Disclosure checks are a fucking rip-off

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
I guess this is basically a selfish rant that poss doesn't even belong in Politics.
But seriously, there does seem to be something wrong about citizens being repeatedly charged to prove that they're not criminals. It's something I find hard to formulate into a coherent statement as to what the exact problem is but... argh, does my fuckin head in. :mad:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Is this like a CRB check? Got mine done for free by doing work for a school. I think you can often do that if you do some volunteering although that's arguably paying for it in another way.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Aye. Obv I can't complain about them in relation to schools, but I keep finding them come up in relation to applying for what are mostly just-above-minimum-wage office jobs. I have one from when I did voluntary work at uni but it's now out of date so I have to pay the full whack again plus more for the 'enhanced' status that's required for a lot of jobs now. Moan moan whine whine, worse things happen at sea etc, but I can't help thinking this sort of thing puts people off from applying for a lot of jobs at a time when there is high unemployment, concerns about benefit reliance etc.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah, it doesn't seem fair if you're applying for a job and you've got to pay out for all these things. It's only a few quid but if you're on the dole and right up against it it can be a payment that you really don't need to make.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Oh and it takes up to 4 weeks to process even though (and maybe this is just my basic paranoia coming through) I'm sure with all the data that it is held on people it could basically be sorted at the click of a button.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I had to pay £44 for one earlier this year when I went back to do a bit of tutoring. I had one a few years ago (can't remember what it cost but it sure as hell wasn't £44) but apparently needed a new one as I could have molested hundreds of children in that time, obviously. And it took like fucking TWO MONTHS or something crazy to come back.

It's all very well pointing to cases like the Soham murders in support of this kind of thing, and obviously any potential instance of abuse that's averted is a good thing, but the whole culture of obsession with 'stranger danger', quite apart from horribly alienating children from adults, is that it ignores the vast majority of serious abuse that occurs within families, or is committed by people known to the victim's family. That said, they way things are going parents will need a CRB check to bring up their own children before too long...