How England Sees Itself

firefinga

Since I am not British I might not "get it" but .... wasn't the British Empire dismantled almost entirely shortly after WW2? What are those people then proud of (taken into account the poll was done in 2014)? Gibraltar and the Falklands?

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
Since I am not British I might not "get it" but .... wasn't the British Empire dismantled almost entirely shortly after WW2? What are those people then proud of (taken into account the poll was done in 2014)? Gibraltar and the Falklands?

Our proud colonial legacy! The commonwealth! bringing civilisation! Trade! The Church of England! The world service! Tea! The English Lion rampant!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Tea! Nicked off the Indians at gun point and then passed off on the rest of the world as evidence of our supposed civility and good manners! Doesn't get any more English than that!

Don't forget the wars waged with China to force them to accept opium imports to balance the trade deficit caused by our addiction to tea. I think the whole mephedrone thing from a few years ago was a belated revenge for that.

rubberdingyrapids

no surprise in those yougov findings.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/08/india-britain-empire-railways-myths-gifts

Apologists for empire like to claim that the British brought democracy, the rule of law and trains to India. Isn’t it a bit rich to oppress, torture and imprison a people for 200 years, then take credit for benefits that were entirely accidental?

i think england has lots to be proud of, though i do find it disconcerting that its the empire that has prob given britons the biggest boost to their national/cultural sense of esteem, albeit unconsciously in a lot of ways, and probably something that has just passed down over the decades/centuries thanks to british propaganda.

i dont think many britons know much about empires in general though - EG one woman i work with went to morocco and had no idea why people there spoke french.

Last edited:

cwmbran-city

Decent new BBC program titled 'Invasion' is doing the rounds, the presenter is annoying but the themes are immense. Even as an archaeologist the new archaeo-genetic data on early prehistoric migrations up to the Beaker folks has been illuminating (Time Team jumpers have been left @ home). It deepens the chronologies for English prehistory in a way that doesnt default to "Celt vs Anglo-Saxon" binary views of later migrations & anything that emphasizes the complexity of multiple migrations & their impacts is a relief in these post-Brexit times.

Similarly, the Julian Cope adaptation of his Modern Antiquarian work is well worth a watch, just to lift the veil off mainland Britain's deep relationship with its places of special virtue and reverence of ancestors. Loads of English sites are explored & while JC's habit of dressing like a well-techno Spiral Triber & rock n rolling the views & habits of prehistoric people shouldnt work, its actually really charming:

As a half-Welsh, half Irish heathen & having lived all over Inglan have a great deal of fondness for specific places & its people, rural & urban, BUT, but when it comes to sport the olde rivalries creep out....

cwmbran-city

I can't speak Welsh, I just let the funky vowels and double ll's do the talking.

2017 has been spent trying to learn conversational Cymraeg so my ancestors dont disown me when the chips fall

found Gaelic to be a lot easier to read, with Welsh some words can take 3 or 4 attempts to nail fully, its like a verbal obstacle course (sorry Gran)

cwmbran-city

After the Shambles of a film like Nolan's Dunkirk, on the idiot lantern Sky's showing Britannia in a few weeks (did i already type this b4?), the premise is interesting; the Roman invasion of Britain & their goal to wipe out the Druids.

The whole period never really shines on screen due to cliches, unless you're Spartacus or Brian, eg:

trailer thing

cwmbran-city

kin ell, what a bag of shite

the Stig of the Dump costumes, the GoT's-lite hair styles, the Roman general bloke who either grins while pouring and glugging wine or shouts, now n again he'll stare blankly to convey whateverthefuck, McK Crook's eating disorder version of Apolcalypse Now's Colonel Kurtz, and the druid clan with dreds....yeah lets compare a trans-European belief system to new-age travelers, cos they had dreds and rim shotted bongos @ Stonehenge each Solstice

an enviable opportunity missed

has a few flourishes, one or two moments on magic that get halfway to describing said beliefs, 2 lost Roman troops on the run who stumble on a local druid's drug stash

the title are the best bit

edit - another subliminal & convoluted Brexit story

version

I read some offhand comment recently where someone said something along the lines of "... but as we all know, every single English person believes they personally fought in WW2" and couldn't help but feel that there was some truth in it.