Suggest to me a book or article that elaborates upon concept X

dilbert1

@Clinamenic I’m sure you get asked this a lot and have answered elsewhere, but whats up w crypto/web3/NFT world these days? Back during the zenith of hype, a friend of mine was getting ‘seed funding’ to build some video game-DAW hybrid I was convinced was vaporware. The game’s basically finished but they never released it, I guess a lot of the team just moved on as the pandemic died down. Another guy I know lost his mind, couldn’t get a sentence out without using the word “distribution” or uttering some weird masochistic joke about intentionally ruining your life and enjoying it.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
@Clinamenic I’m sure you get asked this a lot and have answered elsewhere, but whats up w crypto/web3/NFT world these days? Back during the zenith of hype, a friend of mine was getting ‘seed funding’ to build some video game-DAW hybrid I was convinced was vaporware. The game’s basically finished but they never released it, I guess a lot of the team just moved on as the pandemic died down. Another guy I know lost his mind, couldn’t get a sentence out without using the word “distribution” or uttering some weird masochistic joke about intentionally ruining your life and enjoying it.
Web3 is still quite active, but thankfully the bear market (largely brought on by a few big exchanges like FTX and Celsius going down, VC groups like Three Arrows going down, and a couple mid-sized stablecoins destabilizing) has swept away most of the speculative noise, leaving mostly the people who are focused on the non-financial applications of the tech. In my case, I mainly focus on governance, like this article.

Most of my investments didn't pan out, but thankfully in my case it was just due to a lack of financial and market knowledge and poor risk assessment, rather than being scammed. I did lose $200 of ETH to a malicious DeFi protocol though. Lately ETH has been up, which is pretty much the only crypto I hold. But I still do business is stablecoins (pay contractors in stablecoins, receive payments from clients in fiat and stablecoins, give and receive grants in stablecoins and ETH, etc), but only the big stablecoins which have (thus far) had good track records, like DAI and USDC.

While I would really benefit from another bull run, ultimately I dread it because I know it will flood the industry again with bullshit artists and irrational exuberance. I really do love the web3 industry, at least the public goods sector (I'm helping run a grants program now, for civics and advocacy projects on Public Goods Network). I hope to keep doing pro bono or "quasi bono" work in this sector, seeing as there generally isn't a lot of funding available for these experimental nonprofit orgs. Its a shame this sector (public goods sector on Ethereum and Ethereum layer-2's) doesn't get mainstream coverage at all, what with the SBF controversy dominating the popular mindshare on the topic, so yeah its almost impossible for me to explain to people what I do haha.

sufi

lala
Actually I just learned it’s not NFTs, but it’s a digital business card, so essentially like scanning a QR code, but instead you’re tapping your nail on someone’s phone.
do they need an app to communicate with the fingernail?

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
do they need an app to communicate with the fingernail?
I’m not sure, but my guess is that it auto loads some website on the phones default browser. I’ve seen keycards that do the same thing, but haven’t tried them. Could be easy to configure this stuff in a malicious way, but I could also just be misunderstanding it.

sus

They were littered across his bathroom btw that's how I know. Have not directly witnessed. To be clear

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
If this helps, this is the sort of thing I work on: peer-to-peer org design. I've got a whole article I'm working on to explain this, cause otherwise this diagram would be gibberish haha

Personal Diagrams.jpg

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
You guys want me to believe this stuff isn’t evil and you’re calling it the “Moloch Framework” ??

View attachment 16884
Yeah thats kind of the most ironic thing in the industry, that pretty much the whole field of governance experimentation is largely inspired by Meditations on Moloch, and the team that created the leading peer-to-peer governance framework named it after Moloch instead of after whatever canonical protagonist it could have been named after. Daniel Schmachtenberger made the same point somewhere, I believe.