Kuedo

Just don't hear it like the rest of you. To me, it sounds like a nice melange of things I've already heard (John Carpenter, in particular). And I expect, or at least hope for, more than that from Jamie Vex'd.

gumdrops

i loved degenerate and although yeah as the person a few posts up said this is more openly derivative than that, prob cos of the era/style he is homaging is totally my thing, im more forgiving. i suppose it would have been cool to get a vexd-style take on the more sources you can hear here. but in an interview i read he said that degenerate was more to do with roly from vexd than him so maybe thats why. and well a lot of the drums are still very much of the now though they never really dominate, its always about the synths on this album. i wouldnt mind hearing someone like el-p remix some of these tracks to make the hip hop influences more explicit.

i loved degenerate and although yeah as the person a few posts up said this is more openly derivative than that, prob cos of the era/style he is homaging is totally my thing, im more forgiving. i suppose it would have been cool to get a vexd-style take on the more sources you can hear here. but in an interview i read he said that degenerate was more to do with roly from vexd than him so maybe thats why. and well a lot of the drums are still very much of the now though they never really dominate, its always about the synths on this album. i wouldnt mind hearing someone like el-p remix some of these tracks to make the hip hop influences more explicit.

Interesting points. Oddly, the person I'd like to remix this album is Jamie himself. But the Jamie that did the remix of Scuba's Twitch, or In System Travel, which are so inventive I find them humbling.

I have heard more of the album in full now, though, and I'm starting to warm to it - its heartfelt quality draws me in. Perhaps it's an album that'll turn out to be emotionally rich enough for it's derivative qualities not to matter. Hope so.

BTW, big up Blackdown and Jamie for a fascinating interview. The discussion around 'futurism' and 'escapism' was particularly interesting, I thought, although I'm not yet sure what to make of it.

CrowleyHead

My only possible argument to the drum/synth prominence is possibly an increased focus on synths due to 'trap' beats. In most of those songs, the drum tracks are all generic for the most part, and the focus is placed on synth melodies. Initially, the Kuedo stuff was still coming out of Jamie negotiating a sort of hybrid of dubstep and the more 'true-school/drum centric' "Beat Scene" post-Fly-Lo stuff... Ugh. That sounded pretentious as hell with all those tags.

So something like say, the Scuba remix, it was more based in a Beat Generation context, but nowadays I imagine Jamie's listening to more Lugerian/Aarabmuzik stuff, where the drums aren't as much of a focus.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The interview on Blackdown's blog is very interesting. It seems like there's a lot of anxiety around at the moment viz. futurism, especially (exclusively?) in dance/electronic music. Sort of reminds me of a Ballard quote I read somewhere (probably very famous) where he says that his biggest fear is that we are already living in the future, and that the future will in fact be monotonous, endlessly repetitious, ultimately very static and banal.

The album sounds very good from the clips. The first track is just gawjuz. I don't really mind that it sounds retro (which it DOES, to me). It's not as if I can't listen to old music because I've heard it before... Although I'm sure many would argue that producers have a responsibility to tread new ground.

Interesting what he says (and Crowley above) about the trap influence. I can barely hear it on those clips, I must say... I mean, I CAN hear it because he's mentioned it. And the juke influence. I just wonder - in BOTH those scenes/genres I don't really get the impression that there's much 'futurist' drive in those producers at all. It's very functionalist music on one level, and the originality you can find in it is sort of a product of catering to audience/dancer/rapper's demands and having to carve out a niche for yourself in order to stick out from the pack. And of course raw invention without the burden of 'futurism' on your back.

Finally listening to this Araab Muzik album as I type, sounds sorta brilliant.

gumdrops

Perhaps it's an album that'll turn out to be emotionally rich enough for it's derivative qualities not to matter.

this, for me at least, is exactly why i keep returning to it. and im yet to get bored of it actually.

the trap rap influence is there, but the synths are what steer the album really, its never rhythmically weak like a lot of post dubstep (far as i know, hes not even listening to dubstep anymore?) but unusually for a dance producer, its almost like he came up with the melodies first (then again this also seems a characteristic of a fair amount of post dubstep, its just the melodies here are really stirring), drums later. im sure thats not how it happened, its just that the drums are quite simple, not hard enough to dominate like in hip hop, or to guide a rapper, but solid enough to let the synths float on top which makes it like a kind of glacial cousin to 'hood ambient' (stole this from someone else) stuff like aarabmuzik. i like how hes used juke too, its not really to the fore or anything, but its obv if you listen out for it.

