Retromania

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
I read this a while back. Really enjoyed it. Been reflecting on it a bit now that everyone is abuzz about the R&R Hall of Fame hullaballoo. Respect to Axl Rose for calling them out for being the anti-thesis of the spirit of rock and roll. Nice that he identified Hanoi Rocks as his influence. Listening to HR is like a decoder ring for GNR records. I can't listen to them without hearing a teenaged Axl's voice singing along in my head.

blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes
I see Andy McCoy and Mike Monroe on the street all the time here in Finland. Once McCoy unwittingly dropped his scarf and I picked it up and caught up with him to return it. Another time he purposefully strummed an acoustic guitar into my face in the beer garden of his local restaurant.

version

A Satin Island of the Mind - https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/satin-island-mind

What’s operating against McCarthy’s avant-gardism, however, is a lack of political-historical significance. This political-historical context, or lack of it, rather, is key, I think, for a deeper understanding of Satin Island. Reading McCarthy’s new novel, I was reminded of something another fellow Brit, the film documentarian Adam Curtis, said in a 2012 e-flux interview about “our age”, that “we’re in the years of stagnation” artistically, culturally, economically speaking. Our “music, TV, and avant-garde art — is being used to shore up the present, reconfigure the past to somehow give a foundation to the present that can’t imagine another kind of future.” Curtis, who has convincingly traced the ways in which power has manifested itself in the 20th and 21st centuries, suggests our artists now are like archeologists mining the recent past, unable to look to the future.

linebaugh

Drake is interesting in that hes probably the most popular artist for people who might call themselves music 'fans' (versus people who just listen to whatever's on) and I imagine like marvel fandom he's rewired the brains of his listners to the point where they cant understand what it would feel like to enjoy anything else. Hes flooded the zone via streaming for a decade at this point for people my age and if youre not keen on looking for new music but still have something of a preference theres always new drake instantly accesible

linebaugh

I look at my parents and theyve also lost the ability to find new music/art interesting but thats understandable as theyre around 60 years old. theres a use it or lose effect with finding new things that streaming has possibly accelerated.

linebaugh

when american sports league do personality profiles on their players and have them list their 'songs in rotation' its unilaterally a majority drake songs. also experienced this at my buddys bachelor party (a camping trip, not a wild night out) when the only thing they listened to outside of festival EDM was drake. Kendrick lamar was also talked about but in hushed tones but no one dared play him for some reason.

version

I look at my parents and theyve also lost the ability to find new music/art interesting but thats understandable as theyre around 60 years old. theres a use it or lose effect with finding new things that streaming has possibly accelerated.

Do you mean new as in contemporary or new as in anything they haven't heard before?

linebaugh

Do you mean new as in contemporary or new as in anything they haven't heard before?
If its not already something they are familiar with stylistically they have no capacity to enjoy it, so both. I imagine this is pretty common with older people.

Leo

If its not already something they are familiar with stylistically they have no capacity to enjoy it, so both. I imagine this is pretty common with older people.

Second insult of the month. First I'm the archetypal normie, now this.

mvuent

Void Dweller
Musset in his Confession d’un enfant du siècle deplores the apartments just after 1830, "where one found, assembled and confused, the furniture of every age and every country. Our age has no form. We haven't given the imprint of our age to our houses or to our gardens or to anything . . . The apartments of the rich are cabinets of curios: the ancient, the Gothic, the taste of the Renaissance, of Louis XIII, all jumbled together. In short, we have something from every century except our own: a condition unknown in any other age. Eclecticism is our taste; we take what we find, this for its beauty, that for its convenience, and that for its antiquity, and another thing even for its ugliness; thus we live amid flotsam, as if the end of the world were near."

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Musset in his Confession d’un enfant du siècle deplores the apartments just after 1830, "where one found, assembled and confused, the furniture of every age and every country. Our age has no form. We haven't given the imprint of our age to our houses or to our gardens or to anything . . . The apartments of the rich are cabinets of curios: the ancient, the Gothic, the taste of the Renaissance, of Louis XIII, all jumbled together. In short, we have something from every century except our own: a condition unknown in any other age. Eclecticism is our taste; we take what we find, this for its beauty, that for its convenience, and that for its antiquity, and another thing even for its ugliness; thus we live amid flotsam, as if the end of the world were near."
You see the film adaptation of this? With Sam Riley and Charlotte Gainsbourg?