What do I need to know to be a Proper Grown Up?

luka

and how do i learn it. eg econmics, politics, foreign languages, a trade..... can you giv me a reading list and some homework please. i want to become a proper grown up before the end of the year, starting from scratch. i know some odds and ends, a bit about rap music, a bit about uk dance music, a bit about modernist and proto modernist poetry, how to operate an espresso machine, how to paint a house, but nothing that adds up to proper grown up status which i now aspire to.

gumdrops

i am actually in need of something similar. im currently reading arundhati roy's guide to empire which is amazing (if a bit brief) and thinking i need more brainfood like this so i can act like i work on newsnight and dazzle random strangers with my knowledge and insight. i want to be like bradley cooper in that film limitless basically.

you

economics is always a good place to start ( exclaiming that you saw the iceland problem coming etc ), but you can make quite small changes that add to growed up status, some things get you more points than others though.

Only filling up your car with a full £60 + tank of fuel with radio 4 on the radio is a small change you can make.

Opening most formal and informal discussions with a thorough synopsis of your route via motorways will add points.

An appreciation of whisky can add points in some circumstances.

First hand anecdotal evidence to add to your politcal view on Russia is worth many points. Dropping in some cynicism about post-war american foreign policy and CIA antics, equating all arguments into essentially being power struggles is good too.

Some experience of Health and Safety, or a knowledge of it's absurdism may score heavily if expanded upon with the right amount eloquence/cynicismXauthority.

Wear a proper watch is you can afford to and carry a real leather wallet. Do not wear converse or nike.

luka

thats good advice but im starting from a lower base than you realise. i havent got a drivers license.

4linehaiku

Repetitive
Opening most formal and informal discussions with a thorough synopsis of your route via motorways will add points.

I love route chat, I'm not a driver so it's just gibberish. Like listening to people play Mornington Crescent, but even more cryptic because it's just letters and numbers.

I have a leather wallet and I quite like whiskey but beyond that I'm not scoring many grown up points.

I reckon you'd score highly if you can fix stuff. Not nerdy stuff like computers (or expresso machines), things like rewiring a plug and putting up shelves.

Last edited:

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I don't think politics and economics and the like are 'grown up' knowledge - reasonably with-it sixth formers can talk about them for days and plenty of adults know nothing about them.

I'd consider most grown up knowledge to be stuff related to houses, cars, jobs etc and general self-reliance:
how mortgages, pensions, taxes etc work
how to get the washing machine fixed
how to look after yourself if you get sick or injured, and when to go to the doctor
how to find a flat and what nonobvious things might be wrong with one when you look round it
that sort of stuff...

Knowing about driving routes or (in a pinch) train routes is a good one, too.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
and how do i learn it. eg econmics, politics, foreign languages, a trade..... can you giv me a reading list and some homework please. i want to become a proper grown up before the end of the year, starting from scratch. i know some odds and ends, a bit about rap music, a bit about uk dance music, a bit about modernist and proto modernist poetry, how to operate an espresso machine, how to paint a house, but nothing that adds up to proper grown up status which i now aspire to.

I think mortgages and pensions are the main part of it. Everythign else is blaggable. Though growing up is overrated.

luka

i dont own a house. why do i need to know about a mortgage? im not sure i want to turn into alan partridge either. maybe i just want to be a reasonably with it six former. i spent every day at 6th form college around plaistow getting high and going to th pub with my mates. i didnt learn anything and i didnt pass any exams. i played some pool and spent a lot of time on th northrn outfall sewage embankment. maybe i should catch up with that stuff first. thn i could do th thing slothrop reccommends in ten years time when i will be in my 40s.

you

ok, well, without learning to drive or owning a house you can still make small changes to your lifestyle that would make you more grown up - try, in the split second before seating yourself, just pinching the material of the trouser leg material across the thigh and lifting the leg upwards and inch or so, so you can see your ankle bones whilst seated - a small change but it could make all the difference.

I feel grown up when I have a sneaky pint of guinness alone on the way home from somewhere. If you have the confidence to read a book or paper ( not the guardian, not the sun... ) as well then you could score extra bonus points here - however these will be void if you read ANY of the magazine supplements...

Dusty

Tone deaf
Thank God for this thread.

