Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Their own websites, parliamentary records and legal reports, a couple of books (particularly Masoud Banisadr's memoir), newspaper and magazine archives, Human Rights Watch, and so on.

So you just pulled the whole thing out of your ass, in other words? ;)

craner

Beast of Burden
It's been a long-held grudge.

I'm not just about flash adjectives and contentious polemic, Luka Vandross.

luka

this is a new dvelopment tho surely. you cant tell me youve been spending years following trails of breadcrumbs like that.

craner

Beast of Burden
Yes, I can. I've been following these fuckers since about 2006. I've been meaning to do a number on them for years. I just got around to it.

Ah, yes, I should mention that I had to remove the post as I submitted it for publication this morning -- not that it is likely to get published, but give it a week.

Would you like me to email you the text, Sufi?

luka

Foreign policy is self-interest.
this is the key to craners politics. its the interesting part of his politics. its why he is good at uncovering links between different groups, countries and stuff... its a shame hes so overemotional. if it wasnt for the hysteria which is probably a result of Welshness, all his things would be good to read. illuminating. he sees the world as a big battlefield, and he knows more about what goes on in that battlefield than any of us. i will give him that. not a battlefild of good vs evil, more lik the columbia he wrote about with about 9 different factions all fighting each other at the same time with coalitions forming and dissolving all the time as the balance of power shifts. its quite a sexy 19th c view of th world. i find it very seductive and manly.

craner

Beast of Burden
This is the first part of my Gulnara Karimova expose. I had to snap it in two, because there was too much to write about.

It's a bit of fluff, really, but Part 2 gets quite heavy.

Last edited:

e/y

not fluff at all, imo, quite interesting nonetheless. thanks craner, looking forward to pt. II.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
just wanted to say I also enjoyed - or maybe that isn't the right word, was very interested by I guess - your Gulnara expose. it reminds me of something out of the middle ages, the way a despot (or despot's child, whatever) can exercise great power and commit all kinds of atrocities and still move in the most fashionable social circles. or like Louis XIV crossed with a Vanderbilt or Carnegie, any of those elite university namesake robber barons, who cutthroat their way to the top and then bought respectability...it puts me mind of that part in Chinatown where John Huston says politicians + whores both get respectable if they live long enough, since I reckon Gulnara is more than a bit of both. anyway, I reckon it all says more about the world we live in now than Gulnara who, while not to excuse any of her/her family's personal responsibility or heinous acts, is mainly a cipher for that, like she's at the very end of this chain of evolution, this ultimate post-modern capitalist beast just gobbling up everything in sight while producing nothing of value. or maybe just Central Asian gangster Imelda Marcos on steroids. anyway I'm rambling but I liked it. you're a good writer.

(+ just in case that wasn't clear, eff Gulnara, her sister, dad and brutal shitty dictators everywhere + forever. especially ones who brutalize + impoverish their own people for the sake of making fucking couture. although the celebrity parasites she attracts are arguably even worse. as if there weren't enough reasons to loathe Sting. also, did you know she has a Masters from fucking Harvard? they must be really proud of that one at the Kennedy School of Govt...)

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
Thank you; I tracked my quarry, she's been my muse. It's a global exclusive, in fact, nobody has ever put together all of that information on her before, that's why I'm so pleased with myself. I actually had to start learning Russian to do it properly. Да. But she was fully worth it, mind; Guli was a gift that kept giving. She's been in my dreams and nightmares.

e/y

what padraig said - very interesting pieces, craner.

our own Dear Leader has recently cut the ribbons for the world's tallest flagpole - which stands about 50 meters away from a collapsing, decrepit school.

btw, if in the future you need any Russian texts translated, PM me and I'll give it a try.

craner

Beast of Burden
I will, thanks. It's not an easy language to learn, but I found a good looking teacher, so that helps. By the way, am I missing something in your link, or are you Tajik?