Jackin' / Electroline

datwun

Hannah is playing in Kilburn soon. Love & Liquor. A revamped pub aiming for a very west end crowd.

The Internet said:
Styled on the cocktail lounges of Brooklyn, the focus here is classic cocktails with a tweak – the Smoked Old Fashioned, the Velvet Elvis and the Pomegranate Cosmopolitan – and original 1920’s favourites like the White Lady, the Manhattan and the Hemingway Daiquiri.

Featuring stripped back, warehouse-style décor (exposed brickwork and metal piping) and quirky features like a neon-wired eye and a raised n' caged VIP area overlooking the bar, this is Williamsburg. In Kilburn.

Love & Liquor's site said:
The last Friday of every month is ladies night at Love & Liquor. We have an all female DJ line up of Kayper (Coachella) and Hannah Wants (Rinse FM). Providing the visual entertainment is international dance troupe Girls Roc performing dangerous fire displays, axel grinding and other extremely crazy things. All ladies on the guest list are free till 11pm, £5 for the rest of the night.

LOL

I'm definitely going though, still

datwun

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any recommendations for any of that pre/proto/early Speed Garage/organ house that seems to be a bit of a touch stone for Jackin?

I see it a bit here: http://www.beatport.com/track/allnighter-original-mix/3387882
But I don't know much about that 94-7 time apart from the bait classics~

Edit: Might be doing another show on Inna City FM with Jambie (http://www.facebook.com/jackjambie) this saturday, might want to mix some Jackin into some early garage ;D

EDIT: Old skool #wobbler #warper http://www.beatport.com/track/the-heaven-track-original-mix/3387913

Last edited:

datwun

That's a good thread, just a lot of links have died :/
'spose I'll just start from the back~
But thanks alot! Was a laff doing it (despite the "iffy mixing", lol best comment we got) lots of new tunes to play out too~

Benny Bunter

sorry to spam but a lot of people seemed to like this speed garage mix i did a few years ago (also with a wee bit of 'iffy' mixing here and there i might add!)

http://www.mediafire.com/?yrmtr3maiim

I actually think the later era of 4x4 garage is a bit closer to Jackin, the darker sounding stuff at least...
God, how I miss my record collection...

datwun

Those are heavy Benny!!! You can definitely hear a continuum through the Dark 4x4 - Narrows - Bassline - Jackin.

"New" from Hannah Wants on Bigtunesmp3, lol, I sweardown she's the only one who's so coy with releases...

ALSO Would any of you guys who thinks they'll be locking in tomorrow (Innacity FM, 6-8!!!) be able to record the show? The station's recording programs fckuned.

datwun

datwun

Is there a recording of the Innacity show from yesterday?

Sorry man, we did not have the technology...

New banger from Tom Zanetti & Co.!!! I wish it was a few notches less misogynistic :/ But still, can't deny that it's fuuuuucccckkkeeeed.

ALSO once again this Saturday! InnacityFM from 6-8. Only this time, it's my debut as a fully fledged member of the innacity fam, the first of a regular slot every other Saturday at the same time (With Jambie on the other weeks)!!!

This week's show should be a bit special, As alongside Myself and Jambie, I'm bringing in Ivo "Squiggle" Del Santo (http://www.facebook.com/squiggle.delsanto), head of the Be Ready records collective (http://www.facebook.com/bereadycrew) and most excitingly, two MCs!!! Music policy is majority Jackin, with all the ravier edges of House getting a look in. Should be good, hope to see you all on the innacity chatroom!

jackjambie

Voodoo Priest
very happy to see this sample getting bounced around again on 1 seeEEerious bit of jackin bline (#nuum for the dubstep lot innit, or was it around b4 the matty d tune???)

&g=bb">&g=bb" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%%"> ">
big up manta

Last edited:

datwun

Some exciting stuff in Jackin this week:
&g=bb">&g=bb" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%%"> ">
This one's insane: &g=bb">&g=bb" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%%"> ">"JACKIN' DROPS AND HIP-HOP POPS"

Jackin + Trap = Trappin? = Something really good.

and then, most exciting of alllll:
Big up everyone who locked it, and love to hear some feedback from those who couldn't first time round~

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

checking the show now, sounding great. Cor, that Get Ur Freak on refix...

