gumdrops

i mean its not 100% RIP by any means but it does seem really slow compared to when i first came here. is it just cos there arent many new users?

Ulala

Awkward Woodward
"Looks dead - but it isn't, it just wishes it was."

Isn't it just the summer slowdown which affects all things - people are out in the sun or on holiday or whatever? Pretty sure that, when people are stuck inside in the cold come November, they'll be more vociferous.

The only way to defibrillate it is to post lots and/or start new threads. The more provocatively titled the better, like this one.

(Incidentally, I have a hangover, hence the above is probably gibberish. I do have some own brand 'Fabulous Iron Brew', however, so worry not.)

hucks

Your Message Here
I actually think it's better now than it was about a year ago. The board had lost a few interesting posters -Noel Limits, Nomad. The Salute Tottenham and Adam Curtis threads are good.

The music ones maybe not so much. Too much YouTube. There's also some sort of balance between creating content and consuming it. The standard post industrial decline. I'm more of a consumer than a producer myself, but too many people like me can make a board boring.

craner

Beast of Burden
I think it drags, I'm sad to say. I don't know why. Everybody is too reasonable, a lot of the big personalities have drifted away (or stormed off), and the essential and important nutters have all been banned. An enormous reason, maybe THE reason, for the stagnation has been the elimination of Padraig/HMLT. The defection of the K-Punk bloc has been detrimental, too, although that happened a long time ago.

gumdrops

Everybody is too reasonable

yes

maybe theyre trying to 'network', not sure

The music ones maybe not so much. Too much YouTube.

definitely

i hate seeing a post with endless youtube videos (though i have heard good stuff from these things, its just offputting to see too much of it in place of actual words).

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I love it here, I post on this forum more than any other nowadays...

But I think us newcomers probably ruined it a bit by posting up too many youtube links etc. The standard of discussion on here was much higher in the past (from searching through old threads) - or much more interesting/provocative, at least. I think perhaps the new generation of dissensians should lay down their swords and let the french theory spouting maniacs of old return. We could make a spin-off forum called ''Only Built 4 Youtube Linx''.

zhao

there are no accidents
i drifted off for a minute (or a year) but been kinda stepping back from time to time. still one of the only places on this internet thing where i can find people into some of the same shit i am. (even though most here fall into the same trappings as mainstream bullshit CONsensus reality in many respects)

i said it at the time and i'll say it again: banning HTML was not only supremely stupid because it's bad for the energy of the board, but also just plainly, morally WRONG, UNJUST, and ill fitting of the idea behind this very forum. -- so the fuck what if dude was militant and got emotional and called people racists and neo-cons??? i thought this place was called DISSENSUS - meaning a place to DISAGREE for fuck sake?!?!?!

(i visit the american "hollerboard" sometimes and constantly, seriously piss everyone there off, including the mods, with my anti-nationalist - which of course always gets interpreted as anti-American :rolleyes: - and whatever posts. and calling them retard gun loving hillbillies or whatever - i can honestly say a LOT of people on there really, really hate me - i call that DJ Ayers, part founder of that board, a "drooling idiot" to his face and i have never been banned. so on this front at least: Hollerboard 1, Dissensus 0)

i think the people who banned him owe him an APOLOGY and should ask him to come back.

nomos

Administrator
Fucksake, zhao. Calm down. People need to quit harping about HMLT. It had nothing to do with his politics. He repeatedly insulted, (physically) threatened, and harassed people, both on the board and through the messaging system. He's one major reason why a number of longtime posters stopped bothering. And as the moderator who spent the most time dealing with his shit (most of which you never saw) I don't have any apologies whatsoever. I'll accept one from you though.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
no interesting music = no interesting discussion

fair point? The big threads are all on grime, dubstep, juke and UK House:
maybe we are just waiting for that next big thing to surface.

Also - there seems to be more bitesized stuff here now, influence from Twitter
and Tumblr? In fact some of the contributors might have moved on to places like
these.

It's a bit like blogging, not as popular as before. Every dog has its day,
but dissensus is still worth a visit. A thread like the Adam Curtis one is lively
and interesting enough to make dissenssus worthwhile.

craner

Beast of Burden
No way! He physically threatened people? Who? How? Spill the beans, moderator.

