Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132

Thread: How England Sees Itself

Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    Tea!
    You leave me out of this, please.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    You leave me out of this, please.
    Tea! Nicked off the Indians at gun point and then passed off on the rest of the world as evidence of our supposed civility and good manners! Doesn't get any more English than that!

Three lions on your shirt, the blood-soaked legacy of the pillage of Africa!

Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    Tea! Nicked off the Indians at gun point and then passed off on the rest of the world as evidence of our supposed civility and good manners! Doesn't get any more English than that!
    Don't forget the wars waged with China to force them to accept opium imports to balance the trade deficit caused by our addiction to tea. I think the whole mephedrone thing from a few years ago was a belated revenge for that.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

no surprise in those yougov findings.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ys-myths-gifts

Apologists for empire like to claim that the British brought democracy, the rule of law and trains to India. Isn’t it a bit rich to oppress, torture and imprison a people for 200 years, then take credit for benefits that were entirely accidental?
    i think england has lots to be proud of, though i do find it disconcerting that its the empire that has prob given britons the biggest boost to their national/cultural sense of esteem, albeit unconsciously in a lot of ways, and probably something that has just passed down over the decades/centuries thanks to british propaganda.

i dont think many britons know much about empires in general though - EG one woman i work with went to morocco and had no idea why people there spoke french.
    Last edited by rubberdingyrapids; 26-07-2017 at 11:35 AM.

Meanwhile, Michael Gove bemoaned the lack of emphasis on Churchill, eminent Victorians and “Britain and her empire” in the history curriculum. Or “our island story”, as he put it. “This trashing of our past has to stop,” he complained.
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...istopher-nolan