Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: accent-ism

I'm not sure what my accent's like. I presume it's quite Yorkshire. Apparently, I slur my speech a fair bit.

I say 'garij' and 'scon'.

Quote Originally Posted by gumdrops View Post
    ok so how do you say scone? (supposedly this is a good test)

is it SCOAN (like sloane, although you can say this in a very posh RP way AND a london-y cockney way too)

or is it SCON?

the other test is 'garage' but i think people say that in all sorts of ways now so im not sure if you can still tell much about someone and how they say 'garaaaaaaaj', 'garaj' or 'garridge'.
    my poshness test is simple. if you're under 45 and say 'supper'.

I say 'sconn', I think 'scoan' sounds ridiculously affected and lah-di-dah. But 'garage' depends on the meaning of the word: a GAH-razh is a little house for your car, or where you take your car to get it fixed; GAH-ridge is the music you used to hear blasting out of a small car with tinted windows and a huge stereo about ten years ago.

gah-RAZH is strictly for Americans only.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by gumdrops View Post
    ok so how do you say scone? (supposedly this is a good test)

is it SCOAN (like sloane, although you can say this in a very posh RP way AND a london-y cockney way too)

or is it SCON?

the other test is 'garage' but i think people say that in all sorts of ways now so im not sure if you can still tell much about someone and how they say 'garaaaaaaaj', 'garaj' or 'garridge'.
    It's sloane as in 'pwned' except in very rough sex, when it's 'slon! slon! slohhhhn!'.

I cannot say the word 'garage' without thinking of the Simpsons where Moe calls Homer out for pronouncing it 'garaaaj' and being very fancy; when he is asked how he pronounces it says 'car-hole'.

So I pronounce it 'car-hole'

actually ive been doing the scone test to myself and forgotten which is meant to imply what. i cant tell anymore. you can say both and sound RP or otherwise.

lol@'super!'

I am tone-deaf with accents, with one understandable exception. I can hardly tell regional American accents apart, except for almost caricatured New York or Texan. When I was in Leeds, I was awash in indistinguishable Northern noises.

On the South Wales Seaboard/Heads of the Valleys region, however, I have an exact, almost refined, ear. I can tell Carmarthen from Llanelli, Neath from Swansea, Maesteg from Caerphilly; I could tell you whether you came from Cowbridge or Bridgend (which would also be a class distinction, in all probability). The inner city Cardiff accent (Butetown, say, or Splott or Grangetown) is so thick and unique it doesn't even sound like a Welsh accent, more like a metallic Merseyside ping. Alex Jones, of the One Show, has about the strongest Ammanford accent possible.

I wonder if regional accents can still be detected by the mile in the South East, or whether Reality TV Estuary Vowels drowned them all out.

Also "super" I'd imagine.
    I do this.

I've got a friend who actually uses 'bother' as an exclamation when he's annoyed.

Well, I don't do that. My cousin does, though.

Quote Originally Posted by craner View Post
    I was awash in indistinguishable Northern noises.
    First line for a novel. No doubt.

any theories on how it came to be that the british BBC accent came to signify intelligence and sophistication in America?

was it because the first waves of British immigrants to the US were wealthy maybe? as opposed to the working class and poor which came from Italy and Poland?

I've always thought of posh accents being more a matter of using words like 'shall' and 'one' and saying 'should have' instead of 'should of'

Quote Originally Posted by slowtrain View Post
    and saying 'should have' instead of 'should of'
    Oh come on, there's no excuse for "should of"!

(sorry, I have slight grammar-Nazi tendencies...)
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you