Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: if New York can die so can London

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    i know its the internet and its difficult sometimes but can we also learn to distinguish btwen times when i am in charactr and striking deliberately ridiculous exaggerated poses for rhetorical effect (99% of the time) and when i am being earnest.

The hipster rappers thing is quite interesting, is it something to do with an increasing number of black americans belonging to the middle class/suburban world? Odd Future, for example, seem to be a very suburban group of kids.

I suppose the internet must also have had a big influence in terms of spreading cultures that would previously have been more locally situated.

Quite amusing to think of East London hipster culture being taken up by people in exotic countries - a sort of reverse Diplo effect?

Quote Originally Posted by padraig (u.s.) View Post
    and no offense bro but I absolutely can't stand enormous blanket statements about the state of music (or anything really) like this...I
    yeh well u shouldnt get worked up because i wasnt really bemoaning the state of anything. I like all the rap groups i listed and the only metal ive listened to in years is the newer arty stuff.
    Also when I said everyone i know is in taste and looks a hipster, i was absolutely including myself.

i would also like to state that i disagre with padraigs last statement. i think there ae times when a scene is very healthy and times when it is moribund.

nah luka I didn't think you were having a particular go at hipsters really it's just a topic like this always encourages people to be like "goddamn hipsters". I dunno but I'd hazard you + are at least roughly of an age, maybe having gotten to the point where a lot of that kind of thing seems increasingly ridiculous. I think a great deal of it is just people being uncomfortable with themselves, dealing with guilt, etc or at least it was for me...like when I was super punk rock and lived in squats + so on the people I looked down on most on were the punks who paid rent and had regular jobs, who in turn looked down on me + mine, it's always to distance yourself from what you're closest to that you're afraid of being, if you get me.

also I would agree that one unfortunate byproduct of gentrification is the killing off of just about any music/art/etc scene + just vibe that made somewhere cool in the first place. it's one of those enduring ironies that by the very act of developing an area that is "cool" you always destroy what made it cool in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    The hipster rappers thing is quite interesting, is it something to do with an increasing number of black americans belonging to the middle class/suburban world?
    i wouldve thought so. It also just an internet society effect, things like tumblr spread hipster/bohemian/skatekid values to teenagers all over the net.

this is true. it applis i think to journalism as well as gentrification. i think there are intersting parallels. (this is in response to padraig by the way)

I've never been part of what you could call an 'underground scene' but in terms of 'hipsters' living in inner London (which seems almost to be a synonym for young/ish white middle class people who like music and clubbing), it does seem that they're overwhelmingly not from London originally. I don't think I know anyone who was born in London and still lives here. In fact thinking about it, probably the only person I know well who was born here is an ex of mine who now lives in Edinburgh. White Londoners are born and grow up here but move away as adults, and people from elsewhere in the country (to say nothing of elsewhere in the world) move in.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    i know its the internet and its difficult sometimes but can we also learn to distinguish btwen times when i am in charactr and striking deliberately ridiculous exaggerated poses for rhetorical effect (99% of the time) and when i am being earnest.
    Luka knows the importance of not being earnest...
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 27-06-2011 at 01:17 PM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

I think part of the problem is there's no underground anymore, the net has virtually destroyed that, London is victim like anywhere else in that regard

Quote Originally Posted by FairiesWearBoots View Post
    I think part of the problem is there's no underground anymore, the net has virtually destroyed that, London is victim like anywhere else in that regard
    You don't have to use the internet

Burn the machines

sure a particular scene, like jungle is the classic example maybe, but I mean there's always something going on somewhere...it's like when people said that the 70s was just this musical wasteland before punk rock, that was only true if your scope was limited to mainstream rock. I just to think to say all across music is a bit much.

and to that other guy, bro, whatever. that's why I said no offense it's absolutely nothing personal. I just wanna, you know, put the contradicting statement on record. the whole point was that the hipster/not dichotomy is a false + stupid one. plenty of hip arty metal rocks hard, and some of it sucks. just like with the kvlt necro stuff. but anyway...

[QUOTE=Mr. Tea;262810]I don't think I know anyone who was born in London and still lives here. White Londoners are born and grow up here but move away as adults, and people from elsewhere in the country (to say nothing of elsewhere in the world) move in.
    QUOTE]

this is basically it, people (I include myself in this) come to London when you're young because it offers EVERYTHING, but after 10+ years of 'enjoying' the city - as you get older, moving somewhere more chilled is WAY more appealing,

besides you can travel from anywhere in the UK and have a proper 'London' weekend (friends,clubs,events,shops etc) and then go back home to chill

Quote Originally Posted by bandshell View Post
    You don't have to use the internet

Burn the machines
    point me to the word of mouth, underground raves and I'm there
    (I have been to a few crusty ones in the woods)

Quote Originally Posted by FairiesWearBoots View Post
    point me to the word of mouth, underground raves and I'm there
    (I have been to a few crusty ones in the woods)
    Start your own

i think though padraig that maybe you misunderstood th point he was making. it wasnt that main attrackionz and danny brown make bad music. its that they seem to represent something new. i think he quite likes their music. its just that a rapper rapping about selling drugs and gtting blowjobs while sporting a haircut like this
    http://www.highsnobiety.com/news/wp-...wn-Cartier.jpg
    wearing tight jeans and going on about dizzee rascal and grime music and def jux is fairly indubitably something new (isnt it?)