salute tottenham

grizzleb

Facist Britain 2011. Scarey shit. Nobody on the mainstream left seems to be shouting about it, as seems to be standard when civil liberties are being grossly impinged.

crackerjack

was just listening to resonance fm and they said a guy in his 60s with no priors has been given a custodial sentence for handling a few tennis rackets.

you saw the link earlier, right? A mum jailed for wearing a pair of shorts her bloke had nicked in Mcr.

e/y

Did you see Sickboy's video of protesters vs. cops in Toronto, with this insecure prick in uniform having some girl arrested for 'assaulting' him with bubbles?

police during those protests were acting like complete cunts. several of my friends got detained even though they were just walking from work (one b/c he had spare clothes in his backpack).

I avoided leaving the house for 2-3 days b.c I thought I'd get arrested and have my student visa taken away.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Facist Britain 2011. Scarey shit.
Surely only a matter of time:

ed209.jpg

Nobody on the mainstream left seems to be shouting about it, as seems to be standard when civil liberties are being grossly impinged.

Yet another opportunity for the 'mainstream left' (to the extent that one still exists in this country) to regroup, sort its fucking priorities out and make major political capital out of the Tory-Lib shitstorm...down the crapper. Again.

Last edited:

sufi

lala
Facist Britain 2011. Scarey shit. Nobody on the mainstream left seems to be shouting about it, as seems to be standard when civil liberties are being grossly impinged.
Author: Shami Chakrabarti, Director of Liberty
The past few days have been very sad for a number of cities across the country - scenes of violence, looting and arson in London, Birmingham and Bristol have been constantly on our TV screens.
Our thoughts are with all those who have been affected - people have been injured, property damaged and our communities ransacked.

In very testing circumstances, the response of both the police and Government has been measured and proportionate so far - we welcome this and hope it will continue.

It is clear that this completely destructive lawlessness has no rational connection with the shooting in Tottenham.

Nonetheless it is vital that the IPCC undertakes a speedy and thorough investigation into the death. This wanton violent disorder serves only to distract from that vital inquiry.
http://www.liberty-human-rights.org.uk/news/2011/riots.php on 9th August mind, but still...:mad:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
was just listening to resonance fm and they said a guy in his 60s with no priors has been given a custodial sentence for handling a few tennis rackets. how is it allowed that judges are able to pass these sentences that seem to have no bearing on the actual offence? also heard about one guy whose blackberry was terminated outright cos allegedly he sent/recieved some messages about rioting/looting. who knows if he did. but you dont see BT cutting the phone lines of criminals. or even facebook getting rid of criminals profiles. very weird shit is happening in this country.

cos they can, i guess. didn't cameron tell courts to abandoon normal sentencing, to make an example of people etc etc? sentencing laws are very easily shifted in times like this, just as in other countries where we're told governments are 'regimes'.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
police during those protests were acting like complete cunts. several of my friends got detained even though they were just walking from work (one b/c he had spare clothes in his backpack).

I avoided leaving the house for 2-3 days b.c I thought I'd get arrested and have my student visa taken away.

on some programme in the uk they interviewed a guy who had been a policeman in the uk, and now lived in canada, who was remarking on how much less trouble he got there, and therefore that this justified the police having more guns.

really beyond satire.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Cos the aim of policing is to make the job of policing easier of course...
Weird that you go to legal school, spend years as a solicitor and through your wisdom and unflappability get promoted to being a judge; a knowledgeable and intelligent expert on the law and on resisting the distractions and noise that can influence your decisions. And then a few panicked headlines in the Daily Fail and you start sending people to the gallows for "handling" a stolen pair of shorts.
Anyway, got hold of my mate's solicitor and they don't know where he is either but they're trying to find out.

crackerjack

2 guys have just been given 4 years for incitement on Facebook.

4 years just a week after the crime - what kind of defence can you get in that time?

does the prosecution even need to show it had any effect?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I wonder what this incitement amounted to...probably something utterly heinous like writing "GO ON MY SON!!" on their mate's 'wall'...

Ulala

Awkward Woodward
The tweet Crackerjack links above:

@David Allen Green tweets:

In other news, Kaiser Chiefs members get six years each.

made me very excited (they should be banged up just for fucking "Ruby", let alone looting or arson), but then I realised that they it was merely a satirical 'joke' based on their "I Predict A Riot" song. Bah. I curse myself for my stupidity and credulousness, and curse the Kaiser Chiefs for being the architects of my downfall. Oh well.

crackerjack

The tweet Crackerjack links above:

made me very excited (they should be banged up just for fucking "Ruby", let alone looting or arson), but then I realised that they it was merely a satirical 'joke' based on their "I Predict A Riot" song. Bah. I curse myself for my stupidity and credulousness, and curse the Kaiser Chiefs for being the architects of my downfall. Oh well.

:D

Think these sentences are a political beartrap. Govt instructing judiciary to push to the limit and beyond, not so much because the tough sentences look good (up to a point), more cos they're really hoping Labour will come out against them and be 'on the side of the rioters'. Ed Mili pushed it as far as he could reasonably* go yesterday in criticising punishment gimmicks and emphasising sociopolitical causes - can't see senior figures coming out against this vicious sentencing, alas.

*by reasonable I mean without committing political suicide

crackerjack

I wonder what this incitement amounted to...probably something utterly heinous like writing "GO ON MY SON!!" on their mate's 'wall'...

Report here.

So apparently absolutely no one - not even the instigators themselves - turned up to either of these 'riots'. One was even pissed when he did it and seems to have taken it down unprompted.

Fucking disgraceful.

grizzleb

Yet another opportunity for the 'mainstream left' (to the extent that one exists in this country) to regroup, so its fucking priorities out and make major political capital out of the Tory-Lib shitstorm...down the crapper. Again.

Not sure what you're getting at here (crossed wires I think), but I was actually talking about the Shami Chakrabati's of this world (seen that article earlier) as well as people like the Lib Dem's, and the Guardian. Calls for water cannons/rubber bullets and now WILD sentences all seem to have been met with an unthought aquiescence by these usually seemingly vigilant individuals and groups. If these guys getting 4 years doesn't become a contentious issue then I'm going to start being seriously worried about how things are going. These people spend years defending civil liberties and one big riot and they want rubber bullets? I'm sorry but that's wildly inconsistent, and ignores how impingements on freedoms are made incrementally.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I mainly meant the actual Labour party, so "left" in quote marks...still to the left of the Tories, obviously, but the new police powers and other authoritarian laws that are going to come out of this are surely just going to carry on a trajectory that began under Blair and intensified under Brown.

Have any major Labour bods apart from Livingstone said anything worthwhile about the rioting and its causes? As far as I can see Ed Miliband has made some pretty shallow noises about the underlying causes, but most of the things he's complaining about were going on under the last government just as much as they are now.

You're right about the statement from a guy supposedly representing a group called 'Liberty'...I guess it was issued on the 9th and therefore before the real shockers had come out?

Last edited: