michael gove

you

My mum is involved with the union, we had a good chuckle at the letter he sent round to all head's, it was laden with bad and inconsistent grammar.

I may have another gander at Capitalist Realism and come back but I despise the thought of schools as factories churning out products for tomorrow - I feel this is the main sentiment behind a lot of the market stalinism that is in education - or from what I've heard anyhow...

"We now have great headteachers who will become educational entrepreneurs. They will build a brand and create chains."

......and leave a generation branded as products chained to a specific identity....

jenks

thread death
I cannot talk rationally about the man - he's pushing through the academy concept come what may which is going to destroy pay and conditions and ultimately lead to a form of privatisation of all state schools.

And that bastard Danny Alexander - yep see how most people would feel being told they will work longer, have no pay rise for three years and have more money taken out at source and quite possibly face redundancies. Strike? You're lucky no-one's burnt your house down you fucktard.

What a shower.

don_quixote

Trent End
and the age that i can draw my pension is now higher than the life expectancy of a male teacher. fuck you. yet i should be grateful i've received this offer.

crackerjack

This might not work for you, but whenever I see the supercilious goldfish-faced cunt I remind myself that 20 years ago my brother went out with Gove's wife. I find this helps.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
goldfish-faced cunt said:
there [have] been previous attempts to make science relevant, by linking it to contemporary concerns such as climate change or food scares.

Quel horreur! Heaven forfend that science be "relevant!" And describing climate change as a "contemporary issue" makes it sound like something that's all the rage now (among those trendy lefties, at least), but which everyone will have forgotten about in ten years. Which I find a little over-optimistic.

And that line about his daughter not understanding how history is taught - is he implying his daughter attends a state school? Funnily enough I'm not entirely convinced of that. Who said history has to be taught sequentially, anyway? An in-depth knowledge of ancient Egypt is not a prerequisite for understanding the causes of WWII.

I broadly agree with him that the standards of difficulty of the exams need to be looked at if ever-higher numbers of students are getting top grades without universities and employers finding that each year's intake is better educated than the last, but then nearly everyone says this. I don't see how opening state schools up to effective part-privatisation is going to help here.

And if this is an accurate quote:

"What [students] need is a rooting in the basic scientific principles, Newton's laws of thermodynamics and Boyle's law."

he should be suspended from his post until he has satisfactorily completed GCSE Physics. Or perhaps just summarily executed.

Last edited:

don_quixote

Trent End
i think the guardian comments summed that daughter quote up: "policy by parental anecdote"

the main problem with exam inflation is exams. i'm a teacher. i'm assessed by my students exam performance. they're students. they're assessed by their exam performance. therefore the only thing we are concerned about is their exam performance and not much else.

don_quixote

Trent End
i'm NUT so yes. voted for it too. worried about how things will go in the autumn. also we have no NUT rep in our school... how about you?

jenks

thread death
Looks like I might be the next rep as ours has just resigned in disgust at the lack of support for the strike in the school.

don_quixote

Trent End
maybe i should become nut rep but i've no idea what i'm doing and was put off it by my placement school where the nasuwt rep said never become a union rep. being a union rep himself.

don_quixote

Trent End
now he's written a letter to headteachers asking them to strikebust.

for fucks sake, this government is asking for a war with teachers.

jenks

thread death
We are also in the middle of academy application as well. I feel like like we are living in endtimes here. Erosion of pay, conditions, local authority support, collective bargaining, pensions, job security and on and on.

Morale is low and then stupid bastards say they won't strike cos their kids'll miss lessons - for one day, at the end of June - how shit/arrogant must you be?

ATL proving to be far more united than the NUT here and that is a sad state of affairs

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
We are also in the middle of academy application as well. I feel like like we are living in endtimes here. Erosion of pay, conditions, local authority support, collective bargaining, pensions, job security and on and on.

Morale is low and then stupid bastards say they won't strike cos their kids'll miss lessons - for one day, at the end of June - how shit/arrogant must you be?

Those people deserve to be shafted, and no-one will have any sympathy for them when they are, simple as. Appreciate this doesn't make the conditions any easier for you at school :(

jenks

thread death
Staffroom is a dark place with those of us striking making it very clear just how short sighted/plain daft the non strikers are being. Our school is planning on staying open - NAS/UWT has made it clear to its members that they shouldn't cover classes but I bet soem of them do.

I don't get the point of being part of a union that you know agrees with striking when you don't agree with it. Join a non-striking union. There's enough out there, unfortunately.

I shall enjoy my day away next Thursday - wife is on strike as well and one of our kid's schools is also closed. Feel sorry for the other son who has to go in!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I was thinking of becoming a teacher a few years ago when I finished studying - sad to say, I'm glad I didn't now. I hope you guys manage to talk as many wavering colleagues as possible into joining the strike and get lots of press coverage.

Edit: nice one, DQ.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Our principal is NUT.

and he called Gove 'a wanker' the other day.

I'm Unionless, but won't be crossing picket lines