I just cannot become an adult, even people 10 years my junior still intimidate me with their worldly knowledge and grasp of mature norms. I keep thinking they have sussed me, especially when it turns out I have no interest in football and can't join in sporting pub banter. For most, listening to music all day is such an odd way to spend time... and when it does leave people bemused I just think of Peel, my child/man hero.

I own a flat and I still have no concept of even basic financial workings. The mortgage documents are something I stuff into a folder every year and pretend don't exist.

I will never learn to drive. Growing a beard has definitely helped though.

craner

Beast of Burden
I've been trying to become a genuine grown up ever since I met you, Luke. Before that, in fact. Actually, as it happens, a few weeks before I met you I was more of a grown up than a few weeks after I met you. Basically, all of the various things I've tried, avoid doing, as they won't work, or don't work. Don't try to exist purely on Bulgarian wine and Gauloises. Don't stay in a permanent job fo years constantly applying for promotions. Don't join a political party. Don't learn to drive. Don't pontificate and pose with Jews in Hendon or Arabs in Kensington. Don't attend Latin Mass. Don't read Anthony Powell or Michael Oakeshott or The Federalist Papers. Don't listen to Sidney Bechet or Django Reinhardt. Don't hold fancy seafood parties. Don't hold fancy seafood parties to a soundtrack of Sidney Bechet or Django Reinhardt, while discussing Anthony Powell with a Jew from Hendon and some Arabs from Kensington. Don't take out any subscriptions to any magazines. Don't try to become a teacher, or a lawyer. None of these things work or even make you look like an adult. Somehow, for some reason, some people grow up and settle down with kids and family by 30 or 35 as if it's the easiest and most obvious thing in the world, and they're a class apart; those who then sustain this incredible winning streak through their whole lives are marvels of Western Civ. -- they are also the ones to set and exemplify a template, a template the rest of us vainly try to emulate or achieve, or (with difficulty/bloody defiance) ignore. I am one of the doomed aspirers. I always wanted to conform to the idea of adulthood -- I liked the idea of adulthood in that whole boozy-breathed, broadsheet-reading, complicated-love-life Mad Men sort of way before Mad Men was ever broadcast or conceived. Being a kid is good while it's happening, being a teenager is miserable and exciting in equal measure: but a 30-year old dressing like a teenager or going to rock festivals or earnestly discussing a new Sugababes song struck me, at 25, as being the most shit, most embarrassing thing possible --and that was just as the Noughties was getting into full-swing, and the 30-something teens were swinging their prams around Victoria Park and what have you. I'm not saying I was right, mind you: the bogus "adult" pose was equally absurd. I'm the sort of tragic loser who's been trying to conform for years and constantly falling short, or getting it wrong, or being exposed as a fraud or an eccentric or a dreamer or a drunk or odd or antisocial. I have had some heroic failures, but they are not the sort of thing you boast about. I am the classic entry-ist who mostly can't enter, or gets in only to get kicked out again as soon as anybody recognises me. You don't even have the appetite to approach the door, Luka Vandross. I don't believe you are serious.

Last edited:

luka

i do want to understand how the world works though and that involves knowing a little about how the global economy works and some geopolitics.

luka

so get togthere with your mate vimothey and sort out a reading list and some homework.....

luka

ive been rading a brief history of neoliberalism. youd hate it. its very prescient.

gumdrops

not to derail the thread from luka, but how do you not dress like a teenager in your 30s? not going round wearing g star or rocawear or anything but i still wear t shirts and jeans. should i be wearing shirts and proper trousers all the time?

luka

mms was banging on about this years ago. no t shirts, no denim etc. its all money tho innit. its just another drain on limited funds. its nice to have good clothes but id rather have a nice dinner and a few drinks, or buy some books, or go on a day trip somewhere nice. if youre rich nough not to have to make those choices then thats all well and good, othrwise....

Leo

doubt there's one definitive answer to this question, and take heart that many people who appear to be grown ups are just bluffing their way thru as well. it's unrealistic to think you have to be an expert on everything. maybe just have a foundational understanding of various things and don't be shy about engaging people and asking how they feel about it. instead of feeling the pressure of having to pontificate on a subject, aim for engaging in a dialogue, where you don't have to carry all the weight yourself.

this might sound trivial, but an easy first step could be to read the economist. covers a vast range of topics (global/national news and politics, economy, culture), lots of serious stuff but because it's one of the best written mags around, it's very readable.

just a thought, and easier than buying a house, having a baby, etc.