e/y

I strongly dislike her but the case and everything surrounding it (from my rather uninformed perspective) is a disgrace, though hardly surprising. (another) good post, craner.

luka

would the craner of old used 'vile' and 'grotesque' in the same sentence though? i prefered it when you preened and strutted. what prompted the stylistic change? ive mentioned it before. do you think it will help you get published?

craner

Beast of Burden
What do you mean, change? This is as polemical as I get. Is it wrong to use both words in the same sentence? The thing flows, I think. It has energy and momentum. That's what is important.

luka

theres been a quite serious deterioation in your prose. i assume its deliberate.

luka

im not being abusive for the sake of it. i can show you what i mean once my mum leaves i guess shes chatting to cahty at the moment.

luka

its not about about being polemical/ its partly to do with, to use one of your favourite words, chutzpah, partly to do with performance, partly to do with personna, partly to do with word choice and rhythm.

luka

personna is important. it lends depth and nuance to what you write. you developed a very good personna. it was very recognisable. it lent humanity to the writing so it could be enjoyed even when you were talking the most heinous objectionable load of bollocks. it made it clear there was some sense of self-awareness and humour and proportion. it undercutthe pomposity because it recognised and was duly awkward about the pomposity. nuance. it was a balancing act. the writing needed it. it was a good performance. everyone liked it.

craner

Beast of Burden
Don't talk such rubbish, the style is more burnished and fluent than it has ever been. You're hallucinating, or being abusive for the sake of it, possibly because you are bored or unhappy with your own performance.

luka

no its now flat and hackneyed. im quite pleased with my performance, although i admit ive been very flat over the last week or two. but put that down to the heat and humidity which is sapping my vitality.

luka

if it helps i dont think the decline is terminal. you can get it back. maybe youve lost some of your sense of fun too. irresponsibilty.

craner

Beast of Burden
What are you basing this fantasy of decline on? I'm writing the same stuff now as in 2005. If it is crap now it was crap then. I think it's alright, myself. Nothing much has changed. Still fluent, still pretentious and overblown.

craner

Beast of Burden
You would not be able to find an example to back up what you are talking about. Not one sentence. You've been banging on in the same tone in regard to everything I have done in the last six years. It's usually exacerbated simply by the fact that I have't taken your advice about something.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
Yes, but there is an element of ventriloquism in that passage that you have totally missed. Did you even read beyond the first three paragraphs? Probably not.

luka

i read the whole thing i promise i found it very interesting. i just didnt like the prose and i rarely criticise your prose in actual fact. i certainly havent been doing it for years. ive been cirticising your politics for years but ive given up doing that. the only things ive criticised for the writing have been this and one other thing, possibly the iranian peice.

craner

Beast of Burden
I know you too well. That is a very tactical post. You are lulling me into a false sense of security. If I retreat one step from my defensive position, you will lunge in for the kill. Very clever, Mr. Vandross.

luka

jesus you are so paranoid. i did find it interesting. in a number of ways. i read it twice.