Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: if New York can die so can London

yeah i dont buy that london's dead, i'm having a great time, but luka's thread is based on a supposition: "what if..."
    Keysound, Rinse, blog etc

can we not worry about where i have and havent been. i think this is th first time i have slagged off berlin on dissensus. i have slagged off barcelona here which is maybe where the confusion stems from. for the record i have not been to berlin cos i dont like it so why would i go? i havent been to new york either. i can count the places i have been too on th fingers of one hand almost. this dosnt stop me from dismissing vast tracts of the map.

OK then, so yes, London can die. Anywhere can. The entire human race will snuff it one way or another, if we're looking to cover all bases.
    Keysound, Rinse, blog etc

dubsteps dead like rotting, pungent stench dead. Counter examples will be wasted on me im afraid. grime isnt exactly vibrantly alive is it. idk know what uk bass is.
    im not saying this is bad its about time these things keeled over, for something new.
    but Luka's point was really good.
    maybe NY also died because it thought it couldnt.

blackdown i get that you dont agree cos you are a positive sunshiney guy. i get that. i envy your positivity. also for the record i would love to go to ny cos i am still partially in thrall to its myth.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    for the record i have not been to berlin cos i dont like it so why would i go?
    why are you so certain you don't like it?

i know its the internet and its difficult sometimes but can we also learn to distinguish btwen times when i am in charactr and striking deliberately ridiculous exaggerated poses for rhetorical effect (99% of the time) and when i am being earnest.

well, a couple things. first, what luka + you all are talking about strikes me as just another way to say gentrification.

second, skewering hipsters...9 times of out 10 it feels like an act of self defense, a way to to impart credibility and distance oneself from. honestly the older I get the sillier it seems, given that most people outside this spectrum of subcultures would be very hard-pressed to differentiate between hipsters and the people who profess to hate them...like trying to explain the difference between grindcore + death metal (or house + techno, to put it in more dissensus-friendly terms) to someone who's never heard either...I mean whatever, but either way "hipsters" (and the even hipper more self-aware people who talk shit about them) are very much are not the root cause of gentrification. they're just a symptom.

I always ask myself, where are all the Londoners going? Or where are they?

Being from London seems to be a rare thing these days

(you know being born and lived in London all your life.)

i agree with pretty much all of that padraig actually. i always cringe when i read articls skewering hipsters in a really hamfistd way and i regret mentioning them in my original post a little bit. although having said that it was quite a shock going back to london and seeing how pervasive they had become, particualrly as i weaved through the fixies on brick lane. swears always had a nice line in defending hipsters and i found it persuasive, up to a point. but yes gentrification is a major issue, not the only one, but you can put a lot of subissues under that umbrealla.... i agree with that....

how dyou mean?

be interesting to see if the recent waves of say, brazilian/somali/whoever migrants in london has an impact on the music.
    Last edited by gumdrops; 27-06-2011 at 01:50 PM.

also i was a bit influenced by reading el-ps twitter. he was moaning about the absence of native new yorkers. so i guess it is an issue there as weell as london ray. he was quite funny actually. gumdrops i think you are being dlibereately mischeivious. he is obv moaning about middle england invading the inner city and trying to act like they know whats going on. im all for snobbery of that kind. it makes me laugh.
    Last edited by luka; 27-06-2011 at 01:50 PM.

i think londoners are always desperate to leave arent they? if they can facilitate it that is. must be the same with new yorkers.

Quote Originally Posted by daddek View Post
    its happening across all hardcoreish music, people like danny brown lil b, OF, would have been unimaginable in hip hop 10 years ago, apparently there's loads of hipster black metal too.
    and no offense bro but I absolutely can't stand enormous blanket statements about the state of music (or anything really) like this...I mean FFS there's just as much true kvlt/primal/raw etc black metal there as ever, more than ever really. my finger's not as much on the pulse of current rap but I'm sure there's as just as much hardcore stuff there as well, even it's not burning up the charts or whatever. this always happens, in all forms of extreme/hardcore/underground etc music. people complained about the Minutemen + whoever making hardcore too artsy, they complained about the Locust ruining grindcore + power violence + whatever...fucking doom metal + stoner etc was super hip in the first part of the last decade, I remember going to see Rwake or Warhorse or somebody ca. 2003 and the place being wall to wall white belts + Spock haircuts (remember those?) - not the to mention the impossibly cool artiness of Sunn O))) etc - yet some how deeply deeply unhip grizzled men with gnarly beards have managed to keep making thoroughly uncool but totally awesome doom metal records...

the moral being, the underground survives. I guarantee you right now there are just as many filthy noise merchants, acid techno free party guys, mobb deep wannabees, shitty d-beat bands on so on out there on the fringes of culture, posting their demos on bandcamp or doing super kvlt releases with editions of 20 or whatever, as ever...