One of the fun things about Padraig would be the periods sometime after he'd been banned again, when he would sign up with a brand-new nom de plume while strenuously trying to disguise his identity. It would always fail because he found concealment and subtlety impossible to sustain. Slowly the posts would get suspiciously Padraig-ised (with the give-away kenning insults, the gaudy splattering of graphics) and soon enough one of us would unmask him -- usually me, I could always sense his return, like a dog sniffing the air. It was an annual competition that quickly turned into a bloodsport. Sadly, the periods between reappearance and carnage got too short and, I think, he was barred on mental health grounds, never to return.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
i think there's been a massive lull due to summer (i wouldn't be on here as often if I didn't need to (put off) do(ing) my bastard dissertation); I remember similar sentiments being expressed before in periods of lull, as someone else said here.

i've moved off the music threads, which I thought was largely cos I'd finally stopped getting as interested in new music as I was (which I said to myself would never happen), but I think there's been enough dischord on the other threads to merit the name still. As to the music....I just don't care much about James Blake or post-dubstep much either way, I guess...and funky seems to me to have gone off the boil , but then maybe again I just got old. Can grime come back properly please?

zhao

there are no accidents
Fucksake, zhao. Calm down. People need to quit harping about HMLT. It had nothing to do with his politics. He repeatedly insulted, (physically) threatened, and harassed people, both on the board and through the messaging system. He's one major reason why a number of longtime posters stopped bothering. And as the moderator who spent the most time dealing with his shit (most of which you never saw) I don't have any apologies whatsoever. I'll accept one from you though.

in addition to telling who and how he physically threatened, please to list the "number of longtime posters" who left because of him.

my assessment may be on or off mark, and i've always liked you nomos, but apologize to you for what? disagreeing?

nomos

Administrator
yeah i was being facetious about that. but come on zhao, four years later and you're suddenly getting in an all-caps froth over the persecution of Pad/HMLT? demanding names and restitution - shall we have a public inquiry? it's not hard to see why he was banned or who he went after, just look at the threads. and there was more going on in the background, which i'm not going to get into.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
well i never liked the banning, and said it in a softer way at the time, but now with the perspective which comes with time passing, i feel even stronger about it.

and by the way i also know people who stopped posting because of the ban. i remember receiving PMs like "i don't know about this place or what it's turning into..."

whatever. i suppose it's water under the bridge now. polluted or not.

but a great universal truth is that flaws make people interesting... and extreme flaws sometimes make people extremely interesting.

bruno

est malade
as someone who never made a great mark on the board, and who left ages ago, i can offer my detached perspective.

the world is vast. the board, on the other hand, is too london-centric, too uk-centric. this is fine in that you don't ask the pear tree for oranges, but the result is that the outlook is limited and not very stimulating. there is a closing in of sorts that has made the uk very dull (aside from the shard, which is coming along nicely!). funky house, to give an example, is just not very stimulating or interesting outside of london, in fact it's a measure of how stale things seem from the outside.

almost as untouchable as london are the human totems/sacred cows. the founders of the board are not to be spoken ill of, naturally, nor is mr. reynolds and his all-encompassing theory of the continuum. all are treated with much respect and reverence, and some grovelling. as to users, obnoxious, narcissistic, self-aggrandizing, quasi fascistic ones will be tolerated, (obnoxious) communists such as hundredmillionlifetimes will be banned.

the youtube thing mentioned above is also an issue to those of us in the periphery as threads have one embedded video after another that is unavailable in my country or has been taken down. i'm not a poet or writer, but i prefer even the odd scribble to the wasteland of dead posts that say nothing.

ultimately however i only have myself to blame for losing interest in dissensus. i'm sure i have missed out on a lot of things and may not have contributed anything of interest had i posted more frequently anyway. i really have nothing to say other than dissensus is still in my autocomplete and that leads me here from time to time, lured by the prospect of interesting content/posts. so to end this note, i have to say i loved this place and wish the board and all of you the best in the future!

bruno