salute tottenham

stevied

Notting Hill Diary

Diane Abbott, writing in the Evening Standard, demanded a curfew to deal with "these young people, who seem to have no stake in society"; on the same page, diners at the "Michelin-starred Ledbury gastropub" in Notting Hill were locked into a wine cellar to escape a "brutal invasion". Murmured one: "I was kind of hoping to finish the rest of my tasting menu, but all the broken glass and turned-over tables probably wasn't conducive to a nice dining environment"...I was sad to see the cheese cart which had glass littered over it. So much cheese gone to waste."

Another resident of the borough, by contrast, observed: "Bruv and I hit the street at nightfall, a bit upset that the Gate hadn't figured on the map so far, but thank God! there at the end of the Grove was the army, checking their blackberries and clutching copies of Banalites de base. Lovely fellas! We could see their tight little buns underneath the baggies, and one of 'em was holding a placard: The Best Thing Is, Never To Have Been Born. Ain't seen anything like it since Nechayev..."

Riot roundup on Mute

Thanks very much!

Last edited:

crackerjack

Didn't really want to put this here, but can't find the Cops thread...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/sep/02/smiley-culture-david-emmanual-reggae

It's a bit early in the morning and the coffee hasn't kicked in, but I've read this twice and I can't see what the "not satisfactory" actions of the police were or why one particular officer was criticised. What I can see, though, is that the PC who was with Smiley when he was stabbed has refused to give a formal interview, that there were no fingerprints on the knife (almost as if they'd been wiped) and that a "calm and compliant" suspect supposedly turned suicidal when nobody else was looking.

This just couldn't stink any more.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2...ummer-unrest?commentpage=last#end-of-comments

big up the Guardian for doing this - dont' like a lot of things they say/do, but they occasionally get it very right.

As usual, though, the best bit is the comments thread. From the very first comment:

Even if they do got to uni, that does not guarantee them a plum job when they finish, perhaps they have to start at the bottom and work their way up (there education will help them do this quick than staff without degrees)

I don't think I'll ever get tired of reading self-righteous rants bemoaning how lazy/ignorant/ill-educated young people are these days that are themselves full of errors...

IdleRich

IdleRich
"It's a bit early in the morning and the coffee hasn't kicked in, but I've read this twice and I can't see what the "not satisfactory" actions of the police were or why one particular officer was criticised. What I can see, though, is that the PC who was with Smiley when he was stabbed has refused to give a formal interview, that there were no fingerprints on the knife (almost as if they'd been wiped) and that a "calm and compliant" suspect supposedly turned suicidal when nobody else was looking."
I don't understand how anyone, especially a policeman, can be allowed to refuse to give a formal interview in these circumstances.

you

9780729.jpg

full story here

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Quite surprised this hasn't happened again since 2011. At the time it felt like this was going to be the start of an (at least) annual occurence.

sufi

lala
they're goona "hunt down" anyone who might have robbed a store in oxford st - altho no stores were robbed of course it's a major panic
so i guess that really means they will try and get the tiktokkers who roused the rabble...

i don't see anything to prevent these two courses of action, now that the tech is available

1. mass action triggered by social media (kinda like 2011 was on bbm, it's surprising that this was never repeated),
  2. and mass repression base on social media profiles
i'm wondering which social movements are gonna exploit this, it's easy to imagine riots, demos, pogroms :( picking up that convo from a couple of years ago with @padraig (u.s.)