alex

Do not read this.
i @'d so much abuse at boris johnson's twitter on my old account he started to follow me. It was probably run by one of his advisors or something though, so not that exciting.

Is it wrong to lament the idea of London's youth pushing it's clubs?

Touched on it in the post future garage thread but seriously, the shift to rap has changed everything really- we can try and pretend that future uk bass is somehow the sound of London but it isn't really is it.

Not proper London anyway.

I guess it's different for people who used to be into dubstep but for the most part I always hated it and was thankful when funky came along because grime had ran into it's mixtape cul-de-sac (sic) but that trailed away.

I like the idea of a grime resurgence but bar Butterz & Spooky on Deja it's not really going to happen.

I dunno, I think it's a shame what London represents now.

Benny Bunter

Is it wrong to lament the idea of London's youth pushing it's clubs?

Touched on it in the post future garage thread but seriously, the shift to rap has changed everything really- we can try and pretend that future uk bass is somehow the sound of London but it isn't really is it.

Not proper London anyway.

I guess it's different for people who used to be into dubstep but for the most part I always hated it and was thankful when funky came along because grime had ran into it's mixtape cul-de-sac (sic) but that trailed away.

I like the idea of a grime resurgence but bar Butterz & Spooky on Deja it's not really going to happen.

Slackk, do you reckon the rap scene could ever work on the pirates? Are there any pirates playing this stuff at the moment? Genuine questions...I think it would be a really interesting development if it did happen.

Just pure speculation, but maybe a station like Rinse wouldn't touch road rap with a bargepole because of the negative associations it has. But it might be cool if the scene had some DJs and a station to coalesce around. It might help to galvanise and develop the sound in more interesting ways too, cos lets face it, while theres a lot of pretty decent rap stuff around, it still sounds like it has a long way to go.

Maybe the pirates just aren't as important and interesting as they used to be and have little to with the rap scene as it is, but I reckon a show that plays homegrown underground rap could be great.

Elijah

Butterz
Slackk, do you reckon the rap scene could ever work on the pirates? Are there any pirates playing this stuff at the moment? Genuine questions...I think it would be a really interesting development if it did happen.

Just pure speculation, but maybe a station like Rinse wouldn't touch road rap with a bargepole because of the negative associations it has. But it might be cool if the scene had some DJs and a station to coalesce around. It might help to galvanise and develop the sound in more interesting ways too, cos lets face it, while theres a lot of pretty decent rap stuff around, it still sounds like it has a long way to go.

Maybe the pirates just aren't as important and interesting as they used to be and have little to with the rap scene as it is, but I reckon a show that plays homegrown underground rap could be great.

When I get to check the FM these days, there is a lot of house. Top to bottom. There are guys that are playing UK Hip Hop in there shows, but usually it will be alongside US, perhaps a bit of Grime and whatever vocal funky there is. I don't know of any DJs really pushing the UK Rap thing exclusively.

Hopefully I will be corrected quickly, then I can just check out the shows too.

Just reading over a few threads for the first time in ages here. Def slowed down on chatting about releases / radio. Is it because people aren't feeling much out there or people just prefer to talk about ideas here.

gremino

Moster Sirphine
we can try and pretend that future uk bass is somehow the sound of London but it isn't really is it.
i think most ppl see it as international - 'UK' is put front of 'bass' because the music is mostly mishmash of UK styles.

who knows if new wave grime instrumentals will separate to it's own genre, and mutate into something new? new producers are getting ridiculously overlooked, so is new djs it seems. i see those people potential to create their own thing.

also, grime's never going to be at the same levels as in early '00s, but it can be still very good - atleast so much better than future garage/post-dubstep/bass!

maybe London dance music's heydays are over, and some other city gets the ball. nothing's forever...

actually im having second thoughts about the rent issue. make rents too low and you just get berlin, the least exciting city in the world, populated entirely by grpahic designers.

hahaha

unrelated but i saw a come dine with me t'other day and this graphic designer hosted one of the blandest nights i've ever seen man. he completely believed that his job was the most exciting ever - he even got a facepainter in to paint pantone swatches on guests' faces as entertainment.

london has a lot of life in it yet.

gremino

Moster Sirphine
more on this new grime?

djs:
spooky is essential. dejavu, mondays 6-8pm
selecta fewie, nasty fm
meshak nasty, dejavu
moony, nasty fm

producers:
spooky
darq e freaker
preditah
moony
neonbeats
stevo

score5 released recently 'plainface sampler vol.1' vinyl only release with new producers. big ups for him to do that!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0slkRAIfFME" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rubberdingyrapids

noooo future

was reading the piece on blackdown's blog about disclosure and the need for today's producers to make music that sounds like 2013. i feel the same, but then im of a certain age, and pretty much anyone who thinks things should still be 'moving forward' also seems to be. im wondering if its time to retire the expectation of things 'moving fwd'. younger producers and listeners dont seem to care.... this idea, this concept or expectation of forward momentum in dance music is just *not important* anymore. which makes idea of it representing its time or pointing to the future redundant - if there were more younger artists making a deal about this, then maybe there might be something to get behind, but otherwise, it seems like its time to stop expecting fwd momentum, unless you want to end up a rave dad.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I dunno if this ''fwd'' ideal is the creation of musical artists/audiences or journalists, though. I mean obviously there WAS a forward momentum in dance music throughout the 90s (or a sprouting outwards - 'pushing things forward' suggests getting closer to some ideal form rather than just twisting and combining whats already happened), and I suppose jungle producers, for example, were intent on experimentation... But these things tend to evolve organically due to other factors i.e. garage coming about due to british DJs speeding up US garage dubs... drugs... technology. How often does something exciting happen due to people actively and consciously pursuing some sort of progressive ideal? The impression I got (or polemic I encountered) from 'Energy Flash' was that that actually results in noodly, overly tasteful stuff.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Still lots of great stuff happening down the bpms around Alex Nut etc though it's a different London in some sense.

BokBok is still a very exciting DJ, credit to him for maintaining it still.

BenUFO fabric mix craved out something of his own I thought.

London could die but Spooky..

rubberdingyrapids

yeah im not sure it was really there in the artists' minds, at least not that consciously. it was prob no different to every other new genre in its first 15-20 years, where it is only natural that things move forward at a much faster pace, before there is time to sit back and take stock of it all. but whether there was a knowing desire to make something advancing the music or not, the music was doing that anyway. as far as more consciously 'fwd' music, you could look at the keysound this is how we roll comp as that, but while i do like a good half of whats on there, its ultimately just another re-something (configuration, formulation, etc, etc), rather than something new in its own right.

i think there are still great things happening, like that ben ufo fabric mix, night slugs, etc. whether theyre all that 'new' im not sure. which is sort of my point - i still have a need to know, or to feel that i am hearing newness, whereas most of these producers, and moreover, the younger audience, doesnt seem to. forget the idea of being self consciously forward looking, they dont seem that bothered. perhaps partly due to their age, but then if disclosure are talking about wanting to make tunes that could have slid into an old garage set, then that doesnt really work as a defence either.

its actually good in a way, im sure old garage producers get a kick out of seeing their music being overhauled and made successful again, must be different to before when they would end up being pushed to the side or just playing back to 95 raves, so in a sense of the music coming of age, i think its quite nice actually, and novel. all this appreciation for the old-schoolers. i dont think that was there before.

Last edited:

woops

is not like other people
The Night Comes Back To Life

Looking like engine parts from an alien spacecraft, the looming speakers thundered with enough bass to make one’s esophagus flutter. Red LCDs pulsed above. On the dance floor, a sea of guys in dress shirts nodded under the rhythmic necromancy of DVS1, a D.J. from Minneapolis.