How England Sees Itself

crackerjack

Fucksake, I was gonna give the author the benefit of the doubt for that awful headline, which most likely came from a sub-ed, but she can't get halfway through without mentioning Churchill.

hucks

Your Message Here
I was down in Folkestone a few weeks ago and the local papers are talking about it becoming the new Margate, it's in real trouble.

For people outside of the Uk, Margate has changed somewhat but for a while I would say maybe 80 percent of its shops were closed, it was like a ghosttown.

Also for fashion fans, the kids on the street corners of Folkestone appear to have taken to wearing one-piece animal onesies. So you can now buy your smack off a guy dressed as a tiger. It's quite scary.

Ha!

That's really interesting about the small coastal towns. Even in the new labour boom years, all the development money went into places like Manchester, Leeds, Glasgow. Small towns were getting left behind anyway and now they've basically been downsized further. I went to Blackburn for the football last season and all it had was NHS mental health places and the EDL. Apparently it's miles better than Rochdale.

woops

is not like other people
I went to Blackburn for the football last season and all it had was NHS mental health places and the EDL. Apparently it's miles better than Rochdale.

Not true, it also has the Thwaites brewery, who hoist a star every Christmas, which as Blackburn is in a valley is near eye level entering the town

DSC_6534-330x227.jpg

It is a fucking dump.

droid

Im genuinely touched by your concern Oliver, but reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.

zhao

there are no accidents

slowly, very, VERY slowly, in 2013, BEGINNING TO seep back into popular consciousness: Black Athena and the restoration of non-isolated, non-European origins of European civilization, after being accepted by academia in the 90s.

i remember having a huge argument here with someone who said that your common street person does not have an absurd Eurocentric view of the world and knows about Greece having come from Africa and Asia. LOL bollocks.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Zhao, do you consider civilization to be, in the most general possible sense, a good thing or a bad thing?

zhao

there are no accidents
Zhao, do you consider civilization to be, in the most general possible sense, a good thing or a bad thing?

in some senses good, in some senses bad.

agriculture was probably a trade of quality for quantity.

A clear headed, neutral measurement is next to impossible, especially from people like us, separated by millennia, who only know, and have only experienced, our domesticated way of life.

But that is a separate issue: when we talk about the origins of our modern civilization we are speaking in a smaller scale, within the context of civilization.

And within this sphere, i am a proponent of the view of European civilization as a part of, in many ways descendent from, the Mid Eastern/Asian/African constellation of much older civilizations.

Last edited:

droid

...As a result, not only does British imperialism receive exaltation and eulogy, but the postcolonial melancholia that afflicts public political culture is premised on the idea it was built on virtue and the diligence, strength, and courage of British people.

“If we are going to sin, we must sin quietly.” This advice, from the attorney general of colonial Kenya to its governor, Evelyn Baring, when stipulating the forced labor policies in detention camps in Kenya in the late 1950s, became a motto for Britain’s intervention in its colonies. This line encapsulates the central argument to Ian Cobain’s recently published The History Thieves, which sets out the history of state secrecy and its vital importance in shaping the public image of the nation.

The apogee of the secret state in purposefully hiding information from the public in the postwar period was necessary for sculpting an official narrative about British imperialism and its war efforts divorced from the truth of its brutality. Imperialists were often all too aware that if the true nature of their mission was exposed it would also undermine the image of liberal democracy that was deployed to distinguish the West from authoritarian regimes.

Cobain’s book demonstrates the function that secrecy played in allowing the British state to maintain a veneer of accountability and transparency. To peek behind this veneer is to see the atrocities committed during wars of decolonization, the secret deployment of British troops in various theaters of war, the colonial files hidden in secret archives, the cover-up of state-sponsored death squads in Northern Ireland, and the obstruction of justice through secret courts...

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2016/11/british-empire-kenya-oman-ireland-state-secrecy/