Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 43

Thread: Retromania

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    192

    Default Retromania

    So..

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    781

    Default

    What?



    Waiting for my copy.

    Yours
    A Dedicated Retronaut

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    610

    Default

    Did anyone see that article in the Grauniad yesterday? Hilariously irrelevant pictures and captions! Charlie's Angels????

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    781

    Default

    Another one featured Sun Ra...most people aren't forward-thinking enough to appreciate him!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sevilla
    Posts
    3,626

    Default

    good article though. Really looking forward to this book. Seems like it needed writing.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    5,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by connect_icut View Post
    Did anyone see that article in the Grauniad yesterday? Hilariously irrelevant pictures and captions! Charlie's Angels????
    Didn't see the piece, but Charlie's Angels is perfectly relevant to the book.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    895

    Default

    I'll be interested in to what conclusions he comes to about its cause. The accessibility to the past from the internet is an obvious one but I think theres probably more to it than that. I think for example the popularity of using old equipment has lead to people making more retroistic music even if they hadn't originally intended to, or for it to at least sound retro just by the sonic signifiers. But also theres all of the soul diva stuff, whinehouse, duffy etc which again may be less to do with more access as it is to do with just having a larger overall recorded music history for producers to pick from and market. I'm sure there are some wider social reasons but I couldnt even begin to think how you would join the dots to relate it to this really. Looking forward to reading this.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    895

    Default

    Is Retromania any different from the idea of Hauntology though?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    5,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by muser View Post
    Is Retromania any different from the idea of Hauntology though?
    I thought hauntology was a microgenre steeped in old reference points, or have I misunderstood?

    Retromania is obviously a history of music's (and other art) increasing tendency to look backwards and frame itself with old reference points.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North East London
    Posts
    6,124

    Default

    Reynolds blanked me IN MY LOCAL on Sunday. Harsh par.

    Having said that I am probably still going to buy the book*.

    *When it's remaindered in 2018.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    781

    Default

    Ha! Wanker.
    Started it.
    'S alright, you know.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by muser View Post
    I'll be interested in to what conclusions he comes to about its cause. The accessibility to the past from the internet is an obvious one but I think theres probably more to it than that. I think for example the popularity of using old equipment has lead to people making more retroistic music even if they hadn't originally intended to, or for it to at least sound retro just by the sonic signifiers. But also theres all of the soul diva stuff, whinehouse, duffy etc which again may be less to do with more access as it is to do with just having a larger overall recorded music history for producers to pick from and market. I'm sure there are some wider social reasons but I couldnt even begin to think how you would join the dots to relate it to this really. Looking forward to reading this.
    Things were better back then. Old sounds remind us of when life was more fun and carefree. Also kind of feel like Quentin Tranatino has a lot to answer for with Pulp Fiction. Seemed like a big trigger for today's retromania.

    edit: shouldn't post when drunk. scratch the tarantino bit.
    Last edited by pattycakes; 11-06-2011 at 06:34 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    9,243

    Default

    I thought hauntology was more to do with imagined, alternative, might have been pasts and the futures (or possibly present) which didn't grow from that but could have done. Ghost pasts and presents basically.
    Although that's not quite what it says here

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hauntology

    Maybe what I'm describing has more to do with retrofuturism and parallel worlds. But I imagine hauntology as a kind of retrofuturist other world that somehow overlaps and bleeds into ours like a ghost.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    East Loondon
    Posts
    2,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    Reynolds blanked me IN MY LOCAL on Sunday. Harsh par.

    Having said that I am probably still going to buy the book*.

    *When it's remaindered in 2018.
    I was possessed by the urge to shoplift a copy of Wire today in Smiths so I could read this. I failed though, because I am old.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    5,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    I thought hauntology was more to do with imagined, alternative, might have been pasts and the futures (or possibly present) which didn't grow from that but could have done. Ghost pasts and presents basically.
    Although that's not quite what it says here

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hauntology

    Maybe what I'm describing has more to do with retrofuturism and parallel worlds. But I imagine hauntology as a kind of retrofuturist other world that somehow overlaps and bleeds into ours like a ghost.
    Oh. You'll gather I skipped that chapter

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •