/ruffness, but to me mostly has a serious vibe deficit, something weirdly unfun about it...

but what do you think of stuff like Woz, Taiki & Nulight, Friend within, Hybrid Theory, Lowsteppa, DJ Q's bass trax, Route 94, Shadow Child, DJ Haus, Preditah, Dirtybird, Ongaku, Flava D etc etc ? There's lots more to the house n bass thing than meh nu leng. Nuff vibes around right now imo.

datwun

but what do you think of stuff like Woz, Taiki & Nulight, Friend within, Hybrid Theory, Lowsteppa, DJ Q's bass trax, Route 94, Shadow Child, DJ Haus, Preditah, Dirtybird, Ongaku, Flava D etc etc ? There's lots more to the house n bass thing than meh nu leng. Nuff vibes around right now imo.

Out of all of them, most of the ones I like come from an actual scene with it's own flavour/energy - Lowsteppa and Hybrid Theory from Jackin (Shadow Child almost bang in the centre between jackin and normal tech house), DJ Q - bassline, Preditah, Flava D - Butterz/Grime/FWD garage. I Only like one Route 94 track, DJ Haus I'm not feeling (though I really liked Hot City), Ongaku I don't know.

Woz and Taiki and Nulight would be really good examples of that 'bass house' sound I'm talking about. Woz I rate highly, but he's just about the only person within that sound I do. Taiki and Nulight I'm VERY agnostic about/CBA with. They kind of sum up what I feel about most of those tracks, which is like I could almost like it, but there's just something not very interesting about it.

I suppose I just find that bassline element in Jackin really really appealing. Without all the warps and wobbles and top 40 vocals, you've basically got house with subbass.

Re: Kneading and Girls - just really not interested to be honest. Maybe I'd change my mind if I heard them in a rave on loads of drugs, but with the best of her tracks it's like I CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR THIS IN A RAVE ON LOADS OF DRUGS and with her newer stuff I'm like oh right.
This would be a good example of that:
The drop is just supremely whatever for me. Do like the emo vocals though, would like it more if that hammed that side up, more euphoric synths or something

This would be in my top ten for the year though:

Last edited: