Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: salute tottenham

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    I could kind of tell that as soon as I saw it...
    It's like what Nomad said once about the long-time regulars here being like an old married couple who finish each other's sentences.

I could tell you were sort-of joking, because you're the board's designated joker - it's just that that "oh man, violence is so cool" thing winds me up, even if it's half in jest. And I believe you about your sympathies for all the innocent people affected by this, I really do. I mainly find the whole thing just depressing.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

But really, how long was it gonna be after the Tories started dismantling Britain til 'rioting' started in deprived areas of Britain?

I hate the media insinuation (even in the supposedly left-wing press) that poor people are somehow essentially more inclined to violence/ 'mindless' 'thuggery'. I think you'll find there's a fucking CONTEXT for that.

It is indeed very depressing that violence in poor areas ends up most affecting poor people though, definitely. I think people should take a leaf out of the book of French banlieue kids' books and go to rich areas to 'riot' (at least that happened a couple of times when I was there, not sure if it's a regular thing)

Residents said they had been driven from their homes and had lost everything. Stuart Radose had to flee his flat above a Carpetright shop in Tottenham High Road as fire ravaged the building.

"We've gone back this morning and it's a complete shell," he told Sky News. "Everything we had is gone. It's just mad. So many people have lost everything. It's just crazy. It looks like it's the second world war. It looks like the Blitz where we were living."

He said he had watched from his balcony as "things were getting worse and worse". "There didn't seem to be a police presence at all," he added. "Buildings seemed to be allowed to burn. I guess they couldn't get there.

"I think we've probably spent our last night in Tottenham. We're just in shock."
    Last edited by baboon2004; 07-08-2011 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    but there is something, i dont know if its the complacency or what, about the david mitchell/mr tea, common sense, reasonable adult view point that i find a bit frightening. never go too far in any direction. its wisdom, up to a point, but at the same time its evil. i dont know, its a quandry. its something i think about.

fucking hell, yeah. all smugly rational. so annoying.

So the answer is what - a cultivated irrationality? I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. It just reminds me of hundredmillionlifetimes' endless attacks on "commonsense".

And Baboon is dead right, the people who've suffered here are the people in Tottenham who've lost their homes and businesses. People who have nothing to do with the government or the police, or with gun-toting criminals either.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/ju...th-clubs-close

the guardian partly redeems itself for the awfulness of its lead reporting

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/ju...th-clubs-close

the guardian partly redeems itself for the awfulness of its lead reporting
    so all it takes are a couple of triggers:
    2 police cars on fire in tottenham yesterday evening
    http://dannyhackett.wordpress.com/20...ttenham-riots/
    & then after t-mobile over in wood green got smashed up and police did not respond the whole street got mugged within a few hours
    http://dyingbreed-27.blogspot.com/2011/08/n17-n22.html
    http://www.harringayonline.com/forum...-of-last-night
    in n13 it was sirens & helicopters all night long
    i could really do with a new laptop if anyone's out this evening, looks like rain tho

[]
    Last edited by sufi; 16-08-2011 at 10:44 PM. Reason: kangaroo courts

exactly what i am saluting? the people whose shops got looted? or the people who have to work and live in that area who probably got something of theirs destroyed? if they all robbed tesco or argos i could kind of see some sort of skewed 'sticking it to the man' type angle but most likely it was small business owners who dont have that much money to spend on looters and rioters and generally dickheads fucking over their property.

that said, yeah, i salute the protest. just not what followed.

its still not clear if the guy shot the police or not is it?

also id like to see people 'saluting' this kind of thing in their own neighbourhood. 'yeah good on you burning down the building my flat is in! nice one!'

i know people are tying this to the cuts and so on, but its prob just to do with ongoing resentment about police brutality in the black community. but if this guy shot at the police - still not confirmed i know - then you cant expect police not to do anything about it. unless im totally off base, its odd that this issue is not even being touched on in the papers yet. i mean if you wanna riot cos of the cuts, lack of education and jobs, poor services in the area, do that, but if youre a guy shooting at the fucking police, everyone knows whats gonna happen and its not going to be pretty.
    Last edited by gumdrops; 07-08-2011 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gumdrops View Post
    that said, yeah, i salute the protest. just not what followed.

its still not clear if the guy shot the police or not is it?
    Well every report I can find says a copper was taken to hospital after getting shot. Seems unlikely the dead guy would have been able to respond if he'd been hit first with two shots from an H&K.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    it's just that that "oh man, violence is so cool" thing winds me up,
    Last edited by highhhness; 08-08-2011 at 02:53 AM.

fuck it's all kicked off

Initial ballistics tests on the bullet that lodged in a police officer's radio when Mark Duggan died on Thursday night show it was a police issue bullet, the Guardian understands.

the sense i get from highness, gumdrops and tea is you should all just behave yourself like responsible adults when i think that its probably fair to say there is a war being waged against the people of the world. in some sense there is a war on and doing as your told is probably not the best way to respond to a situation like that. i know this is the new dissensus full of dsf refugees and as such basically dull and reactionary, middlebrow middle england parochial mediocre unimaginative flat footed and slow witted (with two, maximum three exceptions) but cant they just stick to the dubstep and post-dubstep threads and not clog up the other ones with boring comments? there was a girl i was talking to that was saying the greeks shouldnt protest becasu they are 'harming tourism' well yeah they are, so were the protestors in egypt, they did terrible damage to the tourism industry... its vry reveling though isnt it... that sort of comment....

If someone is on tweeter could you tell the youth that a double decker should be pushed lengthways across the road before you set in on fire where it becomes an effective barrier between you and mounted police.

And Buckingham Palace on fire next please as a request.

MEET @ PARLIAMENT 2MORROW 2 SHOW DEM WHO RUN STREETS.