luka

Even after we established that I’m fatally trapped in time and pulled a train with my Dad in the South, still no answer from Luke about why he hates ‘Hell on Earth’...

we've been thru this! it's terrible! they only made one good record.

luka

they perfected the sound on the infamous, tried to replicate it on every other album subsequently but never captured it. it became plodding and cartoonish, one-dimensional. the subtlety stripped out. perhaps q-tip was the magic ingredient as much as it pains me to say it.

craner

Beast of Burden
Yes to that apart from Hell on Earth which is not better than the Infamous but harder, purer, crystalline. It’s a fine album, a decent and logical sequel. The others are all shit.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Prodigy fell off after Hell on Earth, presumably at least partly due to health issues. And also for some reason Havoc stopped producing so much of their tunes, and also declined.

Haven't listened to HOEarth in years but I remember Extortion, Still Shining and the title track all being good.

Still some classics dotted about 'USA (aight then)' 'Thug Muzik'... 'Outta Control' sort of although that was Dre and 50 really

craner

Beast of Burden
Havoc was/is an alcoholic. Most of their issues seemed to stem from that. But what a producer, and also for a second rapper, very underrated. Did Pete Rock or Showbiz step up as well? No way! At least Premier never really tried to.

I obviously have a soft spot for Havoc and Guru and their liquid demons.

CrowleyHead

It doesn't help matters that a rich white backpacker used them as a vehicle for credibility.

At the end of the day though I don't even like Mobb Deep outside of certain songs and I think The Infamous is already a cartoon of the Juice Crew Revivalist Axis which is Biggie/Wu-Tang/Nas. They're johnny come latelies and the debut album shows it. Which makes it so funny that Luka thinks so lowly of Roc Marciano when the gap between Marci and Prodigy is nil.

luka

crowley, i appreciate the quixotic ambition of the project but i very much doubt you are going to completely reverse the reputation of the infamous, certainly not here where it is virtually the ark of the covenant.