How England Sees Itself

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
lol luka baked beans are horrible, your general Englishman only likes them cos mum gave them to him with fish fingers when he grazed his knee trying to flee the big boys. factor in war-time austerity and second-hand wartime nostalgia... mamma's apron, indeed. beans with everything.

D

droid

Droid, of course, is a particularly advanced human specimen, as we can glean from his clear identfication with the Palestinian cause.

Thanks for illustrating the point so succinctly Oliver.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Baked beans are the veriest ambrosia. Not sure how English they are though, I mean Heinz is an American company isn't it?

But I guess a baked bean pizza is probably a uniquely English creation.

Last edited:

luka

c6045.jpg

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Coming back to the earlier point about Thatcher being an aberration in the conservative lineage - perhaps, but it doesn't really matter if the present Tory government (coalition, whatever) is so rabidly in awe of Thatcher and persisting with her project of impoverishing the vulnerable and of destroying any collective organisation that might threaten this project (Cameron's bleatings about the unions this week could have come straight from t he 80s).

Maybe (at least in the US and UK) what it means to be a 'conservative' has shifted permanently, rather than Thatcher being an aberration? The worrying thing is, the voters seem to have gone with it, which kinda inspired what I was saying about lack of empathy and fear, and the connections between the two (certainly many people are dissuaded from becoming politically active 'cos of economic fear; however, there is also a tipping point, where enough people feel they have nothing to lose any more, and it will be interesting to see when this is reached in the UK, if ever....).

IdleRich

IdleRich
"One thing that cannot be denied is that the vast majority of national newspapers in Britain, both in terms of number of titles and circulations figures, are decidedly to the right of centre."
Where is the centre though?

That survey on IQs is kinda interesting, I liked the one that said that athiests actually do better on questions about the bible and the one last week which said that people who watch Fox News as their main news source are significantly less likely to know about the Arab Spring than those who claim to watch no news at all. I like them but I don't know if they mean anything.

Anyway, I'm going to go and eat some beans on toast.

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
yeah who am i kidding i love beans but i normally only have them with a hangover fryup, did you know they make that sugary, gloopy sauce out of whizzed-up angel wings and dragon blood? they're endangered yknow. weird i didn't know Heinz was American, how come you always hear ex-pat slebs moaning you can only buy them in special imported shops in America?

i like those, IdleRich.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
people who watch Fox News as their main news source are significantly less likely to know about the Arab Spring than those who claim to watch no news at all.

This is funny - Fox News as anti-news - it doesn't just misinform people, it actually sucks knowledge of them, neutralises it.

craner

Beast of Burden
I don't have cable, but I've heard that their Middle East coverage isn't that bad; I mean, they definately cover it.

craner

Beast of Burden
I don't have anything to go on here beyond their coverage of Saudi Arabia circa 2005, described by a friend, which sounded a lot better than any other networks and outlets -- including the BBC, which basically ignores the topic. Mind you, he was Jewish.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Oh dear lord...

funniest+fox+new+fails+lol_cffcd4_2488656.jpg

Third from bottom is actually kinda awesome, though.

Last edited: