Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: the rap canon needs rewriting

Default the rap canon needs rewriting

cos the 'best 100 rap albums' are almost all boring.

all of them? theyre ALL boring?

yeah it gets a bit boring seeing PE's nation... at the top of every one of these lists but i mean, its still a great album. you see it in the list, and think yawn, but then you put it on, and think, fuck, this is actually still fucking good. same with illmatic. cant see gucci mane or lil boosie replacing them anytime soon, sorry.

Nah I fully agree any "greatest" list generally consists of a load of music fetishised (sic) by backpackers and Swedes that's dated horribly and gives the impression that music stopped in 1997.

i will find a list and prove my point.

cos the 'best 100 rap albums' are almost all boring.
    all of them? theyre ALL boring?
    1.read more carerfully.

2.allow for hyperbole

late nineties early noughties 4tw

*waits for list*

Quote Originally Posted by trilliam View Post
    late nineties early noughties 4tw

*waits for list*
    Now this is pure fantasy.

It's amazing though as to what is considered important to what generation. You ask older 'heads' about say... Group Home for example, they say Group Home had one song, and that they didn't deserve a whole LP. Likewise for Camp Lo. Perspective is an incredibly funny thing.

I mean, people at one point took Channel Live serious. I am SO much happier with myself for liking Gucci than I'd have been listening to those creeps.

I'd definitely like to see some alernative list that takes mixtapes and individual tracks into account, rather than just 'classic albums'. Lots of hip hop albums are spoiled by too many skits if you ask me, or are just overlong and bloated. I really liked that Woebot list actually, shame its not on the net anymore.

But Luka, what are your new criteria?

you have to admit though, with the exception of some lesser known more abstract rappers, that the subject matter of most hip-hop has been somewhat generic for the last 10 years+

most of the heads harping on about illmatic etc found that music so amazing as its was a new take on things, there are far few rappers now talking about the sort of things P.E, native tongues were talking about?

Agree with Benny - singles seems a more fruitful way to go. I dont' liek many albums all the way through, period. Of whatever genre.

The things that annoys me more than the top 100 hip hop albums is the token PE album in more general album lists. And maybe they'll put Illmatic in if you're lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    The things that annoys me more than the top 100 hip hop albums is the token PE album in more general album lists. And maybe they'll put Illmatic in if you're lucky.
    It interests me that Illmatic was not hailed as an instant classic, but achieved canonical status by the end of the 90s. Tbf the interesting bit is how anyone in 94 might have heard those verses over those beats and not figured that it was so much better than the competition.

So I'm a person who thinks all the best hip hop was made by 1995. Can someone give me a canonical list of great hip hop tracks made this century?

I like illmatic but I don't like it that much.

Maybe I'm just rap stupid.

I would definitely be interested in a more mixtape/track based list though. Rap albums don't usually seem to work all the way through.

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    Agree with Benny - singles seems a more fruitful way to go. I dont' liek many albums all the way through, period. Of whatever genre.
    CDs are partly to blame for spoiling later period rap albums, 75 mins or whatever is far too long and always has to be filled up with nigh on half an hour of shit (or useless 'bonus' tracks). Mixtapes are also a trawl obviously but need to be taken into account...how would you even begin to make a canon out of all this stuff? Would you out Lil B in there?!

b you are right about cds.
    also definitely generational. so many of the early 90s ny albums are dull to me. im going for yum cha but i will find a list or two later. i wanna find the hhc best lps of all time list.

It interests me that Illmatic was not hailed as an instant classic
    for what its worth this is wrong. it was massively hyped before release i was reading rap magazines at the time. 5 mics in the source for instance.