salute tottenham

john eden

male pale and stale
Dont you mean:

this can of course "get lost" or the cameras "may not have been working..."

Id say the Met are missing Hayman and the NOTW right now.

what I am suggesting it that all sorts of things can happen. :slanted:

D

droid

Yowch. Riots are all well and good when you're cheering from the sidelines 6000 miles away, Id hate to be in a flat with 2 kids scared out of their wits as the flames get closer...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
pretty sure the IPCC have said they are looking at CCTV footage. Mind you, this can of course get lost or the cameras may not have been working...

Yeah, I hear ya. Did something like that happen in the de Menezes case? In addition to the fudged photofit?

Last edited:

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
I'm slightly surprised that this has gone as far as it has (perhaps I shouldn't be?). 3 days of rioting spreading across the city seems a pretty big deal.
Maybe stating the obvious here, but one of the saddest things about it for me is that the inevitable aftermath of it will be the authorities coming down even harder on people in terms of stop & search etc.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
I'm slightly surprised that this has gone as far as it has (perhaps I shouldn't be?). 3 days of rioting spreading across the city seems a pretty big deal.

Yeah, it would make me even more suspicious of the Met given how well(?) trained they are to deal with this stuff. Probably hoping the bigger story will take over.

Any sympathy they were angling for will be long gone if the continue to stand by. They would have been spraying plastic bullets Sunday evening if this was Belfast.

vimothy

yurp
criminals - who people generally expect to act like criminals.

Most people do not expect the police to act like criminals.

Isn’t that what the police were doing, though? The police were surveilling a gang member as part of Operation Trident, tried to arrest him, in the course of which he was killed.

The assumption by some members of the public has been that, for some reason, the police decided, after they had arrested him, to execute him in cold blood. Why? Probably this is just the sort of thing that police officers enjoy. It’s been a while since we’ve killed any innocent bystanders, and, even though we’re not sure how much of an innocent bystander this guy is, he’ll have to do!

So in fact it seems as though acting like criminals is precisely the sort of thing people are expecting of the police.

Since then we’ve had three days of violence and looting—by criminals, the very people who the police are supposed to protect us from.

Perhaps we should just give over the capital to them; perhaps this is the start of a kind of glorious Arab Spring for the UK. What else can the police do, anyway? Stand around getting hit by rocks waiting for the violence to stop, by the looks of things. Obviously, if the police try to push back too vigorously against the “protesters”, someone might get hurt. And when people get hurt by the police, we end up with cities in flames.

Anyway, viva la revolution! Burn London to the fucking ground! And everywhere else!

Any sympathy they were angling for will be long gone if the continue to stand by.

Er, you can't have it both ways.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
^ I don't think the majority of people are absolutely convinced that the police carried out an execution, they are just doubtful that the official story that has come from the police so far is complete or accurate.
Rich covered this all very well upthread, but def in the case of the Met it's reasonable based on previous experience - all of the misinformation in the Menezes & Tomlinson cases and how hard it had to be pushed to get at the truth there, plus unanswered questions in other cases like that of Smiley Culture - to adopt an initial position of suspicion and wait to be proved otherwise. My personal best guess would be that something went wrong during the arrest of Duggan and they've adopted their usual approach of 'move along nothing to see here' to attempt to cover up mistakes (c.f. the way they've already had to admit the initial claims about the bullet in the dashboard were wrong).
More generally, I don't think it is hypocritical to expect higher standards of behavior from the police force than from the average citizen. As others have said, it goes with their role of protecting the public, but it also goes with the power they hold over the public, being permitted to use force and control over them. If we as a population grant them those powers, it's fair to demand in return that they be beyond reproach.

Edit: this all in response to Vim post at top of page obv.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Maybe stating the obvious here, but one of the saddest things about it for me is that the inevitable aftermath of it will be the authorities coming down even harder on people in terms of stop & search etc.

the conspiracy theorist in me wonders if the flames are actually being fanned partly from behind the scenes.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Er, you can't have it both ways.

Im talking about high street buildings burning away on live tv for hours with seemingly no response.
Hours of looting taking place.

Doesn't make sense in 2011 London from the outside

Last edited:

sufi

lala
reckon mobile phones may well go down soon - if not becos of capacity then to stop the 'hoodlums' communicating

all very exciting!

hucks

Your Message Here
Bus set on fire on my road in Dalston. Kids ran down my road earlier chased by police from Hackney Downs.