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

I now want to make a hundred t-shirts that say "Hood Ambient".

It's funny; there's this interesting middle ground of stuff like Jamie and Zomby taking influence from modern rap beats, but then the sort of younger producers involved with the 'based' aesthetic repurposing IDM and overly reverbed ethereal boom-bap into hip-hop.

To me, THAT'S more interesting than most dance music, even when it's actually not.

you

The interview on Blackdown's blog is very interesting. It seems like there's a lot of anxiety around at the moment viz. futurism, especially (exclusively?) in dance/electronic music. Sort of reminds me of a Ballard quote I read somewhere (probably very famous) where he says that his biggest fear is that we are already living in the future, and that the future will in fact be monotonous, endlessly repetitious, ultimately very static and banal.

The album sounds very good from the clips. The first track is just gawjuz. I don't really mind that it sounds retro (which it DOES, to me). It's not as if I can't listen to old music because I've heard it before... Although I'm sure many would argue that producers have a responsibility to tread new ground.

Interesting what he says (and Crowley above) about the trap influence. I can barely hear it on those clips, I must say... I mean, I CAN hear it because he's mentioned it. And the juke influence. I just wonder - in BOTH those scenes/genres I don't really get the impression that there's much 'futurist' drive in those producers at all. It's very functionalist music on one level, and the originality you can find in it is sort of a product of catering to audience/dancer/rapper's demands and having to carve out a niche for yourself in order to stick out from the pack. And of course raw invention without the burden of 'futurism' on your back.

Finally listening to this Araab Muzik album as I type, sounds sorta brilliant.

dude - wheres that Ballard quote from??

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Seems strange, what with all the talk of futurism, to release the album on cassette, mind you. I suppose you could argue that it's an attempt to reestablish the format as part of the future. I dunno.

Actually I think it just further underlines the retro nature of the music/packaging of this Kuedo project, despite the claims of 'futurism'. I think he talks about this in his interview with Martin and probably in the Fact interview too - the fact that his 'futurism' basically amounts to images/sounds nicked from 70's/80's notions of the future (not intended as an insult, btw. I think the music/packaging is great!).

It's ironic/fitting, really, that 'the future' becomes, in this age of 'retromania', of (often unconsciously) post-modern recycling and stitching together of old ideas and images to create a sort of momentary freshness, ultimately just another retro cliche, even if it is (as he rightly points out) an emotionally - even spiritually - powerful, endlessly interesting one.

I dunno, I think he made some good arguments for his music being 'futuristic' in some way in those interviews. He said he likes listening to music which 'sounds like the future' - I think referring to the production of 'coke-rap' and Juke - and aims for that in his music; but when I listen to Kuedo I don't really hear anything as WTF as in those genres (particularly Juke). I hear 80's electro with a bit of juke/rap production styles thrown in. I don't think it has to be more than that, incidentally - its great music because its very simple and beautiful.

Leo

i really like this album, but it is very "retro futuristic", lots of the whole vangelis/john carpenter vibe people have mentioned. parts of it also remind me of the sort-of ambient stuff done by jeff mills and some other 80s/90s detroit electro.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I thought he was trying to get away from the retro thing and use sounds he thought were universally futuristic rather than futuristic in a certain context. There was a bit in one of the recent interviews when he said he thought the sounds had an inherent feel of the future to them, regardless of context, and that's why people first saw them as futuristic.

It does feel retro to me though.

Regardless, it's possibly the best album I've heard this year.

I think when he uses the word 'futuristic' he's really referring to a quality which evokes these fantasy images of space-ships, dystopian landscapes etc.

It just becomes slightly confusing when he invokes juke or Lex Luger style rap production as 'futuristic' inspiration because these genres generally don't seem to be shooting for that kind of futurism at all. The 'sound of the future' element to those genres is more a sense of ''I've never heard anything like that before'' not ''I've heard something like this before, but it makes me imagine a sci-fi future''.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Actually listening again to some clips I can see what Bandshell is saying - he's using these sounds which are quite retro in a way informed by juke/rap music. Sort of an appropriation of old sounds into new forms.