Jackin' / Electroline

Benny Bunter

wudnt even call this a refix just a sample

goes off though, more like this

Yeah thats wicked, love how it turns all acidy halfway through.

I think Tom Shorterz is on a much more classier vibe than most stuff that gets tagged as jackin' (which doesn't mean he's any better of course). I'm sure his stuff gets played at cheesier northern nights like Insomnia/Swagger etc, but I doubt thats really the audience he's aiming for. I seen an interview with him where he said he was getting into making classic detroit-inspired stuff, and was talking about buying vintage analogue gear etc.

edit: here it is
http://www.urban-nerds.com/2012/01/24/interview-with-tom-shorterz/

Last edited:

BareBones

wheezy
really like that 'morning alkaline' tune by tom shorterz with the weeknd sample. plus i like how he's called it alkaline instead of acid

continuum

smugpolice
Tom Shorterz is a good DJ going by that Rinse mix in the Urban Nerds interview. Remember catching the end of it when aired a while back. Possibly the first time Jackin' was played on Rinse?

Damien

sorry this is in no way related to Jackin but all this talk of bait refixes reminds me of one my most played records

years later I am still addicted to this

MellaDee

sorry this is in no way related to Jackin but all this talk of bait refixes reminds me of one my most played records

years later I am still addicted to this

It might not directly be Jackin' but there it is relevant i think.

The bassline influence on a lot of stuff is pretty big when you listen.

Plus 1 of the Dub Melitia also plays a big part in a lot of Jackin' engineering & production from what i've heard so must have an effect.

Although this isnt Jackin' some of you may like this, new one from us.

&g=bb">&g=bb" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%%"> ">

Benny Bunter

That one's a killa! Cause & Affect seem to be some of the best guys.

What was the name of that crazy track you played near the start of your show? Can't really describe it except it didn't have a typical 4x4 jackin sound, but I think you said it was by either C&A or Lorenzo. Not sure though.

Also, the Nastee boi tune?

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
I'm still not very keen on this stuff, and I kind of resent the way it's as if we're all now 'supposed' to like it just because Marcus or other people who've previously been involved in good music are into it.
I also feel like I'm becoming the kind of cynical moaner that I used to complain about. Harruph. :p

datwun

It's not a "supposed to like" thing, it's an 'incredibly likable" thing...

Edit: played the marcus mix out on my boombox last month when it was last sunny and all my friends who don't know much about dance music REALLY liked it. Which I reckon's a good a sign as any of vybez/fun.

Benny Bunter

It's not a "supposed to like" thing, it's an 'incredibly likable" thing...

Edit: played the marcus mix out on my boombox last month when it was last sunny and all my friends who don't know much about dance music REALLY liked it. Which I reckon's a good a sign as any of vybez/fun.

well yeah, your friends don't carry around the same heavy preconceptions or have the same lofty demands about dance music that people round here do. It frees them up to just enjoy the music for what it is, in the spirit of what it is made for, on its own terms.

This is gonna be one of them threads where a handful of people who are into it and 'get' what makes the genre distinct are constantly having to defend and justify it. Just like the bassline and to some extent the UK Funky threads (really, check out the first few pages of that thread to see how easily and snootily people can dismiss stuff - me included!).

I didn't like Jackin much when i first heard it tbh, but that MN/Shantie set really clicked with me and now I'm loving a lot of this stuff. I certainly didn't get into it because I was 'supposed to' - I resent that charge Andy! I'd been criticising Marcus' show for a while and that Jackin set happened to really engage my interest in him again, to my surprise. In fact, I didn't really want to like it, but i just couldn't help it.

Last edited: