Art + Politics

gregor_s

They want you to know something, or believe something, or buy something...

They are engaged, professional & critical and have a nice career.

They are successful as a spectacle, and for it, and nothing but it, help me God...

I am not mad.

zhao

there are no accidents
sounds like you just got back from some openings :)

yeah it seems the art world doesn't even bother with any pretense of idealism anymore, and these days it's simply, obviously, with no shame what so ever, only about business and careerism.

edit: which is cool with me. because it's more honest.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I travel on the 'art line' in London alot cos I live on it, which connects Dalston to New Cross. Tonight there were two very well dressed gallerists who were having a conversation about visibility in art and how so-and-so had just disappeared, and I was just sitting there thinking, you know, the art world has completely internalised production. Every artist I know who is successful, you speak to them, and you go 'How are you?', normal question, and they're like 'I'm so busy, I'm just working all the time' and I'm like, yeah, great.

But most of what you do is shit.

This idea of perpetual production as being a learning goal in itself is such horseshit. Somewhere down the line artists turned into footballers.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
And art critics have turned into music journalists, they don't dare to question anything, the 'scene' or what it means. For the sake of their slim careers they piss puff pieces (with the exception of Brian Sewell, who is already too old and ridiculed to care about of any of that).

bruno

est malade
i've always seen it as a financial ruse rather than aything remotely to do with art. there is no relation between the artist/work and worth, the works and often the artists themselves are empty in the image of the industry. prices are inflated, artist/work/dealer self-worth is inflated, anything can be lavished in praise and given meaning, it feels like an elaborate mirage to get you to part with money. this would explain why there is such a good fit between art and advertisement.

gregor_s

iT's teh zynicizm i cANt stnd & + teh fakt teh zynicks r teh 111111ssss n charrge. & itz nt jst teh rrrtists THeY R ALLlliNonIt fkkkcking kon-spiracy

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
"you can always make video art" :confused:

the one on post-structuralism is actual brilliance, uncensored version

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
his responses to the youvideo comments are also gold..

Thanks for the tips. Can I also pile up sticks or rocks out in the woods or does someone have to see it?
teeveesteevee 5 months ago

@teeveesteevee someone has to see it while drinking wine
HennesyYoungman 5 months ago

also, i pointlessly chuckle to myself whenever i remember this one..

hennessy youngman said:
who you think you is, internet?

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
also (and imma stop after this) the one about personal mythology is just :D

i saw this video at the same time as i saw that actress gig being advertised.. the blurb calls him "A riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma" lol

gregor_s

This man is amusing but the issue is different. It's about the desire of artists + curators + academics + theorists to be political creatures, and how it manifests itself, specifically, in striking postures.

There is a market for these postures, and I cannot understand it. Are people trading shibboleths, or what? Creating idols... but to what? And why?

And most important: what do they do?

you

isn't this all about believing summat to buy in to, emotionally, with capital, education, cultural capital etc..... dudes just fancy something they can believe and buy into, like nike air....... like religion, politics, art or maccies.. if you believe it there is a market.... nowt wrong with that.

lanugo

von Verfall erzittern
There is more authenticity in a terrorist attack than in contemporary art.

There is more reality in stock photography than in contemporary art.

There is more beauty in plastic surgery than in contemporary art.

There is more truth in a corporate mission statement than in contemporary art.

There is more meaning in clinical depression than in contemporary art.

There is but one name for contemporary art: degenerate art.