Re: Trappin', theres that really heavy trappy bit in Donkie Punch and Lorenzo' Snapbacks and Tattoos too isn't there.

wise

bare BARE BONES
the 50,000 watts sample was used on a D&B tune by Rayner in 1999, i've got a feeling it might be on some hardcore tunes as well...

jackjambie

Voodoo Priest
also this tune keeps jumping in and out of the top 5 or 10 on bigtunes at the moment...

it's probably my favourite thing to have come out of the whole jackin bass / house thing so far in terms of pure unadulterated excitement.

whilst i think it's those bass heavy bangers and subby deep house tracks that make the whole movement really new / relevant / hardcore / underground (and great), the fact that these sorts of full on vocal / piano euphoria tracks exist in the same template is completely banging and an absolute dream to mix. it's like the happy hardcore elements of bassline made even happier!!!

shits all over the now overly cliched any-old-random-rnb-sample-off-the-internet-chopped-up-so-its-kind-of-garage-sounding-uk-bass "cool" euphoria tracks template that london's been churning out for far too long now...hate hate hate hate hate...

slightly different also, but check out the sort of hard house meets grime strings vibe on this one!!!!!

rufff!!! personally, i much prefer it to stuff like 'apple' and the early funky tracks that everyone went cray for. and i both bought and ran those at the time, so jus sayin as an initial reaction...

Last edited:

jackjambie

Voodoo Priest
the 50,000 watts sample was used on a D&B tune by Rayner in 1999, i've got a feeling it might be on some hardcore tunes as well...

safe bare bones, thought that might be the case! :)

the dubstep one was massive on dubplate for a bit i remember, probs loefah's version...definitely remember getting pissed and shouting it out a lot around london bridge A LOT before a yardcore back when they happened under the arches haha...bit off topic maybe there lol...

datwun

Benny B:
Thanks for locking!
You know I hadn't actually listened to Snapbacks all the way until that point, but that's heavy! Weird that it should work so well when the rhythmic structures of Jackin - straight up 4x4 - and Trap - polyrhythmic snaps and pops all over the place, are so different...

It's interesting cause both Trap and Jackin are very FWD/modern/2k12 scenes, yet the logic of the internet mashes them together even before they've run out of steam and need to get energy from outside musical sources. Is it postmodern when you mash two modernisms together or is it something else?

Also: Would it now be fair to say that one of the dividing lines between the northern/midlands and southern nuums is that northern branch works by innovating the bass line (Bassline wobble, then the DJ Pantha 'Candy Shop' screechy UKB noise, Jackin's hollow-warp-owl-bass) and the south works by innovating the rhythm section (2-step, skittery elcetro grime snares, Half-step, UK Funky BMM KKA KKA BBBMM KKA BMM KKA snares, the 'UK Bass' interest in footwork)

Jambie:
Fuck the overly cliched any-old-random-rnb-sample-off-the-internet-chopped-up-so-its-kind-of-garage-sounding-uk-bass "cool" euphoria tracks template. Jackin's great cause it's dark and stupid and fucked and cheeky and samples loads of old house divas and 90s hip hop vocals and goes BOOM TSK KKA TSK while the bass goes WOB WOB WOB

Last edited:

jackjambie

Voodoo Priest
also, to tie this up with some of the things mentioned in the 'twee' and 'middle class' threads elsewhere on here (childishness and retro in modern music as a sort of rejection on 'lad' culture here in the UK) - jackin bass DEFINITELY has an overtly 'laddish' element to it that other UK scenes do not.

that is 'lad' as in a contemporary youth / young adult lifestyle involving going to the gym, smashing it up at the weekend with the lads, shagging around and all of that alpha male type stuff that you see in jeordie shore etc. it's not just that the music / scene is lairy, it's definitely that modern sort of muscles meets binge britain laddish gym-y type lairy-ness.

i think that house is like the 'lads' dance music of choice cos it's quite mainstream and not very wanky / hipster-y (my youngest brother and his mates go to the gym a lot and rave and listen to nothing but house and techno 24/7...) and with jackin bass it's mixed up with a healthy dose of nuum style lairyness / weirdness that's right on the button, as seen on swag blog....wife beaters, songs about sharing / doing drugs, "not just the beer (drugs you mean)" etc...

those aren't the best examples but TZ definitely strikes me as a proper 'lad' if maybe a slightly a-typical one - posing topless with tigers, doing boat parties dressed as a captain etc.

534382_10152128190970006_320910206_n.jpg

just a thought innit. i could see jackin catching on in croydon for example...if it hasn't already...haven't been out there for ages...