Watch a star's death throes through your own telescope/binoculars: TONIGHT!

Ulala

Awkward Woodward
Gah, first check of Dissensus of the day and I'm too late to have seen this. Not that I know where me bins are, mind you, I appear to have mislaid them whilst moving house.

What did you see, Mr Tea? Was it spectacular?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Not a sausage...effing clouds... :(

Though I wonder how they knew one was going to be visible? Probably neutrinos or some crazy whack shit like that.

Ulala

Awkward Woodward
Perhaps they just have big telescopes pointed at every part of the sky and someone checks them every so often for anomalies. Neutrinos sounds right but I haven't even read any Hawking so my knowledge is threadbare, I just like looking at the sky. Shame there was nothing to be seen tonight.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yeah, I think in this kind of supernova there's a big burst of neutrinos released a few hours before the peak in visible emissions, and they travel so close to the speed of light that they're still in front of the photons when they reach Earth, where detectors can reconstruct where in the sky they came from.

Would have been cool to see something, ah well...

alex

Do not read this.
sky was very cloudy last night, also i hate looking up through binoculars. I've got a really good pair, but on the date (this/last?) year when you could see jupiter, I just couldn't hold them still enough to get a good glance.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
i once met oxide from oxide and neutrino when they were big and asked him what synths he liked to use to make his basslines with. he got a bit furtive and after a long pause he said 'whatevers in the studio'

always wondered if this meant they were the 2step equivalent of a boy band after that

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Haha, I always thought they deserved some sort of prize for being the group-most-obviously-named-by-picking-two-words-at-random-from-a-scientific-dictionary.